Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Chevy's I4 2.7 turbo engine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy's I4 2.7 turbo engine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from a V-6 I think the 2.7T will out performm the 4.3 in everyway. If the 4.3 was sufficient for him, he wont be let down by the 2.7T. As far as reliability, that remains to be seen but, I would not anticipate any real issues with the new motor. GM typically doesnt miss on building new engines.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rubber Ducky1 wrote:

My son is looking at getting a 2019 Silverado 1500 truck. A lot of them on the lots have Chevy's new 2.7 turbo engine. This engine replaces the 4.3 V6. He won't be towing a camper with it. He is wondering about the reliability of this new engine. Right now he has a 2017 Silverado with the V6. Any info on this new engine will be greatly appreciated and I'll pass it on to him.

Id never buy 4cyl unless it was small car.

Have 08 Silverado 4.8 V8 and get full 3 mpg better mpg then Colorado mini truck w their 4 banger,how did GM engineers managed this is beyond me.
Small engine just has to work too hard,put some load on and it wont last very long imho.

Also I believe turbo motor has to use high test fuel and Syntetic oil
More expense.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Rubber Ducky1 wrote:

My son is looking at getting a 2019 Silverado 1500 truck. A lot of them on the lots have Chevy's new 2.7 turbo engine. This engine replaces the 4.3 V6. He won't be towing a camper with it. He is wondering about the reliability of this new engine. Right now he has a 2017 Silverado with the V6. Any info on this new engine will be greatly appreciated and I'll pass it on to him.

Id never buy 4cyl unless it was small car.

Have 08 Silverado 4.8 V8 and get full 3 mpg better mpg then Colorado mini truck w their 4 banger,how did GM engineers managed this is beyond me.
Small engine just has to work too hard,put some load on and it wont last very long imho.

Also I believe turbo motor has to use high test fuel and Syntetic oil
More expense.

I had an 08 4.8 in an extracab 4X4 and I got the same mpg as the 5.3 with less power. I don't know what the Colorado 4 cyl gets for mpg but the V-6 is pretty efficient. I have a ZR2 which is not that thrifty on fuel, I get 19 on highway. My 4.8 was no better.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to say, it's a good thing vehicles don't run on opinions or they'd ALL be junk...

It's not like nobody has ever built an engine in an I4 configuration before. In fact, someone's been mass producing reliable I4 engines since at least 1908. Your first reliable mass produced V8 didn't come along until 1932.

If anything I'd expect you to be jumping for joy that they're reverting to an older, more mature, more reliable, engine design...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that getting lots of horsepower plus good MPG out of really small turbo 4 or even 3 cylinder engines is a great engineering accomplishment that is being over shadowed by the electric bandwagon. For example the Honda Civic with a 1.5 turbo 175 HP that could match up with many of my past V-8s and still get double the MPG. But I'm not convinced that smaller is better in a truck. The power might be there but is the MPG much better than the V8? Is the price much less? I wonder if GM considers this almost a test set-up to see if it flies. I've never been all that impressed by the Ford truck twin-turbo 6's. Not that much better MPG than the simple v8 but more complex.

Jayco-noslide

Rubber Ducky1

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. My son took the plunge and got himself a 2019 Silverado with the I4 2.7l turbo engine.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rubber Ducky1 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. My son took the plunge and got himself a 2019 Silverado with the I4 2.7l turbo engine.

Awesome! I'm glad he didn't let all the baseless naysaying deter him. If the truck feels good and will do the job for him, it's the right choice. There's a warranty for any issues he might have, and lemon laws if they ultimately can't fix the problem.

Would you relay his impressions of the truck after he's had it for a while?

womps

Olds

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rubber Ducky1 wrote:

Interesting read on Motortrend.ca. They say there is no need for the V8 engine in the 1500 GM products because the 2.7 and 3.0 Duramax are so good.

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the risk of being considered the youngest old-fashioned guy, I would much rather have the familiar, simple, proven naturally aspirated gasoline V8 engine even if it was rated at less horsepower and torque.

I tend to keep a vehicle till the very end, rarely if ever under warranty. My whole business model depends on being able to research common problems and solutions both on the Internet, and from trusted local mechanics.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Rubber Ducky1

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Rubber Ducky1 wrote:

Awesome! I'm glad he didn't let all the baseless naysaying deter him. If the truck feels good and will do the job for him, it's the right choice. There's a warranty for any issues he might have, and lemon laws if they ultimately can't fix the problem.

Would you relay his impressions of the truck after he's had it for a while?

After my son has put some miles on his new truck, I'll post his thoughts of it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy's I4 2.7 turbo engine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.