cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New owner to a early 80's slide in

TheMadHunter
Explorer
Explorer
Always wanted one but wasn't really interested in spending big bucks on one. Recently ran across one for $600 that was in good shape except the ceiling from a previous vent leak. I currently have ceiling ripped out and starting to insulate and recover tomorrow. As I'm looking up I'm thinking maybe now is the time to wire up any new lights, radio etc. Then I started thinking about other Mods ect. Anyone have any favorites they would share
6 REPLIES 6

TheMadHunter
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
I had to redo the roof on an older shadow cruiser, not much to the roofs other than Styrofoam and 1/8" plywood and a 1/8" ceiling board. I actually deleted some wiring and installed battery powered lights, less holes.

Here is a link to my install: https://imgur.com/a/RriBM

Thankfully I didn't need to rip off the roof just the ceiling and it's shocking how little there is holding these things together. Aluminum roof, a little fiber insulation, 2x2"s every 16" if I remember right and paneling.

Do they sale rebuild kits for the manual jacks? One works fine but must have a broken tooth, has a skip in it

TheMadHunter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I didnt consider solar but I can see where that's very important if out and away from the big parks. I just sold our 25' sailboat and I relied heavily on solar after a few days, otherwise I had to fire up the noisy generator to get the batteries back up. I'm also thinking wiring for fans and a potential top side a/c unit if my top can even carry the weight ??

Also thinking of getting one of those propane hot water on demand Units and sealing up the bathroom to use as a shower as well

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
maybe some 10 gauge (30a) to a connector on roof for future solar panels?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I had to redo the roof on an older shadow cruiser, not much to the roofs other than Styrofoam and 1/8" plywood and a 1/8" ceiling board. I actually deleted some wiring and installed battery powered lights, less holes.

Here is a link to my install: https://imgur.com/a/RriBM
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Won't get many replies on an 80's camper around here,there all rich dudes..(Laughing).I have had several $500-1K truck campers..They work and sometimes better than the new ones..

If your running wires on the ceiling run some to the top vents for something like a Fantastic fan/stereo speakers to your choice/extra light where it is needed..Lots of idea's but they depend on each person and there wants and needs...

Enjoy that camper..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Solar...at least 8 agw, 6 is better.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad