cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will solid state batteries change the world?

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, this has real potential. Time will tell.

You go John B. Goodenough! A true pioneer. A google/wiki search is in order. This guy is the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0nA8CfxBqA

Chum lee
16 REPLIES 16

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

- 300mile range assumes you drive it like it's got a 4 banger and you are afraid to break it. Use that 459hp and you will be lucky to get 100mile range..

Acceleration will definitely effect battery life... but speed is what really makes a difference. The electron usage is roughly 4th power quadratic equation of mph.

300 miles at what speed? Something I should know the answer to, but are Tesla and Ford using the same measurement standard like EPA MPG?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Yes, and the change will be power plants being built all over the place.
This kind of power plants.
wa8yxm wrote:
No CBs song was Johnny B Good
It was Johnny B Goode
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Any battery with significantly reduced size, price or weight will change the world.

Yes, and the change will be power plants being built all over the place.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest problem is "refueling". You can fill up a gas powered car in a few minutes. It will probably take a few hours to top up a battery powered car.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BB_TX wrote:
Ford just introduced their new all electric Mustang with up to 459 HP, depending on model. And a range up to 300 miles on current battery technology. Obviously these manufacturers feel a battery breakthrough is imminent.

Yeah but you get 459hp or 300miles.
- Of course is it really 459hp... or HP equivilent (which really isn't a thing). Cars typically have way more peak HP than they need because low rpm available HP is much lower. Most cars never actually put out the rated peak HP in real life. With electric motors, you get more HP at low rpm, so less need for peak HP to get the same performance.
- 300mile range assumes you drive it like it's got a 4 banger and you are afraid to break it. Use that 459hp and you will be lucky to get 100mile range.

Really you are seeing lots about battery technology, not because a breakthrough is imminent but because it's the key stumbling block to making EVs a viable replacement for ICE.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Gasoline stores a lot of energy in a small space and with not too much weight. But it's got some downsides, too.
That is because you are not required to carry an O2 tank or capture the waste products when burning petrol.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any battery with significantly reduced size, price or weight will change the world.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I did some googling and came to two conclusions:

1. This guy Goodenough is for real, and he has published some technical papers showing that this new battery is a game-changer.

2. I don't understand the physics well enough to comprehend exactly what is so different and great about this battery.

But wouldn't it be wonderful if the "energy density" of batteries were to get close to that of petrochemicals? Gasoline stores a lot of energy in a small space and with not too much weight. But it's got some downsides, too.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Ford just introduced their new all electric Mustang with up to 459 HP, depending on model. And a range up to 300 miles on current battery technology. Obviously these manufacturers feel a battery breakthrough is imminent.

You are putting WAY TOO MUCH into this EV announcement.

What it means is that Ford believes there is sufficient demand (people with $$$)and the CURRENT technology is adequate to mass produce an EV.

No big company "bets their business" on "an invention will happen soon" !

BTW, within the past 2 years Ford launched a new full size SUV (Expedition), a new truck (Ranger) and a new mid-sized SUV (Explorer). They will launch a new rugged SUV next year (Bronco). Only the Explorer is available as a Hybrid.

Ford still is heavily "hedging their bets" on EV with a lot of old fashioned gasoline vehicles.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
cold fusion is the answer

Or for real energy conversion, car running on water

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
IMO, this has real potential. Time will tell.

You go John B. Goodenough! A true pioneer. A google/wiki search is in order. This guy is the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0nA8CfxBqA

Chum lee

For the sake of those poor folks on mobile devices, please make it clickable.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

I gave up on the video. I think I know what he is blabbering about. but non the less he's blabbering.

Like many YouTube videos, they are slow to get started, full of blather, and low valuable content. Skip through the intro to 4:40 for the gold.

Google "John B. Goodenough" Dr. Goodenough is a Nobel Prize Winner and the inventor of the Lithium-Ion battery. Enough said. He (and his team) may just change the the world, . . . . . again, with solid state battery technology. All the major battery manufacturers/users (Tesla, Samsung, etc.) are in fast track mode with this new technology which some say may be ready by the year 2025. Doubling the Li-Ion capacity, doubling the life, halving the weight, halving the space, halving the price. Anyone interested? I think so, . . . . if it works.

Chum lee

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES! If solid state works as promised it is a complete game changer.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?