cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pigion Forge TN

Ziphead2
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about going to Pigion Forge TN this August. Looking at campgrounds for my Class C. I was looking at Camp Rivers Landing for about a week. Any suggestions or other places to stay? Suggestions on the area??thanks
28 REPLIES 28

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would stay in the CG's inside the park. Been there several times and was able to get a site each time without reservations. Camped right on a river in Elkmont CG. GK's floated the river on tubes. They had a lot of old buildings to explore. Kids fished and caught some trout. There is a wildlife loop in Cades Cove to explore also. I would take the tow car into Pigeon forge to go shopping or explore the town but would not camp there when there is such a nice Smokey Mtn NP to camp in.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Different strokes for different folks. The area offers everything from hiking to waterfalls in the National Park to go karts to interesting exhibits like the Titanic Museum to Ripley's offerings. It is diverse enough to appeal to everyone in one way or another. Dollywood is a great park. Splash Country is a great water park for the kids and adults alike. People like to go places and eat things and shop. Shopping is the #1 tourist activity anywhere they go.

I live outside the area but I love giong into the chaos and play tourist myself. There is so much to do, great restaurants everywhere, great campgrounds everywhere and if you can't find something to entertain you and enjoy you might have a different idea of entertainment and that's fine too. The dinner shows are wonderful entertainment. Driving through the park is beautiful. GSMNP has the most original structures of any National Park, the largest black bear population and lots of other wildlife and miles upon miles of hiking trails. It is the most visited National Park of all of them. There is a reason for that.

We all have our personal reasons for going to the places we go and the style of camping we enjoy. This is a vast country and there is more to see than one lifetime can accommodate. Make the most of it while you can because no one is guaranteed a tomorrow.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
lazydays wrote:
Love the Smokies, as we average two trips a year. Will be there again in two weeks. We go for the tourist stuff. Could care less about the park as we rarely visit it when we go. Are two go to campgrounds is Archor Downs and River Plantation.

This is why they have different things for different people. We DO NOT enjoy the touristy stuff and these are our least favorite campgrounds.

I'm NOT a shopper, so the outlet malls are places I avoid like the plague. Our two teens enjoy the go-carts and all that, but we only do that one day, usually a day at Dollywood and then we head into Gatlinburg and walk the downtown streets for a few hours.

That's what makes life interesting....different outlooks on the same thing.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
Love the Smokies, as we average two trips a year. Will be there again in two weeks. We go for the tourist stuff. Could care less about the park as we rarely visit it when we go. Are two go to campgrounds is Archor Downs and River Plantation.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
We also love the Smokies & have been returning regularly since I was a child. The national park never disappoints. Probably why it is one of or maybe the most visited of our national parks. Traversing the main drag tests my medication but others love it. Many great RV parks to choose from;
Gatlinburg
Pigeon Forge
Sevierville
If you have never been or have children you probably need to experience the tourist trap aspect once & make up your own minds. We'll return regardless as the park is worth it to us.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not complaining about the traffic, at least not too much. It's a real sign our economy is strong when that many people are traveling for fun.

As for the standing water, there was a lot of rain. Some pooling was to be expected. It's unfortunate that it pooled so heavily in the camp sites rather than draining away from them. A puddle here and there is one thing, but a 4" deep pond that's bigger than the truck and 1/3 of the trailer has to have some basis in poor grading. Especially when it happens on more than one site and the entire area isn't flooded. Maybe its a rare occurrence, but I've been in much heavier rains without flooded campsites. Anyway, we enjoyed the trip and it was a great Thanksgiving.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There is never an 'off' season here although there are weeks that are not as busy as other weeks. My rain gage showed 2 3/4 inches of rain the other night, it dumped so I am not surprised you had some standing water that morning, sucks but it happens.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from our annual trek. We stayed at River Plantation RV Resort again. We usually get a pull through, but they were all booked up when we made our reservation this time so we stayed in a back in. Last night was constant rain with intermittent deluges. We had to swim out to hook the truck up the trailer. Seriously there was at least 3-4" of standing water almost surrounding the trailer with the truck center of the pool in front. We've never experienced that at any of our previous stays, but several sites surrounding us were in a similar situation.

Otherwise, great Thanksgiving weekend. This was by far the busiest Thanksgiving weekend in the past 10 years. Traffic on the parkway was reminiscent of the old days, bumper to bumper slow moving going south. Lots of traffic on the interstates coming home as well.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
fwiw, I despise tourist traps and that area is THE definition of one.
But everyone has his own tastes and I salute all of them!
+1 on the Dumplin Valley CG. We've been known to stay there when they have their bluegrass festival and its a good cg. Close to everything (mostly) without being where you cant move at certain times of the day.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are looking for price & don't need any of the 'resort' stuff or be in the center of all the hub ub, tucked away on the west side of the I40 exit is Dumplin Valley CG.

Seldom real busy. Lots of room for the dog to run. Quiet. No neon to be seen in any direction. It is an ex dairy farm & home to one of the best bluegrass festivals around in September.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area is one giant tourist trap. But that doesn't mean that is a negative. Some people like tourist trap type stuff myself included to a certain extent. I do like Gatlinburg better as it is walk able whereas Pigeon Forge you need to drive unless you take the trolley of course.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
One mans 'pretty cheesy' is another mans entertainment. Really people, if a place like Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are not your so called cup of tea then fine, don't come but to tell others basically not to bother because you don't care for it is unnecessary.

I never said any such thing. I was asking if they specifically wanted to stay in Pigeon Forge itself, or the vicinity. The main drag of Pigeon Forge is quite a different experience than getting 2 miles away from it. Some people want to be on the strip, others want to be in that general area. Before one can offer advice, they need to clarify what is being sought.

I never said don't bother. I never said I didn't care for it. Your projections are not necessary. I've been to the area, I love it. It made me interested in retiring to eastern Tennessee. I prefer Gatlinburg's tourist traps to Pigeon Forge's tourist traps. Prior to actually going there I didn't know the difference between the two cities. It sounds as if the OP isn't familiar with the area (hence the question), and I simply sought clarification for his answers. I'm sorry if my questions offended you, but I was just trying to figure out what the OP was looking for...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
ken56 wrote:
One mans 'pretty cheesy' is another mans entertainment. Really people, if a place like Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are not your so called cup of tea then fine, don't come but to tell others basically not to bother because you don't care for it is unnecessary. If you prefer to boondock and avoid people thats fine with everyone who would like to see the shows and partake of the great restaurants and the National Park. To each his own.

It's opinion, yes. All the more reason to share it. Give a better "picture" of what the place is. This is how we learn from one another. If you asked a question about a destination and everyone raved about it then you went and found you hated it because people only raved about certain aspects, how would you feel about that? Cheated?

And who said anything about avoiding people? You're pointing to extremes. Avoiding the heavy traffic and crowds? Yes. Staying at a nice quiet place with all the amenities away from the crowds but still not far from the "action"? Also yes. There is a middle ground.

People reading can take or leave what's posted. Always keep in mind that others are not going to rave about what you like and don't be upset that they don't. So don't tell others what they should or should not share. Sharing information is what forums are all about.

Mea culpa. All opinions are welcome.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
One mans 'pretty cheesy' is another mans entertainment. Really people, if a place like Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are not your so called cup of tea then fine, don't come but to tell others basically not to bother because you don't care for it is unnecessary. If you prefer to boondock and avoid people thats fine with everyone who would like to see the shows and partake of the great restaurants and the National Park. To each his own.

It's opinion, yes. All the more reason to share it. Give a better "picture" of what the place is. This is how we learn from one another. If you asked a question about a destination and everyone raved about it then you went and found you hated it because people only raved about certain aspects, how would you feel about that? Cheated?

And who said anything about avoiding people? You're pointing to extremes. Avoiding the heavy traffic and crowds? Yes. Staying at a nice quiet place with all the amenities away from the crowds but still not far from the "action"? Also yes. There is a middle ground.

People reading can take or leave what's posted. Always keep in mind that others are not going to rave about what you like and don't be upset that they don't. So don't tell others what they should or should not share. Sharing information is what forums are all about.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)