Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do upgrades help the selling price?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do upgrades help the selling price?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The camper you are selling is old and rare . The perspective buyers will either know what they are looking at or not have a clue . Offer the original parts and fridge with the deal , not installed . You have a limited market .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same thing happens with Motorcycles. People put on LOTS of after market goodies. They don't bring $.10 on resale.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the idea of listing the camper the way it is and offer the old fridge re-installation.
The truth is that you never know how the extra options will play.
In last years new cars offer blind spot assistance and braking assistance.
That is about $3000 option to buy the package.
Will it bring much in resale value? Not, but good used cars with this option sell immediately, when those without can sit for months.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

List it as is for the price you want. Include details, cost and pics of the upgrades. In the body of the ad state that if you do not want "this item" the unit price will go down X amount. And that removal of the items not wanted will take time.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buyers only look for ways to whittle away at the asking price and will not assign value to added options. However, there is a very slight chance the right private party buyer might offer a few extra dollars, but a dealer will not.

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found modifications and extras will help sell something over stock if done right but rarely bring in the money for the cost and time you put into them. I've bought and sold some off-road toys over the years. One of the toys had twice more in extras than what the vehicle cost and I restored it to semi stock while selling off or repurposing the extras. Another toy, I kept more of the extras on the vehicle and just waited for the right buyer to come along since I was still using it until it sold and was in no rush for the sale.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what the buyer wants. If they want the upgrades then they will pay for them so they do not have to do the work. If they do not want them then you are loosing out as they will not want to pay. When I sold my NL I had many upgrades that the buyer wanted. BUT I had a trailer customized to the TCer that the buyer could not take as it would not fit in their driveway. It was better for me to drop the price and keep the trailer. I sold the trailer separately later.

List it as is and then if someone comes and says they will give you less as they don't want some things you say okay but I am keeping X,Y & Z. You have nothing to loose.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be clear, there is a fridge, it is the ARB, just not mounted.
A newbie RVer will think that an installed propane fridge is the greatest thing ever, but seasoned RVers, especially boondockers, will know that propane fridges are a thing going the way of a dinosaur.

I did all this work thinking I would keep it forever, then things changed.
I still lack the heart or energy to undo it all.

There were no "holes" or any damage whatsoever done to the camper for these mods., inside or out The drawers were installed with tight fitting carpentry and I used caulk to "glue" the frame structure to the inside of the cabinet, so all can be undone with no evidence it was ever there. The solar wires enter where the fridge roof vent was. I did it this way to retain value as if it would ever be a collectible.

ARB fridge, $850, Propane fridge I cant sell it for $400, so I may put it back in and retain a much more valuable fridge.

Thanks, I get from these few replies that mods probably do not add value to the avg buyer.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drawers are gone, old antiquated propane 3-way will soon be installed.

The caulk worked great for a glue. It pulled away some of the plys from the plywood instead of pulling apart at the caulk. It came apart with a hammer easily, yet would have held firm forever if left in place.

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did verify the old propane fridge works before reinstalling I hope. The ARB would probably get you more than a non-working 3-way.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do upgrades help the selling price?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.