cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unfair Reservation System?

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking ahead to the 2020 season, one of the parks we stay at every year has a new way for reserving sites that I never encountered before. Aune Osborn (awesome park for ship watching) which is a city owned park in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan which for this upcoming season has it set up so if you are staying a month or more you get the first couple of days once the reservation window opens up. Then after those two days are up the people with 2 weeks or more get the next two days, and then finally it's open to everyone else which includes us as we usually stay for only a few days. Problem is its going to be impossible to reserve the river front sites that we always have had as we get last chance after the longer term people. I guess it probably makes sense for filling sites but the fact it is no longer a level field really stinks. We will see what happens, if we can't get the river front sites we will most likely move on to somewhere else. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Aune Osborn schedule
Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
12 REPLIES 12

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:
Florida state parks and Recreation.Gov have the same policies for everyone. It's a serious PITA but if you don't book very early you can forget it.
One county park near St Petersburg FL gives preference to their residents and it is one of the most beautiful GCs in the country. They don't like dogs either, oh the shame of it. (we travel with one)

I think you are referring to Ft DeSoto - Yes, residents get preference, as it should be... same with Sarasota County.
Ft. DeSoto does indeed like dogs-- there is a camp loop specifically for campers traveling with dogs(79 sites) . There is a 2.5 acre fenced in/off leash dog play area as well as a dedicated beach for dogs !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bob_Stolarski
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Big Katuna , we have been noticing the same problem with the Corp of Engineer parks. The locals book the weekends from spring until it's too cold (depends where it is) and if you would like a week or two, there are no sites that can be booked! This is thru reservations.gov. Used to be reserveamerica, then they took over their own bookings and it's still happening ! Hate it and they need to do something about it. Sites are sitting empty M-F as people have found somewhere else for their week or two which includes weekends that they wanted.

Too bad I guess. The system works the same for you when trying to book two weeks as it does for the "locals" as you call them trying to book for two days.

Since most if not all public campgrounds were originally created for "locals" to provide recreation within a certain distance of populated areas less National parks, maybe you should lighten up a little. Most were not built for accommodating full timers, overnight travelers, or long term renters and Snowbirds. While you're on a site for an entire two weeks you could very well be taking up a weekend a local wanted because they work 50 hours a week and it's the only days off they get.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
Big Katuna , we have been noticing the same problem with the Corp of Engineer parks. The locals book the weekends from spring until it's too cold (depends where it is) and if you would like a week or two, there are no sites that can be booked! This is thru reservations.gov. Used to be reserveamerica, then they took over their own bookings and it's still happening ! Hate it and they need to do something about it. Sites are sitting empty M-F as people have found somewhere else for their week or two which includes weekends that they wanted.

The problem I encountered a few years ago with COE campgrounds here in North Texas was with the hosts themselves. What they were doing is reserving spots for a bunch of other snowbirders/retirees weeks or months in advance. They had (and may still have) an underground organization of hosts that worked together on this scheme for most of the COE campgrounds here so that their snowbirding/retire friends had reservations at all the parks and could move from one to another when they'd used up their stay limit at each park. It make it almost impossible for anyone not in this consortium to make a reservation. I just stopped staying at COE campgrounds.

Some, maybe all, of the National Parks have Reseravable and non-Reseravable spots. I know Big Bend does. The Reseravable spots are available on Recreation.gov (or ReserveAmerica, forget which), and the non-Reseravable are for people who just show up. It sort of works and I've never had a problem finding a spot for the past 15 years when I just show up. The only downside is that the Reseravable spots MUST be reserved on-line and even the Ranger or Host can't provide you with one if it's open and you just show up.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe parks should reserve a certain number of sites to first come first served. Or only alow people to stay so many days at each park per year giving other people access to the park.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Florida state parks and Recreation.Gov have the same policies for everyone. It's a serious PITA but if you don't book very early you can forget it.
One county park near St Petersburg FL gives preference to their residents and it is one of the most beautiful GCs in the country. They don't like dogs either, oh the shame of it. (we travel with one)
Puma 30RKSS

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
They are catering to their best, most profitable customers.
Nothing wrong with that.
This is free enterprise after all.

So.....if it ends up HURTING their total income, they will stop doing it. But I suspect that likely won't happen.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport:
Good point! We end up doing the same thing, but still hate making reservations at parks that we are new to and determining which site is best from a 2x3" pic.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or if you canโ€™t beat em join em.

Rent a month and go back and forth on weekends.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clearly they are looking for long term tenants which give them a stable income stream. Tells me they want to be a mobile home park and less a campground. Ask them how about reserving some spaces for campers away from the long term.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not the answer for you here, but we've found it more and more difficult to make 2 week reservations almost anywhere east of the Mississippi River. So, if the game rules shift, then we shift our camping strategy. We simply quit trying to book a spot for the 2 weeks, and sometimes, even a week. We split up campgrounds. We attempt to book the week-ends first, as they are usually harder to get. So, if we have 3 weekends, over a 2 week period, we'll book each weekend somewhere different, but still within a reasonable driving distance from each other so we can stay in the same geographical area.

Then, we see how many days before and after the week-end we can attach more days. And if we can't, then we look for different campgrounds for the middle of the week.

A couple years ago we did this approach and ended up making reservations at 5 different State Parks over a 2 week (3 week-end) trip. And actually, about 3 days at each location was just about right! One day to break camp and travel and set up camp in the new location, 1 good day to explore the area, maybe 2 days. Next day do it again.

Yes, it means setting up and then breaking camp multiple times, but in a way, there is a lot of fun in that process too!

The lesson I've learned, when the rules change, change the strategy. It works! Be flexible, and try new approaches to your camping methods. It does keep things interesting!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel your pain. But they probably got tired of seeing a bunch of empty spots on weekends and people complaining they wants weeks and months and not just a weekend.

We have Reserveamerica in Florida which I hate. And one reason is they let weekends book up 11 months in advance. So we can try for a week or two and there are no weekends only weekdays open.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.