cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loud Water Pump

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new camper and the water pump really resonates on the floor. I think the pump is fine, but it's bolted to the floor under the kitchen sink- and vibrates just right for the floor to really amplify it.

I've got an idea or two to put some padding between it and the floor, but would also like to see if other folks here have come up with some brilliant solutions.

Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
If you are fit enough and got the urge might be able to make a separate mounting board mounted it self with big thick rubber bushings to structure and then mount the pump to it with bit thick rubber bushings and a loop in the hoses on both sides of the pump. Don't let them ump anything either

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
I like a potable pump that I can hear. That way you know if a tap is dripping and can deal with it before you potable supply gets pumped overboard.

Coming the marine trades and such, this was a constant worry. More than once, sitting in the main cabin someone would hear the potable pump rattle and jump up to find the errant tap.

Matt

That is another reason It doesn't bother me. Nice to know that if you hear it running there is an issue.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I also like to hear the water pump run. That burp when there is a slow leak someplace saved a bathroom floor recently. Also turning the pump on after being gone for a while and hearing nothing is a good feeling.

Now rattling water pipes just have to be quieted somehow. Been there, done that also.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I like a potable pump that I can hear. That way you know if a tap is dripping and can deal with it before you potable supply gets pumped overboard.

Coming the marine trades and such, this was a constant worry. More than once, sitting in the main cabin someone would hear the potable pump rattle and jump up to find the errant tap.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing quieted mine... I bought a brand new unit, 75% quieter. An accumulator quieted it to 90%. Can still here it if I listen for it.

Been tempted to take the old one apart and see if Some debris got into it.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto to Old Biscuit. That will cure 90 percent of pump noise issues.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I can hear mine...and maybe it's loud. Dunno. Doesn't bother me.

I like the idea of hearing it just in case there is a leak or a tap wasn't shut off properly.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
My water pump makes the rat a tat tat until 100% of the air is purged out of the system.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
One persons really loud is normal to another. Check the pump mounting. A bit of foam backed carpeting might reduce it. Check those pipes too. We use our pump 100% of the time. Fill the tank through a water softener then use the pump. It makes different sounds for different reasons. Kinda letting me know how it & my water system is feeling.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
On my TT it was also bolted to the floor, but it was mounted to a flexible rubber foot. Mine was loud also. I never really bothered with it because we only dry camped about 3 times in 13 years. What I did notice was although the pump was mounted on a flexible mount the water lines were rigid mounted. If I were to quiet it down I would've cut the lines back and looped flexible lines so it didn't transfer vibrations. However i fixed that by buying a class A with the pump mounted down in the storage compartment. Now I can barely hear it,

That was my $65k fix!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like the 'Factory floor monkey' way over tightened the pump mounting screws

The rubber pads under the mounts should NOT be flattened/.over-compressed
Mounting screws should be SNUG ---just enough to hold water pump in place

Loosen those mounting screws then just snug them and give the pump a test run
With oump running lightly tighten each screw slightly if still vibrating

Also check the routing of the discharge hose which should be flex tubing vs rigid PEX pipe
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
K3WE wrote:
I've got an idea or two to put some padding between it and the floor, but would also like to see if other folks here have come up with some brilliant solutions.

Here's my "brilliant solution" ... 2 pics, 1 video. Pump operation is so quiet I had to add a light to the pump circuit so I'd know when it's running. Click "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's usually water lines that are up against hard walls and floors vibrating that makes most of the noise and not the pump itself. I would look for those spots first and use pipe insulation or foam to isolate them from hard surfaces.