Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless migration to RVs creating problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Next
Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There seems to be a trend for the homeless to get an old RV and live on the streets. County officials admit their hands are are tied as they do not have proper laws in place to deal with the problem. Nor do they have the proper funds. Our county estimates it costs $3,000 to tow and salvage an abandoned RV. Private landowners with RVers squatting on their property are also having problems. Towing companies will not remove the rigs as they know they won't get paid.

It looks to be a growing problem without an easy financial solution. Will we start seeing salvage taxes on our RV registration renewals?

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing how much is left when a RV burns, especially on private property...mainly scrap metal.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are registration laws that apply to vehicles that are parked on the roads. They CAN be towed if the 'officials' are motivated.
Private property is a bit different. Still, there are occupancy laws and such that can come in to play with motivated (theres that word again) regulators.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It just amazes me that as a private land owner, someone can park their RV on my property, and squat there and I can't boot them off? Is that not, by definition, trespassing? Landowners in your county are actually experiencing that, and can't do anything about it?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since you're "location" is NW, and I have family there. I will never go back there any more other than to visit at best.

Simply incredible if the trespassing and squatting is actually occurring and overlooked or condoned by the local authorities.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Private landowners with RVers squatting on their property are also having problems. Towing companies will not remove the rigs as they know they won't get paid.

It looks to be a growing problem without an easy financial solution. Will we start seeing salvage taxes on our RV registration renewals?
If the RV was on my land I would pay or dismantle it myself.

No. I don't think we need a salvage fee on our RVs or any vehicles. Need simpler laws to tow and discard.

The reason this is growing is that the laws are soft, vague, and provide too many individual protections. My city allows NO overnight parking of any RV on any public street ever.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The laws must not be soft and vague in Michigan, we had a visit from the police just having our motorhome parked on the street less than 24 hours to load it.

Spacecowboy7

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would be surprised how many people want an older motorhome to live in, I was asked several times if my 89 Flair was for sale.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clark that there is a R V.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Durb wrote:

Private landowners with RVers squatting on their property are also having problems. Towing companies will not remove the rigs as they know they won't get paid.

If the RV was on my land I would pay or dismantle it myself.

No. I don't think we need a salvage fee on our RVs or any vehicles. Need simpler laws to tow and discard.

The reason this is growing is that the laws are soft, vague, and provide too many individual protections. My city allows NO overnight parking of any RV on any public street ever.
You ought to see what the storage facility has to go through to get rid of a RV or unwanted vehicle, it takes several months.

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the solution to do with the thousands of people homeless on the streets?

Yet we keep importing millions of people here without solving our own issues that are growing rapidly. This is not sustainable.

I hear a lot of complaints but no one offering suggestions to solving the problem that does not involve billions of our tax dollars! No more free stuff.

It is expensive to live here, housing is costly.

We need affordable housing on bus lines that will get people to work.

Many are on drugs and have mental issues and just do not care. It is out of control.

They are relaxing the laws and now people can do whatever they please with NO consequences and innocent people suffer for it.

Rudy Guilani cleaned up New York. Now it is a disaster again.

We need to stop throwing money at these problems that have zero results.

We build tent cities for people who are not our citizens and should not be here, but do not build them for our own. It is disgraceful to see our cities laying in waste.

We have a real crisis on our hands and should be very concerning to us all.

I can see why they are using RV's for shelters, but there needs to be somewhere set up for them to go. Then that creates a whole host of other problems, water, sewage, electric, drugs, crime and trash.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS