Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless migration to RVs creating problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

I would like to thank the moderators for allowing this topic to be discussed. So of us are not afforded the opportunity to speak up without fear of criticism.

I thank the moderator too.

Let's keep the discussion going without giving them a reason to lock this thread. And do not attack each other!

The OPs point was the homeless living in RVs, and that affects us all in this industry. We need affordable housing so they are not living in RVs.

We all would love to continue living this lifestyle of camping, vacation, enjoying our campgrounds, and full-time travelling. But now this massive problem is having a direct impact on enjoying the whole purpose of why we buy these RVs. We want to live and camp in safe areas and enjoy the outdoors.

We are taking care of the rest of the world with Trillions of our dollars for decades and we are throwing our own homeless, veterans and seniors under the bus. This will have a direct impact on our own youth and their future. This is wrong on so many levels.

These countries need to take care of their own people with their own money and it needs to stop. We cannot throw our money at their problems anymore.

We cannot be the police and the ATM machine for the world nor take in millions of their citizens, year after year after year, while we have our own homeless and destitute suffering in our streets.

We need a break, a breather, a pause, stay out of these never ending wars, and put a pause on all immigration both legal and illegal for at least 10 years so we can clean up our own backyard.

We have the same problems they do and getting worse. We have been far too generous for far too long, now we are suffering the consequences of these failed policies.

We have the tax dollars to solve these problems, we cannot continue to give our hard earned money away and it needs to stop. We give billions of our dollars away to countries with zero results for decades.

Now our citizens are resorting to living in the streets in RVs, our Seniors and Veterans are not making ends meet. This should not be happening. Our cities are turning into 3rd world status.

We should also allow our Seniors to work, without tax penalty, to supplement their income if they wish. There are many jobs they can do. They have skills, they are dependable, they have a work ethic. They are valuable to our companies.

I think we need to have a building boom of Senior housing built with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, in small communities with no amenities, (not The Villages) to keep costs down so Seniors can move out of their big homes, free those homes up for families, and the Seniors can downsize and cut costs.

Someone posted above, Seniors cannot afford rent, it is very concerning we are not solving that problem. We are worried about our parents and ourselves being able to survive the costs of living in this country.

It is very expensive to live here, rent, electric, cable, internet, cell phones, insurance, cars, gas, food, medical, water, taxes. None of those costs have gone down and continue to rise.

We need to stop bringing in the rest of the world and paying THEIR bills out of our paychecks, while neglecting our own. Whoever came up with that policy should be forced to live in a cardboard box in San Francisco for a year. Totally unacceptable.

What is the solution to this homeless problem? Where do you put them? We cannot afford to build billion dollars shelters to live in for free and do drugs, and refuse to work.

Convert shipping containers, make them into studios, work for shelter, basic shelter, put them on empty lots on bus lines. Get on your feet and move on. No more living in the projects for life. We have closed up shopping centers all over this country, use those empty lots.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Prices have always increased on homes in the long run. Supply and demand. A lot of homes in small towns with lack of jobs can be bought dirt cheap. For a retired person who does not depend on employment this can be a good deal. There are several list of states and towns that are the best places to retire along with the most expensive places to retire. Illegal immigrants compound the housing issue but certain people choose not to address the issue. Until these people are voted out I don't see things changing.

Yes, a retired person can sell their house, buy one dirt cheap in a small town in say Kansas. But what is the cost, that can not be expressed in dollars, to move away from the friends, church, entertainment? Then there is the fact older people need accesses to medical care, and small town hospitals are closing. As we age, driving becomes a issue. If it is a 10 mile round trip to get groceries, even if you need to change buses a couple of times. But what if the trip is 100 miles, and there are no buses?
I agree the politicians will not solve the immigration, but if the ones in power wanted to it would take no change in laws, just a change in how/which laws are enforced. It could be done before the next election.

* This post was edited 11/18/19 06:38am by JRscooby *

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I have no solutions for the homeless problem.

I think there's a three subsets under the name of "homeless":
There's the people who simply can't afford housing, or are down on their luck, but are willing to work and be a benefit to their community. IMO, they are able to connect with the organizations that are set up to help folks in their situation; and with time and guidance, can overcome their difficulties.

There are those who have mental/emotional/substance problems who resist any help that would be available because it requires them to deal with their problems

And there's a group that simply doesn't want to conform. I have a brother-in-law among them - he's perfectly happy being homeless. Doesn't drink or do drugs. Has a couple of college degrees; and works as a bus boy. Family members have tried to help him, but he eventually reverts back to living out of his car....

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are these "Homeless" people or people who lost there homes due to fire or flood? 1st of all, they should not be on the streets. This is dangerous and gives RVers a bad name. I would presume the paid for their rig. They should be in a CG or private area set up by the Feds for disaster relief. We are full Timers and live on our own lot which is kept cleaner than I have seen in many yards. It is not because we can't afford a permanent dwelling, but prefer the life style to travel when we choose. For an RV to be on the streets or parking lot long term is wrong. It seems that many persons are purchasing RV's that don't have the courtesy of the older generation. They not courteous.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The middle class continues to shrink. That is the real problem.
I have a close friend that lives in an old Class A motorhome on his own property. He rents out his house because he can't afford the mortgage payment.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what should be done with the homeless?

my440

Monashees British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own and love my 42 year old motorhome. Had her for awhile now. People think I'm homeless I guess. You can sense it now by the way your looked at. The ones in the $100.000 rigs when you pull up in beside them can be seen peeking through the shades. Don't pull in here don't pull in here...
Different world now.

Papa Steve

Fullerton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Near us, there was a huge homeless encampment of 700 people in a 3 mile stretch. Only 11% of those people said they wanted help. 58% were drug users, and the rest were mentally ill. Most didn't want shelters because of the rules: wake up, eat, go to bed, all at specific times. And of course, no drugs.
I live in Southern California, so I know how expensive big cities can be. I don't think we should be building shelters in places where real estate costs so much.

Maybe we should build a tent city in the desert and provide free food, water, porta-potties, showers, and even drugs. Bus the people there that don't want to do anything except get high. Has to be cheaper than building new shelters, or even cleaning up encampments. BTW, Los Angeles spent $36,000,000 this year just cleaning up places only to have the homeless move back within an hour.

Comments?

Steve

2016 GMC 2500HD duramax 4x4
2018 Cougar 311RES

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

SS was never intended to provide a living pension. Just a supplement to personal resources.

Going to get much worse before it improves.

Free food and free living makes for lazy folks with idle time for doing things they should not be doing. Be good if they required regular community service in order to earn the right for those benefits.

* This post was edited 11/18/19 09:16am by covered wagon *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Papa Steve wrote:

Near us, there was a huge homeless encampment of 700 people in a 3 mile stretch. Only 11% of those people said they wanted help. 58% were drug users, and the rest were mentally ill. Most didn't want shelters because of the rules: wake up, eat, go to bed, all at specific times. And of course, no drugs.
I live in Southern California, so I know how expensive big cities can be. I don't think we should be building shelters in places where real estate costs so much.

Maybe we should build a tent city in the desert and provide free food, water, porta-potties, showers, and even drugs. Bus the people there that don't want to do anything except get high. Has to be cheaper than building new shelters, or even cleaning up encampments. BTW, Los Angeles spent $36,000,000 this year just cleaning up places only to have the homeless move back within an hour.

Comments?
I agree. Hard to help those that like things as they are.

To a certain extent the homeless don't have a problem. The rest of society has the problem as they do not like their lifestyle and proximity.

I am just sad for the kids that get dragged into the mix.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.