Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Using the jack without the battery
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Using the jack without the battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jumper cables from the truck battery to the battery terminals on the trailer. Like the above post states, don't let them touch anything else metal. And I would unhook the A/C power before doing it.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

With the battery not there, collect all the wire terminals that go on its positive post and join them with vise grips or a nut and bolt.

Now the converter will have a path to the jacks. This assumes the jacks are on a different wire that goes to the positive post. Assumes the jacks and the converter each has a negative path to the frame.

I will try that in spring. The trailer is good where it is and I am not running power to it this winter.

My plastic battery box is screwed down, so as long as the +ve does not touch those screws or the -ve wires, I am good.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

It depends on the details of how its wired. If it connects directly to the battery (perhaps sharing the connection for the breakaway brake system), then it makes perfect sense. I suspect it is normal for your trailer.

Actually, that seems like a good setup to me, at least in general concept, as it helps to prevent someone from pulling the trailer without a battery for the breakaway brakes.

The breakaway does not work like that. It requires battery power to activate the brakes. And the jacks have a manual over ride. So the lack of battery is probably not a good theft deterrent.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Mine is wired directly to the battery. But I believe you can crank it by hand. No fun I suspect.

Same here. Won't work without the battery

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

DrewE wrote:

It depends on the details of how its wired. If it connects directly to the battery (perhaps sharing the connection for the breakaway brake system), then it makes perfect sense. I suspect it is normal for your trailer.

Actually, that seems like a good setup to me, at least in general concept, as it helps to prevent someone from pulling the trailer without a battery for the breakaway brakes.

The breakaway does not work like that. It requires battery power to activate the brakes. And the jacks have a manual over ride. So the lack of battery is probably not a good theft deterrent.

I wasn't meaning as a theft deterrent, but as a bad choice deterrent, though that probably wasn't the clearest from what I wrote. That is, in case someone wishes to move their trailer from here to there but doesn't care to be bothered to install the battery (or replace a dead one), and so pulls it without a working breakaway brake system. Having the electric jack operate in the same way makes that less of a desirable option and so might increase safety.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Using the jack without the battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.