Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Large dog
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Large dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really need to consider how you are going to use your RV.

Are you going to spend entire days sightseeing and such? Or will you spend the majority of time in the outdoors?

Next consider where you want to stay. As mentioned, RV Parks often have bans on breeds and/or large dogs. National parks don't allow dogs anywhere but paved roads and the campground, and they don't allow you to leave your dog unattended. USFS, COE, BLM, and BOR campgrounds are usually the most lenient - allowing dogs on trails, but rarely have hookups.

I camp with two large shepherd mixes. I rarely stay at RV Parks. I don't use day care or sitters - I won't leave my dogs with people I haven't been able to fully vet. I will be going to Death Valley soon. I contacted the park to ask about specifics. As I will be going during the cool season, it is OK for me to leave the dogs in the suv while I walk a short trail, etc. If I couldn't do that, I would not go at this point as I would be very limited on what I could do and see.

If I didn't already have dogs, I would wait. I would go to the places that are not dog-friendly first. Once,I'd done that, I would get the dog and then limit my trips to dog-friendly places.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

German Shepards are usually on the list of dog breeds banned from many RV parks. Food for thought.
I have seen them in RV parks from time to time but many parks won't let them in. I wouldn't travel with one. They're big dogs that need a lot of room and exercise.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can live with skipping beautiful camping sites and attractions that don't allow dogs. Or, if you can forego to places because you have to go back and attend to the dog's needs, then go for it.

And if these are good trade off for the wonderful companionship and loyalty of a dog.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that some campgrounds may not want them because they are considered dangerous. I'll argue that, because my small 20lb dog is not a good people/kid dog. Our male shepherd we had was a people kid dog. I would never hesitate to leave him alone with kids. We now have another shepherd and she is good with kids and people also.
With that said they are easy to travel with. The only time you have to worry about them damaging anything is when they are puppies. After that they are great dogs that are very easy to travel with. You will have to stop for bathroom breaks before the dog.
I would highly recommend them, and skip the campgrounds that don't want your money! The amount of campgrounds with breed restrictions is low compared to the new that are pet friendly.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we travel with a 45# Boxer that loves people. she's very comfortable to leave in the trailer for around 6 hours. I don't like to leave her longer but I don't think she would mind. she will stretch out on the bed and sleep all day. the one important thing is they must mind and do what you tell them. I will sometimes have her out off the leash when i'm hooking up and tell her to set. I will walk around the camper raising the stabilizers and picking up things. if i'm at the rear putting away the hose and electrical cord I will call her back and have her set ( she likes to watch me)she will never move if I tell her to set and stay. we have never been to a camp ground that we couldn't have her. we have a lot of fun with her and she likes to go.
Jay D.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having dogs with you limit what you can do, and how long you can leave them in the rv. If they are not used to it, they tend to bark the entire time you are gone, which can lead to problems with the neighbors. Im sure it stresses out the animal as well. Only you can decide if you are willing to do what it takes to have a dog. Myself personally, I wont get an animal, because I want the flexibility to change my mind at any time, and not be committed to have to return to the rv every four or five hours. I travel with friends who have dogs. I see the problems it creates, but people who love their dogs, love their dogs, and are willing to sacrifice certain things for their pets. Many rv parks don't allow dogs over 80 lbs. For ease of travelling and size, I would try to pick a breed under that size, and not on a banned list.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog forum?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big question is where and when to you camp?

Occasional weekend camping where you spend most of your time hanging around the campsite...no problem as long as you train properly.

Full time where you often spend most of the day away from the campsite...a lot less viable. Not impossible by any means but a major commitment...particularly since it sounds like you aren't pro getting the dog to start with (ie: will it become a point of friction when it's a rainy night and you get told to take the dog because he needs to go walkies)

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 02:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frank55 wrote:

Please list any positive or negative issues traveling with large dogs. My wife wants a German Sheperd and I do not see anything but problems. From scratching the floor to tbe issue of what to do with one while we are away for the day. I do not think it is right to leave a large dog locked inside a trailer all day.

I traveled all over the USA and Alaska with a 72# retired service K-9, of the Belgium Malinois breed and only had one issue: Uncontrolled little white poodles that want to show how tough they are and dumb handlers that think that action was funny.

Otherwise there were no issues. We made memories from Maine to Florida, and from Texas to Alaska. Wonderful experience. My girl loved to swim, so every place we stayed at that had water, she was swimming. The Atlantic in Maine, the brown water bogs of Florida, the Gulf in Texas, The Pacific in Alaska and hundreds of lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams in between. I smile as I write this and end with a sorrowful ache in my heart for my partner has crossed the 'rainbow' bridge.

So to the OP er, take your pet, be a responsible pet owner, and make some memories.

Lakeside

[image]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

German Shepards are usually on the list of dog breeds banned from many RV parks. Food for thought.

I do not recall ever seeing a ban on Shepard. they tend to be nice friendly dogs.. now Terriers. pit bulls. Rot's Malamutes (part wolf) and so on..... Most of them are nice dogs too.

One Malamute I met you'd have thought he was a kitty cat, in fact when I stopped petting him he reached out with a paw bigger than my hand and pulled my hand back so I could keep petting him EXACTLY like my cat (I have cats).

Chihuahua Now those little hairless rats are VICIOUS.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Large dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.