Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The future cost of RV stay
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > The future cost of RV stay

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
dajolo6156

Clarksville, TN

New Member

Joined: 11/17/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/17/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really don't understand the upgrades that would be needed anywhere to the electrical supply at an RV park. Most all electrical vehicles can be charged using 120v, it just takes a longer time. but if you're RVing than you would have to stay at least a few nights plugged in.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 11/17/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dajolo6156 wrote:

I really don't understand the upgrades that would be needed anywhere to the electrical supply at an RV park. Most all electrical vehicles can be charged using 120v, it just takes a longer time. but if you're RVing than you would have to stay at least a few nights plugged in.


That is a true statement. But the batteries used in EV tow vehicles will be three times the size of standard car batteries. A compromise would be a little power sharing between the RV and the EV. This is totally doable with a little common sense. Charging the EV at the 16 amp setting while leaving the 24 amps for the EV will still put half a charge on a 200 KW battery in a day. Many people stay days or weeks at a campground so not an issue. If they are only there over night they will have to use commercial DCFC chargers. The problems perceived are not really problems in the real world.

In the long term though a campground would probably benefit from having either an extra 50 amp pedestal or a 40 amp EVSE at at least some sites. Those who adapt will survive. Those who don't will disappear. Hotels are going thru this right now. EV'ers don't stay at hotels without charging facilities,

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

Senior Member

Joined: 12/20/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/17/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Must be winter time......
#bored


You can say that again. I just came in from raking leaves, and that may turn out to be the high point of the day.

westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 11/17/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dajolo6156 wrote:

I really don't understand the upgrades that would be needed anywhere to the electrical supply at an RV park. Most all electrical vehicles can be charged using 120v, it just takes a longer time. but if you're RVing than you would have to stay at least a few nights plugged in.
It isn't outlets available, it is loads. Go add up the breakers in you home's breaker box. The total is way more than the rating of the panel. Heck, just running two everyday space heaters off of a duplex outlet will trip the breaker serving that outlet. EV chargers draw a substantial amount of power for long periods of time. This thread isn't about one EV in a 100 site park, it is about what will happen if a large percentage of RVs have an electrical vehicle as either their tow vehicle or their dingy. And on top of that, maybe some electric powered class A rigs as well. It really doesn't matter if you overnight or stay several weeks since you are likely to be using the vehicles regardless. No RV park has an electrical system engineered to add those loads to the existing demands of the RVs. It will require a massive upgrade as I outlined previously.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/17/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

western is correct. Although the massive upgrade can probably be spread over 20+ years and may not start for 10. Just as we have 30amp and 50amp sites now there will be a few added with a second 50 amp EV charging connection. Virtually zero are needed today.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 11/17/19 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

western is correct. Although the massive upgrade can probably be spread over 20+ years and may not start for 10. Just as we have 30amp and 50amp sites now there will be a few added with a second 50 amp EV charging connection. Virtually zero are needed today.
Not that easy to spread an upgrade over multiple years. Beyond the major problem of having construction going on continually, where do you start and stop? Do the best sites get the charging upgrade and need to be kept empty in case an EV rig comes around. Or do you relegate the EVs to less desirable locations so the best sites are available for the more common internal combustion rigs? Will you price the EV sites much higher due to the higher electrical costs and construction costs or will you pass the costs on to everyone including those who don't use either the sites or the extra electricity keeping the price increases more modest? What about groups traveling together when one has an EV rig? Do you break up the group or use all the EV sites for one EV? Plus construction of a new area will often require crossing a completed area increasing costs. Lots of issues to consider.

bgum

South Louisiana

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/17/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are park owners doing now where there is heavy use of golf carts by guests? Surely they are charging the carts.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/17/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

time2roll wrote:

western is correct. Although the massive upgrade can probably be spread over 20+ years and may not start for 10. Just as we have 30amp and 50amp sites now there will be a few added with a second 50 amp EV charging connection. Virtually zero are needed today.
Not that easy to spread an upgrade over multiple years. Beyond the major problem of having construction going on continually, where do you start and stop? Do the best sites get the charging upgrade and need to be kept empty in case an EV rig comes around. Or do you relegate the EVs to less desirable locations so the best sites are available for the more common internal combustion rigs? Will you price the EV sites much higher due to the higher electrical costs and construction costs or will you pass the costs on to everyone including those who don't use either the sites or the extra electricity keeping the price increases more modest? What about groups traveling together when one has an EV rig? Do you break up the group or use all the EV sites for one EV? Plus construction of a new area will often require crossing a completed area increasing costs. Lots of issues to consider.


I can remember when having a 15 amp outlet in a campsite was a luxury. Yet, somehow most campgrounds updated to 30 then 50amp service. Though not necessarily all of their sites. And, there are still a lot of National Parks with no electricity. It is difficult to predict the future but if the need for more electricity arises it is your choice whether to service the need or watch your business go elsewhere. It is not going to be all of a sudden, you will have a couple of years but it will always be your choice. Complaining about here is not going to do you any good regardless. But what to do and how much to charge for it will always be your choice.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/17/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

time2roll wrote:

western is correct. Although the massive upgrade can probably be spread over 20+ years and may not start for 10. Just as we have 30amp and 50amp sites now there will be a few added with a second 50 amp EV charging connection. Virtually zero are needed today.
Not that easy to spread an upgrade over multiple years. Beyond the major problem of having construction going on continually, where do you start and stop? Do the best sites get the charging upgrade and need to be kept empty in case an EV rig comes around. Or do you relegate the EVs to less desirable locations so the best sites are available for the more common internal combustion rigs? Will you price the EV sites much higher due to the higher electrical costs and construction costs or will you pass the costs on to everyone including those who don't use either the sites or the extra electricity keeping the price increases more modest? What about groups traveling together when one has an EV rig? Do you break up the group or use all the EV sites for one EV? Plus construction of a new area will often require crossing a completed area increasing costs. Lots of issues to consider.
As said how did we every get to 50 amps from 15 or 30? Same transition will take place. Those that came before us must have been a lot smarter because they made it work.

Like what do you do now when all the 30s are full and a 30 RV does not want to pay extra for 50? Or a 50 shows up and all you have are 30a sites? The solution already exists.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/17/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW I am still waiting for one of my tenants to ask about getting an EV. I proactively added charging to one house as I was upgrading a bunch of electric already. The condo complex added 10 user pay stations. The rest should not be an issue to do as needed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > The future cost of RV stay
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS