Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New owner to a early 80's slide in
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New owner to a early 80's slide in

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
TheMadHunter

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always wanted one but wasn't really interested in spending big bucks on one. Recently ran across one for $600 that was in good shape except the ceiling from a previous vent leak. I currently have ceiling ripped out and starting to insulate and recover tomorrow. As I'm looking up I'm thinking maybe now is the time to wire up any new lights, radio etc. Then I started thinking about other Mods ect. Anyone have any favorites they would share

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar...at least 8 agw, 6 is better.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Won't get many replies on an 80's camper around here,there all rich dudes..(Laughing).I have had several $500-1K truck campers..They work and sometimes better than the new ones..

If your running wires on the ceiling run some to the top vents for something like a Fantastic fan/stereo speakers to your choice/extra light where it is needed..Lots of idea's but they depend on each person and there wants and needs...

Enjoy that camper..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to redo the roof on an older shadow cruiser, not much to the roofs other than Styrofoam and 1/8" plywood and a 1/8" ceiling board. I actually deleted some wiring and installed battery powered lights, less holes.

Here is a link to my install: https://imgur.com/a/RriBM

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maybe some 10 gauge (30a) to a connector on roof for future solar panels?

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

TheMadHunter

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies! I didnt consider solar but I can see where that's very important if out and away from the big parks. I just sold our 25' sailboat and I relied heavily on solar after a few days, otherwise I had to fire up the noisy generator to get the batteries back up. I'm also thinking wiring for fans and a potential top side a/c unit if my top can even carry the weight ??

Also thinking of getting one of those propane hot water on demand Units and sealing up the bathroom to use as a shower as well

TheMadHunter

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

I had to redo the roof on an older shadow cruiser, not much to the roofs other than Styrofoam and 1/8" plywood and a 1/8" ceiling board. I actually deleted some wiring and installed battery powered lights, less holes.

Here is a link to my install: https://imgur.com/a/RriBM

Thankfully I didn't need to rip off the roof just the ceiling and it's shocking how little there is holding these things together. Aluminum roof, a little fiber insulation, 2x2"s every 16" if I remember right and paneling.

Do they sale rebuild kits for the manual jacks? One works fine but must have a broken tooth, has a skip in it

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New owner to a early 80's slide in
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.