cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Large dog

Frank55
Explorer
Explorer
Please list any positive or negative issues traveling with large dogs. My wife wants a German Sheperd and I do not see anything but problems. From scratching the floor to tbe issue of what to do with one while we are away for the day. I do not think it is right to leave a large dog locked inside a trailer all day.
54 REPLIES 54

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Frank55 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Our goal is to work at least one season in Yellowstone and leaving a large dog inside a trailer seems inhumane to me. Neither of us perfer to have a dog in our house now, let alone inside a trailer with less than 300 sq.feet.

Well, you got me confused :h You ask about a large dog ,yet you don't want one in the house or RV. Just wondering where you planed to keep it. I guess better yet what were your wife's plans with that shepherd . I believe the post above, pretty much hit the nail on the head, you have answered your question .

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
when you travel with dogs your job is to make them part of the family and take them with you, no matter what size they are.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
This past summer, we have seen two separate RV's with a mastiff. Over 150# of dog. I am not sure what RV one of them was in as they were walking the dog and I didn't think to ask, but the other said he had a toy hauler and the toy box was the dog's kennel. (The one I didn't ask about the size of the RV said the mastiff was his new wife's FIRST DOG.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Today in Vegas at Bass Pro there was group rasiing money for dog shelter or something. A large Golden Retriever with them walked ukp to me and nuzzled wanting his ears scratched. he wouldn't let anyone else near him other then the person he was with. I should have conversed about his availability.He would have been a great friend. Not sure how it would have worked out in our cramped coach, until we head for home though. I would drive the hundred mile back there tomorrow if they would still be there.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Frank55 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Our goal is to work at least one season in Yellowstone and leaving a large dog inside a trailer seems inhumane to me. Neither of us perfer to have a dog in our house now, let alone inside a trailer with less than 300 sq.feet.

And that my friend is your answer, forget the dog. I'm a dog guy and travel with a 60# Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the one with the doggie bags with my folding money. :W
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem with most of these insurance bans is in the way they handle mixed breed dogs. They will require you to identify the mixed breed dog as a combination of two and only two breeds. They will not accept "shepherd mix" but they won't accept "shepherd/lab/chow/poodle/golden" either. Instead they require you to choose two of those breeds. So you choose "shepherd/lab" and everything is good. But if you choose "shepherd/chow", they say the dog is banned. It's the same dog with the same risk.

This is the biggest problem with breed bans. They are based on appearance and a simplified understanding of genetics.

My rescue group took in two sibling puppies. They were at least husky and shepherd. The male looked like a husky and acted like a shepherd. The female looked like a shepherd and acted like a husky. People saw the "shepherd" and expected a dog like their beloved shepherd - loyal, dedicated, eager to please. It was extremely difficult to get them to accept that she was not that shepherd. She was always thinking how to outsmart you, she got bored easily and found things to occupy her mind, and she didn't care if you liked it or not. I turned down many a home because they couldn't see past her appearance.

Genetics means that the puppies get half the dna from mama and half from papa. But each puppy gets those halves randomly. Add in that few dogs are just one or two breeds and that causes even more differences. So you can have three puppies from the same litter and all three will be different. One may have more chow appearance but more lab personality. Another may have more beagle looks and personality. And the third may have the coat of a lab, the shape of a beagle, the scenting instincts of a beagle, and the protectiveness of a chow. But they are all the same mix breed. Which do you ban? The standard is to ban by appearance - so you've banned the dog with the lab personality and accepted the dog with the chow protectiveness. Which is more likely to bite due to "breed"???
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
JoeH wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I have a 85# dog, that is on the so called banned list. (More lunacy)
Anyway he is no harder to deal with than a small dog. As long as you train the dog it is not an issue. Large or small they both require care, exercise and training.

Unfortunately, the banned list is being mandated by liability insurance carriers. We had a rental complex and over the years, the insurance carriers started to require that certain sizes/breeds not be allowed. In today's litigious society you need to have insurance, and in order to have the insurance you have to restrictions, that's the way it works.

While I don't dispute what your saying. The one time I was not allowed to check in due to my dog. I simply drove 1 mile away to the next CG where they gladly took my money.
Seems silly one CG declares my breed is dangerous while the CG down the road could care less.

When we shopped for homeowners insurance a while ago, some companies had a list of breeds that was ridiculously excessive. Even though we don't presently have a dog, I won't purchase from a company like that. I don't patronize companies with unreasonable policies and procedures. If that is what they are like when I'm purchasing a policy, how are they going to act if I file a claim.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
WE have an 85 lb Labrador Retriever.She loves people and is friendly with other dogs. Most Labs are like that. She is a great traveler,sleeps most of the time when on the road.German Shepards can be great dogs if raised right and trained right. I would suggest getting a puppy and take it to obedience school where it can socialize with other dogs and people. Make sure you socialize it with little kids too.As far as scratching the floor,we have never had a problem with that. Keep their nails trimmed and you can always put a runner down in the walking area.Dogs are great companions. I like most dogs better than most people!

Lakeland_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with 2 x 75 lb. Weimaraners. They love traveling with us. Yes, it can be a problem with potty breaks but I need one more than they do.

Also, walking them is sometimes inconvenient to what I want to do, usually sleep.

But we take them when we sight see or eat out, leaving them in the truck with the windows down and a water bowl.

When we are going to want to do something where we cannot take them, we will have located a kennel for them and made reservations well in advance. That way we know what shots are required before we leave home. The dogs love staying at the kennel as we make sure they get "daycare" privileges to play with the other dogs.

The pleasure and feeling of security we get having them with us far out weighs any inconvenience they may cause.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
JoeH wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I have a 85# dog, that is on the so called banned list. (More lunacy)
Anyway he is no harder to deal with than a small dog. As long as you train the dog it is not an issue. Large or small they both require care, exercise and training.

Unfortunately, the banned list is being mandated by liability insurance carriers. We had a rental complex and over the years, the insurance carriers started to require that certain sizes/breeds not be allowed. In today's litigious society you need to have insurance, and in order to have the insurance you have to restrictions, that's the way it works.

While I don't dispute what your saying. The one time I was not allowed to check in due to my dog. I simply drove 1 mile away to the next CG where they gladly took my money.
Seems silly one CG declares my breed is dangerous while the CG down the road could care less.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Frank55
Explorer
Explorer

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo - that puppy would still be doing that to her today! My dad's akitas loved to climb up my mom to see out the living room window... One offered to trade his favorite toy for my sibling's baby.

I took in one my dad rescued (only animal he ever took in like that). Bear-dog was 3 yrs old and had never been outside his kennel in the prior owner's backyard. Taking him for a walk was like Ferdinand the Bull - this massive dog stopping to smell every flower he came across. He was very friendly but shy.

He loved my dad dearly. Once my dad stopped by to drop something off and came in to use the bathroom. He w as in a hurry and went back out and drove away. The akita sat by the door for 6 hours waiting for him to come back in to say hello to him. My dad never did that again. And I still have the Christmas photo of him and his sister Dog with Santa. He loved that huge stuffed toy the moment he saw it. Then, it spoke and Bear-dog realized there was a MAN in that stuffed toy! The photo shows Bear-dog trying to get as far away from Santa as possible, Santa leaning over trying to keep hold of Bear-dog, and Dog being pulled along.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Akitafolk: I told my wife many years ago that she could have any animal that she wanted, but if she started with 1, the next one would be an Akita. I love most all dogs regardless of breed, but Akitas are just Different.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
I am between dogs right now, but I have traveled with Akitas who ranged from 115 to 136#. Akitas are included on some cg ban lists.

My sister in Colorado was an Akita breeder for years. She has recently retired from doing that since she is soon moving back home to be near family.

Me helping her socialize some puppies during a visit in 2014. Every time I sat down, that particular puppy would crawl into my lap. DW said that if he had done that to her, he would have come home with us.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB