cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Mustang

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Electric Mustang has this been reported? If so never mind.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
67 REPLIES 67

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
rjstractor wrote:
You're right, Google shows no Superchargers but Tesla lists 3, including the one in Ritzville. I saw two more in Eastern Wa but not along I90. Anyway, I'd happily lose a case of Canadian beer as long as the winner shared! ๐Ÿ™‚

Your on. Of course, first I need to buy the Tesla so I might need to hit you up for a few bucks. Iโ€™m not going to take the bet if I have to use my leaf. Great car but itโ€™s better suited to max travel days of 550 km with a half hour lunch charge stop. Iโ€™ll be checking my stocking for a model S this Christmas. Not holding my breath. ๐Ÿ™‚

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
You're right, Google shows no Superchargers but Tesla lists 3, including the one in Ritzville. I saw two more in Eastern Wa but not along I90. Anyway, I'd happily lose a case of Canadian beer as long as the winner shared! ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
rjstractor wrote:
Reisender wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Reisander wrote:
I would take that bet...if I owned a model S.

The model S would have to make it the 280 miles on a charge to win the bet. No problem if we stayed at legal speeds, but could an S go that far on a charge through the winds and rolling hills at 100+ mph? I would think that speed affects range in an EV like any car.

Speed definitely affects range. I would think at that speed the gasser would get half the gas mileage as well though. No idea how big a gas tank is on that car so hard to say. The range of a model S is 370 miles at highway speeds. Might be a quick 10 minute Supercharge involved. I think the model S would be way more fun though. Nice cars.

Ok, you're on! ๐Ÿ™‚ No Superchargers between Seattle and Spokane. There is a public EV charging station in Ritzville but I don't know how fast that will charge a Tesla. Maybe 2 hours? I'll have to stop for fuel there too but that only takes 5 minutes.

All joshing aside, the performance of the new EVs is incredible. I think most, especially the Teslas are much more powerful than they need to be and have sort of become playthings for the rich. I'd like to see more affordable and readily available EVs on the market. Right now my local VW dealer has 12 eGolfs sitting on the lot for about $30K. If I were in the market for a new car I'd seriously consider one, although their practical winter range is a little too short for comfort.

Heh heh. Yah the whole is a little...different. Literally half the range of most of the mainstream EVโ€™s sold. I think their new offering (the ID series) will be a big improvement. They are a year to two years away in North America though.

So a Tesla model S can charge at a public station...if they have a Chademo adapter. BUT. Regardless of the speed of the public charger be it 50 KW, 100 KW or whatever, the Tesla Chademo adapter is limited to 50 KW. Sooooo, although it wouldnโ€™t be two hours it will be about half the speed of what it could charge at a Supercharger. I think I would still take the bet but would set the wager at something like a case of Canadian beer. :).

Just a heads up. I see 4 Superchargers between Seattle and Spokane with about 30 ish ports. Also another half dozen Chademo locations. Assuming I am looking at the right route.

Cheers.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Reisender wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Reisander wrote:

The model S would have to make it the 280 miles on a charge to win the bet. No problem if we stayed at legal speeds, but could an S go that far on a charge through the winds and rolling hills at 100+ mph? I would think that speed affects range in an EV like any car.

Speed definitely affects range. I would think at that speed the gasser would get half the gas mileage as well though. No idea how big a gas tank is on that car so hard to say. The range of a model S is 370 miles at highway speeds. Might be a quick 10 minute Supercharge involved. I think the model S would be way more fun though. Nice cars.

Ok, you're on! ๐Ÿ™‚ No Superchargers between Seattle and Spokane. There is a public EV charging station in Ritzville but I don't know how fast that will charge a Tesla. Maybe 2 hours? I'll have to stop for fuel there too but that only takes 5 minutes.

All joshing aside, the performance of the new EVs is incredible. I think most, especially the Teslas are much more powerful than they need to be and have sort of become playthings for the rich. I'd like to see more affordable and readily available EVs on the market. Right now my local VW dealer has 12 eGolfs sitting on the lot for about $30K. If I were in the market for a new car I'd seriously consider one, although their practical winter range is a little too short for comfort.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
All depends on how far you're racing. I'll take my wife's 120K mile Kia Forte and race any just about EV from Seattle to Spokane. ๐Ÿ˜‰
How about see who goes further on $100 of fuel?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Electric vehicles will be here soon. It is good marketing to put out some fast and cool looking vehicles to overcome the stigma some people have about them.

The key to their popularity will be building the infracstructure to charge them. I know a guy that has an electic BMW. He charges it in our little town here in Nevada.

The distance a vehicle can go on a charge will continue to increase with better batteries. We better start figuring out where we are going to get all of that lithium. When we make the jump to a new and better battery design, then EVs will get popular.

Imagine a vehicle that lasts a long time, is cheap to run, needs little maintenance and is fast.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
rjstractor wrote:
Reisander wrote:

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Reisander wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
danrclem wrote:

The Mustang isn't completely about speed. To me it's about a small sporty car that can be used for anything from getting groceries to racing down the 1320. A lot of the early Mustangs had a 170 cid inline six and that certainly wasn't a fast car. The Mustang didn't lead drag racing until 1968 1/2 when they released the 428 Cobra Jet. Most of the 1964 1/2 thru 1973 Mustangs either had six bangers or small V8s.

They may put the Mustang tag on the EV but it won't be considered a Mustang by many.

Carroll Shelby took used Mustangs, rebuilt them and called them a Shelby. To me they aren't a Shelby and never will be a Shelby. They originally went down the assembly line and had a Mustang vin stamped on them and not a Shelby.

I tried to make the point about the economy roots earlier.
As for the Shelby, IIRC Shelby bought new cars without engines, and the engines, and built the cars with his name on them.
Not sure about Ford, but any A body GM car before model year 1970 with over 400 CID was built by a 3rd party.

It is correct that that 1965 thru 1970 Shelbys were built out of new Mustangs. I don't recall the time period but it was much later than the originals were made. They bought used Mustangs and rebuilt them and put a Shelby tag on them. It was all about the money and to me the only real Shelby Mustangs were built during the 1965 to 1970 time period. I think the 1970 models were actually leftover 1969 models and they made a few cosmetic changes.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fordlover wrote:
Honestly I was a bit jealous, I wish I could just hang out in the middle of a work day in a parking lot for a half hour+ or so to refuel my vehicle. In the mean time I'll have to rely on my ICE vehicle and rely on the <4 minute refill time.
I sense a bit of sarcasm. For around town there is no reason to spend the time as you saw because you would be full every morning as you charge overnight. Fuel saving would pay for your BBQ fix.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the local BBQ joint the other day for lunch, and saw a strange sight, 7 teslas were parked in the EV parking area getting juiced up(the most Tesla's I've seen at one time). The owners were just sorta loitering around their vehicles, and appeared to be in no hurry at all.

Honestly I was a bit jealous, I wish I could just hang out in the middle of a work day in a parking lot for a half hour+ or so to refuel my vehicle. In the mean time I'll have to rely on my ICE vehicle and rely on the <4 minute refill time.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
danrclem wrote:

The Mustang isn't completely about speed. To me it's about a small sporty car that can be used for anything from getting groceries to racing down the 1320. A lot of the early Mustangs had a 170 cid inline six and that certainly wasn't a fast car. The Mustang didn't lead drag racing until 1968 1/2 when they released the 428 Cobra Jet. Most of the 1964 1/2 thru 1973 Mustangs either had six bangers or small V8s.

They may put the Mustang tag on the EV but it won't be considered a Mustang by many.

Carroll Shelby took used Mustangs, rebuilt them and called them a Shelby. To me they aren't a Shelby and never will be a Shelby. They originally went down the assembly line and had a Mustang vin stamped on them and not a Shelby.

I tried to make the point about the economy roots earlier.
As for the Shelby, IIRC Shelby bought new cars without engines, and the engines, and built the cars with his name on them.
Not sure about Ford, but any A body GM car before model year 1970 with over 400 CID was built by a 3rd party.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
This wouldโ€™ve been better off as an Explorer with the Mach E name. This is not and never will be a Mustang. Ford tried to kill the Mustang back in the 90โ€™s and we said no. We were fine for 25+ years! Now they are trying again. Trying to pass off an all electric crossover as a Mustang to the Hipster crowd. This is going to be deadly to the Mustang.

Donโ€™t do it Ford! Youโ€™ll be sorry.

Can't have a Explorer that's faster than the Mustang. Anyways this name will not do any harm to the Mustang car, but perhaps Ford is anticipating a decline in car sales as we now know the Camaro will most likely get the axe and the future of the Dodge Charger is questionable.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Can't have a Explorer that's faster than the Mustang. Anyways this name will not do any harm to the Mustang car, but perhaps Ford is anticipating a decline in car sales as we now know the Camaro will most likely get the axe and the future of the Dodge Charger is questionable.
This is a big reason to enjoy electric vehicles. Those SUVs will drive with far more spirited acceleration and handling. No more lumbering bread wagons.