Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless migration to RVs creating problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now I understand the reason for the over 10 year old RV rule. Another thing is that if I get stuck with mine (it's over 10 years old) I might end up with a bigger problem than I thought.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch the uTube video Seattle is Dying for a larger perspective of the problem which includes RVs.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ten years ago you could rent an apartment in my home town for 550 a month, now that same apartment costs 950 to 1000 a month, but wages have hardly budged. My elderly neighbors husband died and and she gets 780 a month from SS. Does anyone know where she can rent an apartment? Personally I think the problem might not be poor people who really need a place to live but our society who can't be bothered to take care of our poor.

Our Road Less Traveled

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SS was never intended to provide a living pension. Just a supplement to personal resources.

Going to get much worse before it improves.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

What is the solution to do with the thousands of people homeless on the streets?

Yet we keep importing millions of people here without solving our own issues that are growing rapidly. This is not sustainable.

I hear a lot of complaints but no one offering suggestions to solving the problem that does not involve billions of our tax dollars! No more free stuff.

It is expensive to live here, housing is costly.

We need affordable housing on bus lines that will get people to work.

Many are on drugs and have mental issues and just do not care. It is out of control.

They are relaxing the laws and now people can do whatever they please with NO consequences and innocent people suffer for it.

Rudy Guilani cleaned up New York. Now it is a disaster again.

We need to stop throwing money at these problems that have zero results.

We build tent cities for people who are not our citizens and should not be here, but do not build them for our own. It is disgraceful to see our cities laying in waste.

We have a real crisis on our hands and should be very concerning to us all.

I can see why they are using RV's for shelters, but there needs to be somewhere set up for them to go. Then that creates a whole host of other problems, water, sewage, electric, drugs, crime and trash.

Solution?
Send the homeless to China

https://youtu.be/Ie6zd3Rwu4c

Seriously tho why can Comunist goverment build more houses then they need yet,we cant.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to thank the moderators for allowing this topic to be discussed. So of us are not afforded the opportunity to speak up without fear of criticism.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 04:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

lakeside013104 wrote:

lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

What is the solution to do with the thousands of people homeless

We build tent cities for people who are not our citizens and should not be here, but do not build them for our own. It is disgraceful to see our cities laying in waste.

We have a real crisis on our hands and should be very concerning to us all.

Well said. I tried to send you a PM complementing you on your statement, but you know how that worked out.

Thanks for your well thought out input.

Lakeside

Thank you.

I sent you a PM. Hope you got it.

Got it and was able to send you back one.

Lakeside

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 04:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roy&Lynne wrote:

Ten years ago you could rent an apartment in my home town for 550 a month, now that same apartment costs 950 to 1000 a month, but wages have hardly budged. My elderly neighbors husband died and and she gets 780 a month from SS. Does anyone know where she can rent an apartment? Personally I think the problem might not be poor people who really need a place to live but our society who can't be bothered to take care of our poor.
Usually older people benefit the most out of skyrocketing home prices. Homes they paid a very reasonable price are worth a fortune now giving them a healthy retirement when they sell. I know several people who retired from California and sold their home for a fortune and moved to the midwest and can live very well on the profits. Not unique to that area Jackson Hole, Aspen and several other towns where money moved in and long time residents displaced.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

SS was never intended to provide a living pension. Just a supplement to personal resources.

Going to get much worse before it improves.

SS was to reduce the strain on working age by helping them support the older generation. Also it was to move older out of the work force, so younger men could have jobs.
At one time, a family would have many kids, with hope enough would live long to support them in old age. The extra young that survived to maturity moved west, but the well-being of the old was directly the responsibility of the family that stayed on the home farm.
As the economy turned to manufacturing, the extra babies that lived to maturity moved to cities, and as they got old, did not have the farm work to pass to their kids. Unions demanded that as part of compensation was the promise if you work for us so many years we will support you for the rest of your life. But unlike most of the farm kids of the past manufacturers did not keep the promise.
Now we are in a totally irrational situation where we expect everybody to save for their own retirement while at the same time not expecting the employers to pay enough for a worker to support their kids...

colliehauler wrote:

Roy&Lynne wrote:

Usually older people benefit the most out of skyrocketing home prices. Homes they paid a very reasonable price are worth a fortune now giving them a healthy retirement when they sell. I know several people who retired from California and sold their home for a fortune and moved to the midwest and can live very well on the profits. Not unique to that area Jackson Hole, Aspen and several other towns where money moved in and long time residents displaced.

Do you see a problem with that idea? Yes, a older person can sell the home they have lived in for years, get a large windfall. But then is homeless, or running up the price in another area for another family.
Unlike the immigration problem, I have no solutions for the homeless problem. If we wanted to solve the illegal immigration issue it could be done in a month with no change in laws and less than a million dollars.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prices have always increased on homes in the long run. Supply and demand. A lot of homes in small towns with lack of jobs can be bought dirt cheap. For a retired person who does not depend on employment this can be a good deal. There are several list of states and towns that are the best places to retire along with the most expensive places to retire. Illegal immigrants compound the housing issue but certain people choose not to address the issue. Until these people are voted out I don't see things changing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.