Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Large dog
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Large dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Frank55

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please list any positive or negative issues traveling with large dogs. My wife wants a German Sheperd and I do not see anything but problems. From scratching the floor to tbe issue of what to do with one while we are away for the day. I do not think it is right to leave a large dog locked inside a trailer all day.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have traveled with Golden Retrievers all over North America including a 3 month trip to Alaska in a Class B conversion van. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Of course, there are always some things that I did not do because I did not want to be away from the RV that long. But those few sacrifices are nothing compared to what my dog gave me in return.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we travel with our 30-lb beagle. if we're gonna be gone more than a dinner and a movie we'll find a sitter...usually doggie day care at kennel ot vet. she's quiet until she recognizes the car from her perch on the dash. but i wouldn't want to travel with a larger dog. RVs are small. strongly recommend you don't get a pet until you both agree on the breed.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

German Shepards are usually on the list of dog breeds banned from many RV parks. Food for thought.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may encounter some campgrounds that restrict certain breeds or have a size/weight limit for dogs.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 85# dog, that is on the so called banned list. (More lunacy)
Anyway he is no harder to deal with than a small dog. As long as you train the dog it is not an issue. Large or small they both require care, exercise and training.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't go anywhere without my dog.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first thought was the breed and the ban on certain breeds in the campgrounds, due to "their insurance policy." In State Parks and COE parks I have seen many
"banned breeds." I travel with a cocker spaniel, we have crossed the country this year and back now in home state. Yes, he does limit me to what I chose to do, but his companion ship and joy he brings me more than makes up for it.

In one private campground this trip, were 8 long-haired Chihuahua's and a German Shepherd... in about a 26' travel trailer with 3 adults. Hmmmm.

Until both of you can agree on getting a furkid, best to rethink it. JMHO.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frank55 wrote:

Please list any positive or negative issues traveling with large dogs. My wife wants a German Sheperd and I do not see anything but problems. From scratching the floor to tbe issue of what to do with one while we are away for the day. I do not think it is right to leave a large dog locked inside a trailer all day.
Your correct it's not good to leave any dog locked inside all day. I travel with Collies and it's a commitment. Lots of things I don't do because of the Collies, I'm fine with that others may not be. The Collies basically go with me everywhere except on the motorcycle. To me they are like family not possessions. They enjoy walking in the woods pontoon boat rides and travel. Dogs aren't for everybody and require a commitment, hauling around dog food, cleaning up after them, walks, vet visits, training. Make sure it's something that you both want before committing yourself.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traveled many miles in a 30' class A with a large Standard Poodle(50+ pounds) and a large show sized Greyhound( 85+ pounds of greased snake) and had many adventures of all kinds. Things to think about include big strong jaws with lots of big teeth, need to carry and use lots of big poop bags, Idiots with other dogs that run up too close with little yippy pets, Kids with stupid parents that let their kids run to to big doggies, need and ability to get out and exercise bigger dogs, the amount of food required for bigger dogs, and just the sheer space requirements for a bigger dog. Also consider the general public opinion of the breed you are considering. And never forget the actual character of the breed. A greyhound was bred to be a fast efficient killer of small fast game, be it a wild rabbit or a loved small cat or dog. A poodle was and are, very efficient water retrievers of dead things. A full sized, standard poodle with a bad attitude and attack training is something you don't want to be on the bad side of. Our greyhounds attitude was "love Everybody" and the poodle was "everybody loves ME"

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Large dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.