cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2nd to Wrangler what are the best toad options?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Especially considering fuel economy and ease of flat towing,what are the dinghy s of choice? I've heard Jettas get good mileage. What are the considerations if not going with a Wrangler?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
23 REPLIES 23

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2011 CRV with no problems. 30 MPG when driving mixed. The last year CRV towable was 2014. Plenty of low mileage CRVโ€™s out there (try Carmax). Also available in AWD versions.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
Our Chev Equinox listed below makes a great toad and very easy to set up.
All 2010-2017 V6 can be towed, some pre 2018 4cyl with electric steering have a "death wobble" issue which I understand is easily overcome, but not sure how.
2018's and up depend on the transmission and engine if they're towable or not.
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag ๐Ÿ™‚

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Fusion hybrids have always been towable (in production since the 2009 model year) as well as the newer Fusion Energi (plug-in) models. I previously towed a 2012 Fusion hybrid and now tow a 2019 Fusion Energi model. The current Energi model is the easiest to set up for towing yet - - no fuses to pull, etc. Any time the transmission is placed in neutral, a message pops up: "to engage Neutral Tow, press L" When you press L, a message "Neutral Tow engaged" pops up. The transmission is now locked in N and you're good to go. All these Ford hybrid vehicles (including Lincoln MKZ models) tow well and are comfortable and fuel efficient vehicles to drive as toads.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Equinox with diesel engine gets great mileage
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah there's a 512 page owner's manual that I haven't weeded through on my phone yet to find the pertinent information.
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs

Y-Guy
You might be looking for a Unicorn. Oddly enough a search of the archives for 'Subaru 2014" returns no results. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, good advice, I will. I'm still hoping to hear from someone actually using a 2014 (or close) manual transmission Subaru as a toad. Thanks

Y-Guy
joe&julie81 wrote:
According to the Motorhome Magazine towables chart the 2014 (just the age I thought I might want to purchase) is towable with no restrictions (manual transmission only).

So you've done step one, now hop online and google the owners manual for that same car, often manufacturers have them online. Verify that, but final step is the actual manual that shipped with the vehicle.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
joe&julie81 wrote:
According to the Motorhome Magazine towables chart the 2014 (just the age I thought I might want to purchase) is towable with no restrictions (manual transmission only). Several other Subaru models of that same year and manual are also listed as towable with no restrictions. So how reliable that list is I'm not sure; seems to be the main guide rvers use to pick out a toad to purchase for that purpose. I'm just wondering if any of you out there can give me first hand knowledge of actually usibg a 2014 Subaru manual, easily and with no issues for a number of years? Or does someone know that you absolutely cannot tow a 2014 Subaru.

Again (it can't be said too often), READ the Owners Manual and FOLLOW the instructions contained therein!
Yes, there have been times when the writers of the Manuals were behind times (Jeep steering lock, for instance. Even after the lock was deleted, the book said put the ignition switch in the "ACC" position to unlock the steering before towing. They deleted the "OFF, not locked" switch position at the same time!).
But, more often than not, the Manual is the final word.
Yes, there are people who tow vehicles even though the Manual says "Don't". If/when something bad happens, it comes out of their pocket. Maybe nothing bad will happen. How lucky do you feel?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
joe&julie81 wrote:
Especially considering fuel economy and ease of flat towing,what are the dinghy s of choice? I've heard Jettas get good mileage. What are the considerations if not going with a Wrangler?

I sold my 04 Wrangler and bought a 2018 2WD Tacoma ext cab 4 cylinder with automatic trans, all was needed was a driveline disconnect and it flat tows nice.

Can get up to 26 to 28 mpg on highway at 65 mph, you can also get it in a 4 door and a V-6 but mpg wont be as good as the 4 cylinder.

Best part is I now have a 6 foot truck bed for carry things when needed.

The Tacoma has a 2.7L 4 cylinder, largest 4 cylinder made.

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
According to the Motorhome Magazine towables chart the 2014 (just the age I thought I might want to purchase) is towable with no restrictions (manual transmission only). Several other Subaru models of that same year and manual are also listed as towable with no restrictions. So how reliable that list is I'm not sure; seems to be the main guide rvers use to pick out a toad to purchase for that purpose. I'm just wondering if any of you out there can give me first hand knowledge of actually usibg a 2014 Subaru manual, easily and with no issues for a number of years? Or does someone know that you absolutely cannot tow a 2014 Subaru.

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Our 08 Ford Escape Hybrid with a CVT can be towed, and last time I checked the C-MAX Hybrid was also ok. The Escape Hybrid is no longer in production and I don't know if the C-MAX Hybrid is still being made. If they still made the Escape I'd get one, it's been a great toad.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
As one fellow posted earlier we tow a 13 hyundai elantra and I have the tow kit for my 94 ranger pickup. the hyundai is under 3000 lbs, has a nice wide track and reasonable length that is good for a towed vehicle. The ranger is set up for carrying our boat when the grandkids want to go camping and fishing!

As to the best it all depends on what you want the vehicle for. jeeps are ok but not sure how much they weigh and in the few I have been in not overly comfortable but that is a personal objective. Both of my vehicle are manual transmissions, and that is what most folks DONT want. A guy we know bought a new diesel pusher and then bought a buick suv to tow, its automatic but i dont know if all are capable. So to answer what is best, again it all depends on what you want it for. We have take up to 300 mile rt in the elantra with passenger and no issues. Get good mpg and very easy to drive, park etc. ALso has good room in it and that is why we have it. Back seat lays down giving more cargo space so go a look around at what they have (auto co's) and make up your own mind as to WHAT IS BEST.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Older manual transmission Subarus were towable, I have read, according to the Owner's Manual. Newer Subarus are not, even manual transmission models.
Regardless of the vehicle you are interested in, always find "Recreational Towing" (or something similar) in the Owners Manual, read and follow the instructions.
Generally speaking: No vehicle that has a CVT is towable. Manual transmission does not necessarily mean it is towable. Automatic transmission does not necessarily mean it is not towable. If there is no warranty, anything can be towed, if you are willing to accept the fact that the transmission might be destroyed due to lack of lubrication (it might take a while, but eventually it will probably happen). If there is a warranty, but the Manual says "do not tow with all wheels on the ground", but you do it anyway, the warranty on the transmission will likely be void.
As for "best towed", I don't believe there is a "best". There is only what YOU like. For instance, years ago the most common "towed" was a Volkswagen Beetle, the original. Very light vehicle, fun to drive, inexpensive towbar readily available, just hook it up, put the tranny in Neutral, and go. No limitations.
Good luck in your search for YOUR "best toad".
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"