Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Operating on a 20amp circuit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Operating on a 20amp circuit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just be sure you know what else may be on that line. We did almost exactly what you are describing at a friends house. Worked fine in the beginning but then house breaker would trip from time to time regardless of what was running in the coach. Turned out that his extra fridge in his basement was on the same line as the garage outlet we were using. when the fridge kicked on, house breaker would trip. once we got his fridge plugged into another outlet on another circuit, we were fine in the coach.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I lived in Detroit I put in a TT_30 for my 50 amp; rig (used an adapter) The outlet was fed with a 20 amp breaker and 12ga wire.

Ran all winter. LIghts. TV on occasion and TS-200 (100 watt Ham Radio) one small space heater when I was in the "ham shack" (Small room) furnace if it was very very cold. No water of course.

So long as you do not use electricity for heat. cooking or air conditioning (That includes water) you should be Ok.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the coach is also winterize (if you are in a cold area) you would not even need to run the heat all day. 20 amp is actually quite a lot so without any high draw items you won't have any concerns.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have the method to do it. We have quite often. We can run the air on 20 amp. In the cold it is knowing what your power draws are. We can run two small heaters on low power or one on high. Turn them off when running the coffee maker or toaster.

Be very aware of what is on.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your biggest concern is how you get the 20 Amps to the unit. If you can plug your camper cord with adapter directly into an outlet do it. If you need to run an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy one.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Converting your ceiling lights to LED would be good thing to do.. Might want to plan on doing this for future 12VDC Power saving items... I have some neat very bright yard LED lights that have solar panels on them. They great to take along on camping trips when you need to conserve 12VDC items...

I try not to use the furnace fan when possible. It is a big 12VDC drain on the batteries...

We have several of these hanging D CELLS light that you pull up to get more light. Got mine from WALMART... They also available from AMAZON.. Neat to have one for every room. Have one in each of our house bathroom here at the house... Worth it's weight in gold when the lights go off when you are in the bathroom haha...

[image]

One caution item when you start using your truck to supplement your 12VDC source. You do not want to run your truck start battery down by any means... I always carry a 2KW Honda generator along with a small battery charger just for worse case battery usage... My get home PLAN B haha...

Roy Ken
[image]

* This post was last edited 11/22/19 07:12am by RoyB *   View edit history

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

Converting your ceiling lights to LED would be good thing to do.. Might want to plan on doing this for future 12VDC Power saving items... I have some neat very bright yard LED lights that have solar panels on them. They great to take along on camping trips when you need to conserve 12VDC items...

I try not to use the furnace fan when possible. It is a big 12VDC drain on the batteries...

We have several of these hanging D CELLS light that you pull up to get more light. Got mine from WALMART... They also available from AMAZON.. Neat to have one for every room. Have one in each of our house bathroom here at the house... Worth it's weight in gold when the lights go off when you are in the bathroom haha...

[image]

One caution item when you start using your truck to supplement your 12VDC source. You do not want to run your truck start battery down by any means... I always carry a 2KW Honda generator along with a small battery charger just for worse case battery usage... My get home PLAN B haha...

Roy Ken
[image]
They will be plugged into a wall outlet. Cheers

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 20 amp 110 volt circuit probably has close to 100 times the amount of power available that I used on my most recent trip (solar, 12v, dry camping for ~5 days). You will be able to run your gas heat and water heater and electric fridge indefinitely on that much current. You might be surprised to learn that you seldom ever draw that much current from the grid even at your house unless your A/C is running, you're using big tools/welder/air compressors etc. Even with the use of your air conditioner, as some say above, as long as you didn't use any high draw devices at the same time, 20 amps is plenty.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do that all the time when visiting friends. We use heavy duty extension cord and if the house were connecting to has antiquated wiring we usually keep the fridge running on propane. We use an electric heater set on low.

Kevin

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would unplug the Microwave and turn the Roof AC breaker OFF. Since you will be have visitors inside, this will ensure they do not overload the system. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Operating on a 20amp circuit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.