cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do upgrades help the selling price?

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I am selling my TC, but am wondering if all the upgrades are really going to add much value to it. If I remove them then that saves me the money for the next time I need these upgrades.

I currently have a 2nd solar system to the tune of about $600.

And the solar I will leave on it

And I took the propane fridge out

and just use an ARB danfoss electric chest fridge, should I put the old propane unit back in?

With the old fridge gone I have big storage

It is a lot of work to convert back to venting the propane now that I closed it all up, but the ARB I would rather keep than an old perfectly good propane fridge.

In my experience people mostly do not know or appreciate such upgrades until they have lived in it a while and understand it.
19 REPLIES 19

DWeikert
Explorer
Explorer
You did verify the old propane fridge works before reinstalling I hope. The ARB would probably get you more than a non-working 3-way.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Drawers are gone, old antiquated propane 3-way will soon be installed.

The caulk worked great for a glue. It pulled away some of the plys from the plywood instead of pulling apart at the caulk. It came apart with a hammer easily, yet would have held firm forever if left in place.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
To be clear, there is a fridge, it is the ARB, just not mounted.
A newbie RVer will think that an installed propane fridge is the greatest thing ever, but seasoned RVers, especially boondockers, will know that propane fridges are a thing going the way of a dinosaur.

I did all this work thinking I would keep it forever, then things changed.
I still lack the heart or energy to undo it all.

There were no "holes" or any damage whatsoever done to the camper for these mods., inside or out The drawers were installed with tight fitting carpentry and I used caulk to "glue" the frame structure to the inside of the cabinet, so all can be undone with no evidence it was ever there. The solar wires enter where the fridge roof vent was. I did it this way to retain value as if it would ever be a collectible.

ARB fridge, $850, Propane fridge I cant sell it for $400, so I may put it back in and retain a much more valuable fridge.

Thanks, I get from these few replies that mods probably do not add value to the avg buyer.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what the buyer wants. If they want the upgrades then they will pay for them so they do not have to do the work. If they do not want them then you are loosing out as they will not want to pay. When I sold my NL I had many upgrades that the buyer wanted. BUT I had a trailer customized to the TCer that the buyer could not take as it would not fit in their driveway. It was better for me to drop the price and keep the trailer. I sold the trailer separately later.

List it as is and then if someone comes and says they will give you less as they don't want some things you say okay but I am keeping X,Y & Z. You have nothing to loose.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Bedlam
I found modifications and extras will help sell something over stock if done right but rarely bring in the money for the cost and time you put into them. I've bought and sold some off-road toys over the years. One of the toys had twice more in extras than what the vehicle cost and I restored it to semi stock while selling off or repurposing the extras. Another toy, I kept more of the extras on the vehicle and just waited for the right buyer to come along since I was still using it until it sold and was in no rush for the sale.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Buyers only look for ways to whittle away at the asking price and will not assign value to added options. However, there is a very slight chance the right private party buyer might offer a few extra dollars, but a dealer will not.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
List it as is for the price you want. Include details, cost and pics of the upgrades. In the body of the ad state that if you do not want "this item" the unit price will go down X amount. And that removal of the items not wanted will take time.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of listing the camper the way it is and offer the old fridge re-installation.
The truth is that you never know how the extra options will play.
In last years new cars offer blind spot assistance and braking assistance.
That is about $3000 option to buy the package.
Will it bring much in resale value? Not, but good used cars with this option sell immediately, when those without can sit for months.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happens with Motorcycles. People put on LOTS of after market goodies. They don't bring $.10 on resale.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
The camper you are selling is old and rare . The perspective buyers will either know what they are looking at or not have a clue . Offer the original parts and fridge with the deal , not installed . You have a limited market .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
You could certainly replace the ARB with a cheaper unit off Amazon. Not sure I’d want to turn loose of that.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Maybe I am or maybe I’m not the typical RV shopper. But I wouldn’t buy a TC without a propane fridge and a freezer and I don’t care if it has solar or not.
My opinion, take you’re mods off. More marketable and less cost for your next rig.

You never know what others might want but I wouldn't even consider an RV without at least a propane fridge.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
How much effort will it take to make it original?

If you just strip off equipment and it's obvious you did it and didn't clean up the holes and put things back to original condition, that will detract.

No it won't add anything significant to the price you get. It might help you sell quicker when they compare to similar units without the equipment.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try selling it as is and see if you can get a reasonable price with the extras...To the right shopper,those upgrades are important...If not,then take off what's appropriate to sell...

Also if someone is really interested but the price is the issue,the extras could be the deal maker or breaker.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04