Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do upgrades help the selling price?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do upgrades help the selling price?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am selling my TC, but am wondering if all the upgrades are really going to add much value to it. If I remove them then that saves me the money for the next time I need these upgrades.

I currently have a 2nd solar system to the tune of about $600.
[image]

And the solar I will leave on it
[image]

And I took the propane fridge out
[image]
and just use an ARB danfoss electric chest fridge, should I put the old propane unit back in?

With the old fridge gone I have big storage
[image]

It is a lot of work to convert back to venting the propane now that I closed it all up, but the ARB I would rather keep than an old perfectly good propane fridge.

In my experience people mostly do not know or appreciate such upgrades until they have lived in it a while and understand it.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NADA on several years old options will give you about 10% of original value.
So if you have good chance of needing them on new RV, take them off.
But than there is psychological aspect of having better equipped unit than market competition, meaning you might not get direct cash payment for the option, but your camper might sell fast, when other will stay for a year.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On an RV, I don't think so. If you want or need those additional items you've installed on your current camper for your new one, then take them off. To replace them for current cost, vs what few pennies you might get out of them selling on the old camper will never equal. The additions have more value to you as replacement costs will far exceed anything you get out of selling them used. Besides, what do you do with a removed RV refrigerator? Let the mice nest in it?

We upgraded our last TT with a 15,000 btu air conditioner. It added absolutely nothing in extra value when sold if it would have have had had the 13,500 one. FYI, we still have the 13,500 one in the shed at home. It's been sitting for 6 years now. I can't even give it away!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The value will be that you get to actually sell the RV but little to nothing in the price.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thought is to sell with upgrades vs. going through the trouble of making it original again.
I agree you will not get more $$$ for your upgrades but the unit should sell faster vs. stock unit

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I am or maybe I’m not the typical RV shopper. But I wouldn’t buy a TC without a propane fridge and a freezer and I don’t care if it has solar or not.
My opinion, take you’re mods off. More marketable and less cost for your next rig.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 01:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd try selling it as is and see if you can get a reasonable price with the extras...To the right shopper,those upgrades are important...If not,then take off what's appropriate to sell...

Also if someone is really interested but the price is the issue,the extras could be the deal maker or breaker.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 02:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much effort will it take to make it original?

If you just strip off equipment and it's obvious you did it and didn't clean up the holes and put things back to original condition, that will detract.

No it won't add anything significant to the price you get. It might help you sell quicker when they compare to similar units without the equipment.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Maybe I am or maybe I’m not the typical RV shopper. But I wouldn’t buy a TC without a propane fridge and a freezer and I don’t care if it has solar or not.
My opinion, take you’re mods off. More marketable and less cost for your next rig.

You never know what others might want but I wouldn't even consider an RV without at least a propane fridge.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could certainly replace the ARB with a cheaper unit off Amazon. Not sure I’d want to turn loose of that.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do upgrades help the selling price?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.