cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

traveling during US Thanksgiving

napanee_ted
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know if anyone has had trouble with the traffic down 81 to 95 during the US thanksgiving. Or should I stay home until Monday after everyone has made there way back to work
7 REPLIES 7

AKF15E
Explorer
Explorer
We travel I-95 in NC and VA every Thanksgiving. We depart on Tuesday before and go home on Monday morning. Wednesday and Sunday are the worst. Also, once you get south of Richmond things are much better, regardless of the day. North of Richmond all the way up the East Coast = nightmare!
AKF15E
Goldsboro, NC

2011 GMC Sierra SLT 3500HD DRW, CC, Duramax, 4x4, Curt 20K hitch

2015 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

2020 Forest River Wolfpack 365Pack16 Toyhauler with a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture in the garage

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Travel Thanksgiving day around 3-5 pm and there will be almost nobody on the road as everybody will be in the midst of gorging themselves on food.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
The VT/UVA game is 1200 Friday. Traffic on I-81 is terrible before and after the game between I-64 and Blacksburg.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t travel on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving nor the first Sunday after. Otherwise I go!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We plan to leave MI and go south to Fla on Monday. Staying off I*95 or i-75 avoiding large cities during their rush hours. Should not be a problem if we are smart. Weather might be a bigger problem this year.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving can be tough going through most of the US. The Friday after is usually light because people are trying to snag black Friday deals. Sunday is bad, but Saturday can go either way.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Based on a little past experience, I predict that traffic won't be bad on Thanksgiving Day but will be the days leading up to it and after. Don't know specifically about those highways. I think it's one of the most traveled periods.
Jayco-noslide