cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Website Host

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can anyone recommend a website host and site build program that is fairly simple to either move a website, or create a new one. As you all might know, I'm pretty tech dumb, and have problems with tech stuff, so just built it once (actually several times) and then tech changes happen make it less useful.

It purely informational, posts photos from our trips, and talks about wildlife and places to see - things to read. Does not sell anything.

We just want to post nature info etc, a few other things. Mostly a static site, unless I add trip/nature photos or some destination or habitat words occasionally.

I've had Go-Daddy for a couple years, but it keeps tweaking my content, removing some plug-ins etc, and generally fouling up the site every few months - then wants to sell me a 'fix-it' patch.

Go-Daddy claims tech support is USA - Arizona, but I just spoke with a tech based in Philippines I could not understand - believe me, I tried. ... interestingly enough, Philippines is a Tagalog AND English speaking country- But not this guy.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
13 REPLIES 13

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
I use DreamWeaver for our chapter website. The code can be housed on any providers space. No proprietary code that can't be moved.

Richard
I use Dreamweaver for my websites too. The master copy of the website is on my PC so if anything happens to the online copy, I can restore it easily.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I use DreamWeaver for our chapter website. The code can be housed on any providers space. No proprietary code that can't be moved.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
mich800 wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
monkey44 wrote:

Go-Daddy claims tech support is USA - Arizona, but I just spoke with a tech based in Philippines I could not understand - believe me, I tried. ... interestingly enough, Philippines is a Tagalog AND English speaking country- But not this guy.

I used Yahoo Business (I think they renamed it). It's intuitive and easy to use. Again when I was using it selling items at Amazon. I think they are using India as tech support so the best way to communicate is by chat - not voice.

I'm surprised about difficulty in understanding Philippine tech support. They are trained and would even have a US English accent.

Yeah, you'l get charged with upgrades like adding a payment portal, etc.

Yes, surprised me too, I've been to Philippines numerous times, and most speak excellent English. Luck of the phone tree, me ๐Ÿ˜ž

Charged for upgrades, yes, I get that. But, I had a slider plugin for three years... suddenly GO-Daddy says, 'We just black-listed that, and we have one you can buy to replace it.' ... and GD removed it, and fouled up my entire site, and I had to rebuild it -- for a non-tech like me that was days and days of trial and error, and trial again.

That's third time - and WP keeps changing and I can't keep up - I'd just like an easy to add content way to, well add content.

In this case, FB or Blog might be additionally, but we need actual NPO website eventually.

My site is nearly static, so I don't add content often. Then, when I go look at it occasionally, it's different and misaligned or whatever, and again, get offered a 'fix' for bucks. I pay annually, I just want it to sit there, it's not a sales site. In fact, it will eventually become a NPO wildlife protection site, but for now, it's just a collector of info until we launch NPO site next year.

Turned into a little 'me' rant, here, but am only looking for a simple host site and simple content add method. Nothing fancy. ๐Ÿ˜ž

That is the problem with third party plugins. If a vulnerability is found and the developer does not patch or no longer supports that can happen.

Yes, I understand the why of a patch ... but they didn't tell me, just did it... and allow me no time to replace it - just pull it out and a month later I find it malfunctioning. OKAY, pull it, it dangerous, but at least tell me, and don't try to 'sell me a new upgrade' AFTER ruining my content -

I' check out these sites you all recommended, then choose one and move me... Thanks for all the advice....
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
monkey44 wrote:

I used Yahoo Business (I think they renamed it). It's intuitive and easy to use. Again when I was using it selling items at Amazon. I think they are using India as tech support so the best way to communicate is by chat - not voice.

I'm surprised about difficulty in understanding Philippine tech support. They are trained and would even have a US English accent.

Yes, surprised me too, I've been to Philippines numerous times, and most speak excellent English. Luck of the phone tree, me ๐Ÿ˜ž

Charged for upgrades, yes, I get that. But, I had a slider plugin for three years... suddenly GO-Daddy says, 'We just black-listed that, and we have one you can buy to replace it.' ... and GD removed it, and fouled up my entire site, and I had to rebuild it -- for a non-tech like me that was days and days of trial and error, and trial again.

That's third time - and WP keeps changing and I can't keep up - I'd just like an easy to add content way to, well add content.

In this case, FB or Blog might be additionally, but we need actual NPO website eventually.

My site is nearly static, so I don't add content often. Then, when I go look at it occasionally, it's different and misaligned or whatever, and again, get offered a 'fix' for bucks. I pay annually, I just want it to sit there, it's not a sales site. In fact, it will eventually become a NPO wildlife protection site, but for now, it's just a collector of info until we launch NPO site next year.

Turned into a little 'me' rant, here, but am only looking for a simple host site and simple content add method. Nothing fancy. ๐Ÿ˜ž

That is the problem with third party plugins. If a vulnerability is found and the developer does not patch or no longer supports that can happen.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at https://www.50webs.com/. They offer a free website and domain registration for $15/year. There are some limits - like a 500k file size upload limit. 50Webs is owned by LiquidNet Ltd. - a UK based web hosting company.
50webs Free Website Hosting wrote:
Our Free plan offers a basic pack of tools and resources for starting your own website without wasting a dime. Youโ€™ll find all that you need in one place - more than enough space and monthly traffic and multiple mailboxes. Also, your site will be clean of any unwanted banners and messages.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I had to move my personal website because my ISP decided to stop hosting. I put everything on to my Google drive and used Google sites. The switch couldn't have been easier, but it is slightly slower, which doesn't bother us. I do not have a sophisticated site at all. I have even moved away from having page counters.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've been with 1&1 IONOS for about 15 years and have been very satisfied with the features and support.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
monkey44 wrote:

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
You could also use a blog platform- Googles blogger or Wordpress.

Yeah, I was going to just suggest Facebook.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use startlogic. I've been happy with them for years. Haven't had problems with glitches, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You could also use a blog platform- Googles blogger or Wordpress.
-- Chris Bryant

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:

Y-Guy
I've been using MacHighway.com for my home account for years, priced affordable for me. Also check out SiteGround.com

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon