cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tucson to Depoe Bay, Oregon

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for the best way to get from Tucson next year to Depoe Bay, Oregon avoiding going through Las Vegas or Los Angeles. Pulling a 5th wheel and would like a good route with some campgrounds along the way. Not wanting to drive more than about 400 miles per day.
Thanks in advance,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
11 REPLIES 11

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've also never had issues going thru Vegas, especially now that the bypass is in place down by Hoover Dam. Hop on the 11 to the 515, and then onto 95 or north on I-15 to 93.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

samuraitowd
Explorer
Explorer
We drive Tucson/Reno quite a bit and Vegas is never a problem. I just leave about 6 car lengths so everyone can change lanes without being desperate. In 750 miles there are only about 4 stop signs. Very easy drive. Nevada roads are great. Then you can take I-80 to 5 or take 395 and angle over. We have found I-5 south of Sacramento very rough with heavy traffic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick n Andi

Rexhall American Clipper 29': 2005
Suzuki Samurai; 1994
Jeep Wrangler 2005

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I've gone up to the central Oregon coast for several summers. We've driven every which way. Sounds like you just want to get there quickly, which would be the already suggested I-40/58/99/I-5 route. But if you want to take your time, Hwy 395 north from 58 is very scenic and warrants several stops to enjoy the sites and scenery.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We usually go north from Bakersfield on 99 to 46 to 5.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I routinely deliver motorhomes to our Sacramento store from Tucson. I, and many other drivers have tried many routes the following is our favorite. This route is very motorhome friendly.

I take I-10 to Quartzite, then north on the 95 to Parker, then the 62 west to Vidal Junction, then north on the 95 to I-40 near Needles.

An alternate, and just as good, is I-10 to Blythe, then north on the 95 to I-40.

Take I-40 west where it becomes the 58 (just west of Barstow). The 58 will take you into Bakersfield where you can go north on either the 99 or I-5. Watch that the 99/58 intersection is under construction and the 99 might be your only choice, as it was last August.

Both roads merge into one at Sacramento. Then take I-5 north to your destination.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Less humping the canyons if you take 80 from East to West.

I80 is in really bad shape from the state line down to below the snow line - tire ruts in the roadway are several inches deep, making it "fun" to drive...changing lanes can be a real challenge!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your suggestions!!
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
As already suggested, go up as north as practicable to avoid LA/Vegas.

Less humping the canyons if you take 80 from East to West.

If you are not in a hurry, take the 101 coast the earliest possible (that will be north of San Francisco if you are taking the 80).

It's not called THE scenic route for nothing.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

BTW I've never had a significant problem with LA transient midday.

I suppose "significant problem" is relative. LA was a lousy commute 30 years ago and it has gotten significantly worse. When I travel through LA I avoid the std/direct approach and take a longer but quicker route which avoids most of the congestion.
Kevin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 89 north to Salt Lake, I-84 to Ontario, OR, US 20 to US 101.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several good ways to get to 58 into Bakersfield then up 5 which meets your criteria.

There are various options to drive further west like 20 and up 101 for more scenic and tourist areas.

BTW I've never had a significant problem with LA transient midday.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob