Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Road Trip! BC to California
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Road Trip! BC to California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

So how about we keep our feedback more supportive and address the stated questions? Thanks everyone.

I think we just need someone to speak up the next time the replies go sideways. Just like it happened this time.

* This post was edited 11/20/19 09:17am by DarkSkySeeker *

There is something special about camping in an RV.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dedmiston, those are fair criticisms -- point taken!

On the other hand, I was sort of trying to share hard-won wisdom -- I ruined a few family trips by driving too much instead of allocating time to play. Especially with kids.

I love, love, love RV travel -- but there are times where discretion is the better part of valor, if you know what I mean.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the others on the time and distance problem. And keeping the kids cooped up for the 24 hour drive.

If you are open to postponing a few months, even though I know you want to get rolling, try Silverwood Theme Park near Sandpoint, ID. https://www.silverwoodthemepark.com/

Park opens in May so it may be cool and he water park doesn't open till June but IMO it would be worth the wait. We had or grandsons, 10 and 13 last year and had a blast! It isn't as glamours as Disneyland, but the rides are good. Very good food in the park at reasonable prices, an RV park on site, great staff. The water park was a blast and a must do, IMO. Hit the ice cream store in the park. They make a cone for the teenagers that is huge and cheap.

We had the boys in DL when they were 6 & 9 and they both said they enjoyed Sivlerwood as much.

We didn't go into the smaller kid area but it appeared to be good.

I am plotting a trip this year with the boys again, they will be 11 and 14 and thinking about tossing their sisters, 7 & 4, into the mix. Might try to toss in their mother too.

Berkyeng

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate the views that “flying would be better” but there are a couple other reasons to consider for me. We bought the motorhome specifically because we want to do some long haul trips. Definitely see the perspective that this will be a long haul. We also have 3 dogs in our family that travel with us. Just for perspective I put 6.000kms on the bus in about 9 weeks this summer after we bought it so I’m not afraid of putting miles under me.

If we ever win the lottery we will be cashing out of our house and full timing on the road in the bus!

I definitely haven’t made up my mind on this particular trip, but really debating if this trip can be considered at the Mid-March time of year with weather and snow avoidance - and what routes would be the best for that. We may choose to fly for this reason, but if we don’t get the bus out for a long haul trip this spring we will definitely be doing it this summer. Canada and the US have too many amazing places to visit and we definitely want to experience them from the road, while trying to make the best use of my few weeks of vacation. Driving is a passion of mine - I love being behind the wheel and long hauls don’t scare me. Driving the bus in LA may change that though.

BerkyEng
Sparwood BC
2009 Berkshire 390BH

Berkyeng

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the other destinations topic I’m definitely up for ideas in within a closer distance if folks have ideas. Silver wood is a 5hr drive for us - that’s easily a weekend trip and we typically do that a couple times a year so still looking for something a bit farther abroad and trying to get an early start on Spring for the boys (6 and 10). They are accomplished travellers by road.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

if you know what I mean.

Absolutely yes. But many of us have done the Western border-to-border trip. It's long, but not intrepid. There's plenty to see along the way. The journey really does supersede all else.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Berkyeng, here is an alternative thought -- skiing in the Banff area! About five hours away from home, several world class resorts. Full hookups. The climate in March is typically fairly mild -- daytime highs in the 30s, nights in the mid-teens. If you have a heated underbelly, you are good to go!

I would suggest some of the US ski resorts in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon, but the Banff area is even better than those destinations.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Road Trip! BC to California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.