cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar panel purpose on used motorhome

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a used motorhome last winter and besides the fun of taking trips it has also been enjoyable to learn about the various systems and make numerous (of course) minor repairs and improvements. One thing I haven't spent any time learning about is the solar panel that was installed by a previous owner that I found installed on top of one of the AC units. I presume that the purpose of this panel is to keep the batteries topped off while in storage. Does that seem likely to you experts or could there be some other use for this? I suppose I could and should trace the wiring to wherever it leads but I haven't gotten around to that yet. Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“If I remember right, the output is around 5 amps”

Five amps would be an 80 to 90 watt panel and far larger than an AC unit. Did you mean 5 watts?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a very small solar panel and its only purpose was to keep the Solar Refrig Vent fan operational during daylight.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, everyone. Your comments pretty much confirm my assumption but I think I'll try the voltage tests that a couple of you described. Happy camping, all!

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stated, it most likely came that way from the factory as a trickle charge maintainer. (my '99 Class A has the same thing)
Normally the panel is about 12" square. When clean and new, a reasonable output expectation would be about 8 to 12 watts or at 12 volts nominal, less than one amp which is essentially, . . . . . useless for just about anything other than running a small transistor radio or charging your cell phone. Sorry but don't get your hopes up, you'll need a lot more panel area than that for any type of meaningful solar power generation.

Chum lee

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes that tiny panel will attempt to keep the house battery charged. If you plan to rely on it I recommend you monitor the battery voltage at least weekly to determine if the batteries are staying charged.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the same size solar panel you are describing. Mine came from the factory with it.
It’s sole purpose is to keep the chassis battery topped off.

If I remember right, the output is around 5 amps. So not really enough to charge anything but enough to overcome parasitic loss while the RV sits.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
In sunlight, with engine off, shore power off (so no converter charging)put your voltmeter on the engine batt and the house batt. if one is 12.x and the other is 13.x, now you know.

If both are 13.x make sure your relay for engine to house batt is really open. If both are 12.X, the solar is doing nothing.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A panel that small could, or could try, to keep either the house or chassis batteries charged. Identify what batteries the panel are hooked to, the panel’s max output and if it’s enough. You need a “plan” for whichever batteries are not hooked to this panel. My 30 watt panel is more than enough to keep the house batteries maintained during storage and while covered.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
A solar panel small enough to fit on top of the A/C is probably a trickle charger for the engine (chassis) battery. Something that small may not have a controller and be directly attached to the battery. That is the first place to look.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Solar panels produce electricity. Charging batteries is one use for it. Directly powering something during daylight hours might be another.

What kind of motorhome is it?
Year/make/model in your signature always helps others make better guesses.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)