Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Homeless migration to RVs creating problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/18/19 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

However, the homeless crisis is less about all that, IMO. IDK what the causes are. All the mentally ill congregate in certain cities??
People getting lazier? IDK
It's sure as heck not the economy and hasn't been for a long time.

The recent phenomenon of old RVs becoming urban homeless shelters is, every year there are more/newer RVs that still are "useable" but not road worthy. (Back in the whatever 70s-90s, there weren't the number of RVs that were old, because it was a newer industry.)
Makes sense, I'd live in a leaky RV with a bad engine before living under a bridge!


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

bid_time

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 08/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/18/19 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This whole thread is built on a unproven and likely false narrative - homeless people are buying RV's and living on the streets. The incidence is probably less then 1%. In other words "Fake News"





Orcadrvr

agoura hills, cal.

Full Member

Joined: 01/19/2004

View Profile



Posted: 11/19/19 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are hundreds of old, decrepit RV's on the street in Los Angeles.
I see them virtually every day.
It is not "fake news" around here.
Maybe in your location it is different.

westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 11/19/19 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

However, the homeless crisis is less about all that, IMO. IDK what the causes are. All the mentally ill congregate in certain cities??
People getting lazier? IDK
It's sure as heck not the economy and hasn't been for a long time.

The recent phenomenon of old RVs becoming urban homeless shelters is, every year there are more/newer RVs that still are "useable" but not road worthy. (Back in the whatever 70s-90s, there weren't the number of RVs that were old, because it was a newer industry.)
Makes sense, I'd live in a leaky RV with a bad engine before living under a bridge!
I think you may have hit the nail directly on the head. It is probably made even worse by the fact that disposing of a used RV usually involves a cost. You can take a car or truck to a wrecking yard and get a few bucks. An RV, not way. They don't want it. Take it to a landfill operation and they are going to have both requirements and conditions (no paper inside, No refrigerant in the refrigerator or AC units, only take them on the third Wednesday of certain months, etc) and will charge a fee, which in my experience is in the hundreds of dollars. Better to give it away and it eventually makes it way to the homeless communities usually by someone who thinks they are doing a good thing.
The homeless problem is one without a solution. Like others have said, most are either mentally ill, highly addicted to drugs and alcohol or just plain willing to live that life. Our society is not willing to involuntarily commit the ill and addicted. We can't suddenly make someone want to work and pay rent. We increasingly decide as a society to not rigorously enforce vagrancy laws and the like and when we do, it just moves the problem, it doesn't provide a solution. Even giving people housing doesn't work, our history with public housing proves that.
For most communities that have severe homeless problems the actually driving force is climate. It's more pleasant to be homeless in San Francisco than it is in Chicago. And once again society has decided that changing climate is also bad public policy, so homelessness in cities such as LA, San Francisco, Portland etc. will continue without an answer.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/19/19 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

However, the homeless crisis is less about all that, IMO. IDK what the causes are. All the mentally ill congregate in certain cities??
People getting lazier? IDK
It's sure as heck not the economy and hasn't been for a long time.

The recent phenomenon of old RVs becoming urban homeless shelters is, every year there are more/newer RVs that still are "useable" but not road worthy. (Back in the whatever 70s-90s, there weren't the number of RVs that were old, because it was a newer industry.)
Makes sense, I'd live in a leaky RV with a bad engine before living under a bridge!
I think you may have hit the nail directly on the head. It is probably made even worse by the fact that disposing of a used RV usually involves a cost. You can take a car or truck to a wrecking yard and get a few bucks. An RV, not way. They don't want it. Take it to a landfill operation and they are going to have both requirements and conditions (no paper inside, No refrigerant in the refrigerator or AC units, only take them on the third Wednesday of certain months, etc) and will charge a fee, which in my experience is in the hundreds of dollars. Better to give it away and it eventually makes it way to the homeless communities usually by someone who thinks they are doing a good thing.
The homeless problem is one without a solution. Like others have said, most are either mentally ill, highly addicted to drugs and alcohol or just plain willing to live that life. Our society is not willing to involuntarily commit the ill and addicted. We can't suddenly make someone want to work and pay rent. We increasingly decide as a society to not rigorously enforce vagrancy laws and the like and when we do, it just moves the problem, it doesn't provide a solution. Even giving people housing doesn't work, our history with public housing proves that.
For most communities that have severe homeless problems the actually driving force is climate. It's more pleasant to be homeless in San Francisco than it is in Chicago. And once again society has decided that changing climate is also bad public policy, so homelessness in cities such as LA, San Francisco, Portland etc. will continue without an answer.


I think you are overlooking the large percentage the homeless that are employed, but with low pay, student loans, high cost child care for unpredictable hours, rent is out of their budget.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/19/19 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'homeless' is a group of problems. Need a separate solution for each.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/19/19 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The majority of homeless people either suffer from substance abuse, around 70% or mental illness. Some people just have economic problems. For the last group, being homeless is temporary. Not so for the first two groups.

I know people that live in old motor homes and therefore have empathy for them. Do not be so quick to judge people.

bid_time

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 08/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/19/19 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orcadrvr wrote:

There are hundreds of old, decrepit RV's on the street in Los Angeles.
I see them virtually every day.
It is not "fake news" around here.
Maybe in your location it is different.
Thanks for validating my point with your personal observation. There are an estimated 83,000 homeless people in LA. "Hundreds" is less than 1%.
By the way, the homeless must really love LA, you got 15%± of the US total all in your one little city.

CA Traveler

The Western States

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/19/19 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardless of the % of RVs they are large, parked on the street and hence are a different type of community impact. And most news reports include pictures of RVs which sets a negative perception in the public's view of RVs.


2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob


colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 11/19/19 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Regardless of the % of RVs they are large, parked on the street and hence are a different type of community impact. And most news reports include pictures of RVs which sets a negative perception in the public's view of RVs.
Very poignant, then people wonder why cities pass laws that affect the average RV traveler such as parking bans, Walmart bans.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.