cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what kind of batteries do i have?

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
i am attaching a parkit360 trailer dolly to my TT and the battery hookup differs depending on whether I have 6 or 12 volt batteries. i have two of them. how do I tell?
12 REPLIES 12

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep trailer plugged in at all times when not traveling. I've checked water every six months for two years and have never needed to add water. We do live in a mild climate with rare freezing and rare temps over 90.

I remember now when I ordered the RV, on the advice of this board, I asked to be upgraded to 2 6v batteries.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
No real implications, at least probably nothing you'll notice. They should give you a longer service life. But like all things in life that is entirely dependent on how well you maintain them. If you abuse them by letting them sit discharged, only partially charged, or let them run out of water, they won't be any better than 12 volt batteries.

If not abused they will last longer in an off shore power scenario. They will also survive more discharge/recharge cycles before needing replacement than a 12 volt battery.

As far as your trailer dolly, there is probably no real noticeable difference between 6 volt or 12 colt batteries.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
Huh. Turns out i have 6v batteries. What are the implications of that vs 12v?

You're better equipped for dry camping or boondocking.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huh. Turns out i have 6v batteries. What are the implications of that vs 12v?

By the way, dolly worked great! My RV is tucked neatly into its carport, hooked up to a large propane tank and home 30 amp RV service. I also dumped in my new sewer cleanout and cleaned the black tank using sani clean.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes that is correct for 12 volt batteries.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
rvshrinker wrote:
i am attaching a parkit360 trailer dolly to my TT and the battery hookup differs depending on whether I have 6 or 12 volt batteries. i have two of them. how do I tell?
The batteries will be wired for 12v either way. Connect same as the main RV power cables are connected and you are good to go.
Picture just above shows perfectly what I am saying.

I'll get in there and look tomorrow but assuming two x 12v then pos to pos on one battery then neg to neg on other battery. Remove in reverse order?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good advice. If you are not sure if it's 6 or 12 based on the above.

Harbor Freight has some very nice 5.00 dollar volt meters. Learn how to use 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvshrinker wrote:
The batteries will be wired for 12v either way. Connect same as the main RV power cables are connected and you are good to go.
Picture just above shows perfectly what I am saying.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two 6V batteries (Series) VS Two 12V batteries (Parallel)

6V wired in series....
POS on one connected to NEG of other battery

You would connect your Power Dolly cable to POS of one and NEG of other

12V wired in parallel.....
POS connected together and NEG connected together

You would connect your Power Dolly cable to a POS and NEG on just one of the batteries (Same Battery)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Short answer is 12 volts. Count the caps (in reality you want to count the cells under the caps). Each cell in the battery is 2 volts. But regardless of 6 or 12 volt batteries you're going to be hooking up to the batteries in a 12 volt configuration.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you havenโ€™t done anything to your newish RV, 99% theyre 12V. You should look at them. They say right on the battery.
Even If you do have 6V in series, you still have a 12V system.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If the batteries have vent/filler caps, a 6 volt will have 3 caps and a 12 volt will have 6 caps.