Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Homeless migration to RVs creating problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

Senior Member

Joined: 09/05/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/20/19 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]



We have many empty lots with closed strip malls. These would be a cheaper alternative to housing on bus lines.

Malls are disappearing. City would be better to invest the money into converting them to this type of affordable housing instead of them lying in waste and complete eye sores.

1 - Convert one of the empty stores on the strip mall into a laundry mat.

2 - Convert one of the empty stores into a Licensed Daycare Center.

3 - Convert one of the empty stores into an afterschool program, could be run by the Church.

Add a metal carport and storage shed.

Low payment, roof over your head, and will help people get on their feet.

Not free! Low monthly payment.

We could also use these for 55+ Seniors who want to downsize and create communities for them too.

RVs leak, FEMA trailers are junk.

Government housing is not cheap to build and not appreciated if no skin in the game. We do not need to spend billions of government waste.

These could be built off site and set on slabs.

One bedroom and Loft for the kids. That's it!

Get it done! 1,000's of these Cabins would be a welcome relief to many.

* This post was edited 11/20/19 01:25pm by lots2seeinmyrv *

ExxWhy

Ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/20/19 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it more humane to the mentally ill to just leave them fend for themselves on the street or put them someplace they will have food and shelter and some medical care? Is it better for the children (victims of their parents poor skills) to be left on the street or to be taken in? Is it better for society to have people living in tents on the sidewalks and using the street as a latrine or perhaps someplace else?





JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/20/19 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:





You sure have a lot of reasons for failure, but none of them seem to include "I screwed up.". I have never been sentenced court ordered money management but I doubt that the course taught that if you can't rent for that recommended 30% you should live on the street.



My "screw up" that put me in the class was I trusted a banker when he told me the $12,000 cashes check was good. The class, at my expense, and paying the cost and penalty got the IRS to release the license for my trucks in 3 months instead of the year the lawyer said it was likely to take. (The only checks I have bounced in my life where behind that deal


Quote:

Even using your ridiculous assumption that a minimum wage worker can only work 40 hours, not a minute more, in a month


A very small percentage of min wage workers will get over 38 hrs a week. Most would be closer to 20 than 40.
Quote:

a new BMW or even a car of any kind.


But in this area public transportation is very limited. If you don't put room in the budget for a car you won't keep the job.

TomG2

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 11/20/19 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upon graduation from high school in the early 60's that there were hundreds of jobs paying $10-$12/hour within thirty miles of my rural home in Central Illinois. The same hold true today. We could buy cars and homes back then on those wages. Won't happen today. People will take the easy (lazy?) way out when their labor won't bring them a decent living. Living at Walmart alongside the rich folks has a certain appeal to many of them.

westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 11/20/19 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:





You sure have a lot of reasons for failure, but none of them seem to include "I screwed up.". I have never been sentenced court ordered money management but I doubt that the course taught that if you can't rent for that recommended 30% you should live on the street.



My "screw up" that put me in the class was I trusted a banker when he told me the $12,000 cashes check was good. The class, at my expense, and paying the cost and penalty got the IRS to release the license for my trucks in 3 months instead of the year the lawyer said it was likely to take. (The only checks I have bounced in my life where behind that deal


Quote:

Even using your ridiculous assumption that a minimum wage worker can only work 40 hours, not a minute more, in a month


A very small percentage of min wage workers will get over 38 hrs a week. Most would be closer to 20 than 40.
Quote:

a new BMW or even a car of any kind.


But in this area public transportation is very limited. If you don't put room in the budget for a car you won't keep the job.
If you bounced a check, why would the IRS be involved? That is a civil matter between you and whomever you wrote the check to. And the IRS doesn't put liens on vehicles or businesses or even your personal accounts without a long legal process. For a bounced check to result in IRS liens the check would have had to been payment for severely past due taxes and if that was the case, the problem wasn't so much the bounced check but that your taxes were years in arrears. So either a relatively small amount of money ($12,000) completely decimated your business and life for many months to years, or there is much more to the story.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/20/19 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LA housing advocates push for tax on owners who keep units vacant

https://www.yahoo.com/news/la-housing-advocates-push-tax-060651700.html


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

my440

Monashees British Columbia

Full Member

Joined: 09/22/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/20/19 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a youngster I on occasion found myself nearing homelessness.
The thing to do then was to hustle up a resolve real quick.
A good thing there were no tent city options at the time to cave to as I may of climbed aboard!





JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/20/19 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

If you bounced a check, why would the IRS be involved? That is a civil matter between you and whomever you wrote the check to. And the IRS doesn't put liens on vehicles or businesses or even your personal accounts without a long legal process. For a bounced check to result in IRS liens the check would have had to been payment for severely past due taxes and if that was the case, the problem wasn't so much the bounced check but that your taxes were years in arrears. So either a relatively small amount of money ($12,000) completely decimated your business and life for many months to years, or there is much more to the story.


I'm not sure what it matters other than to disparage my character but I will send you a PM

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/20/19 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of topics here.

I just have a comment for the folks who have said comments along the lines of "why can't they just get out there and get a job".

If you were an employer in a lower-end job, such as fast food or retail, would you hire someone who doesn't own any nicer clothes, doesn't have a way to shower more than maybe every few weeks, and hasn't had a haircut in months? Or doesn't have all their teeth? Or has a police record for stuff like petty theft?

These are the issues that the non-drug addicted, non-mentally ill homeless people face.

I read an article recently about a tiny house village where they also provide social services.... and they actually focus on the social services first, and then worry about a job. Because really, without one, you can't do the other. Sadly, there are not a lot of programs/places like this, especially since so many Americans are "NIMBY" (Not In My Backyard) Types. They like to give lots of suggestions, as long as those things are nowhere near their home.

I would suggest everyone who makes comments like "they need to not be lazy and just get a job" go volunteer at a homeless shelter and actually talk to the residents, or go volunteer at an organization that helps these people who still live on the streets. Hopefully it would be an eye-opening experience for you.


2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/20/19 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

A lot of topics here.

I just have a comment for the folks who have said comments along the lines of "why can't they just get out there and get a job".

If you were an employer in a lower-end job, such as fast food or retail, would you hire someone who doesn't own any nicer clothes, doesn't have a way to shower more than maybe every few weeks, and hasn't had a haircut in months? Or doesn't have all their teeth? Or has a police record for stuff like petty theft?

These are the issues that the non-drug addicted, non-mentally ill homeless people face.

I read an article recently about a tiny house village where they also provide social services.... and they actually focus on the social services first, and then worry about a job. Because really, without one, you can't do the other. Sadly, there are not a lot of programs/places like this, especially since so many Americans are "NIMBY" (Not In My Backyard) Types. They like to give lots of suggestions, as long as those things are nowhere near their home.

I would suggest everyone who makes comments like "they need to not be lazy and just get a job" go volunteer at a homeless shelter and actually talk to the residents, or go volunteer at an organization that helps these people who still live on the streets. Hopefully it would be an eye-opening experience for you.


Thank you

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.