cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone gone on a Cruise?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, So my wife is wanting to do a cruise. probably a western Caribbean, maybe Eastern... were not sure as we have never taken a cruise before.

Has anyone gone on a cruise in the off season? (of RVing). we are planning on February 2021. If so what is best? (I know this is an open ended question) we just don't know. we are wanting to do a 7 night cruise.

What is everyone`s opinion? I`m looking for all the info we can get!

thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
48 REPLIES 48

dedmiston
That's probably enough Cruise Chat for an RV forum. Thanks for all the constructive comments.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
And thanks again everyone. This is our first cruise so we are splurging. Then the next one we can decide what we want and donโ€™t want. We have 2 sea days. And Iโ€™m an outside person. I hate when we have a wedding and we are stuck in the room waiting. A balcony is a must have for me.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Heck we prefer the sea days. Balcony is great for that, as long as it is smooth. Our favorite itinerary is Trans-Atlantic!

As one guy said, "there are porters and there are crossers -- T/A folks are crossers".

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Every cruise I've been on has had sea days. Having a balcony is a bonus. Being able to sit out on the balcony at different times of the day for us is part of cruising. It's also nice being able to be outside when the ships docking or leaving. If nothing more it's nice having a large window to create an open feeling.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
happy2rv wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:
We book the lowest price room, inside lower level. You will use the room for two purposes, sleeping and getting changed to go to dinner. Other than sleeping, we spend less than an hour a day in the room. Save the money for excursions!

This is not our experience. Many people share schlep's point of view, but we spend far more time in our room than this.

Some of the room choice is based on the type of cruise.
- Alaska cruises...it's all about watching the scenery pass by. Moving up to a balcony can make a lot of sense.
- Caribbean...they usually travel at night, so not nearly as much to gain.
- River...They often raft the ships 2-4 deep...if you are on the side adjacent to another ship, doesn't matter if you have a balcony, you still are looking at a window literally 2ft away, so not much point in getting a balcony.

And we were the exact opposite. Alaska, didnโ€™t need the balcony because it was often too cold to sit outside. In contrast in the Caribbean, taking room service breakfast on the balcony every morning is positively wonderful. Nothing like it, especially on sea days.

Weโ€™ve done 4 cruises. Celebrity was far and away the best food; Princess pretty good. Royal Caribbean and Carnival varied from bad to decent with the occasional good item.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Y'all can have your mega ship cruises with thousands of your newest best friends. Here is my style of cruising. Big enough for 2 plus the dog & a cooler to survive the day.:)

Click For Full-Size Image.

I like it. Looks nice and secluded! However I don't think that's going to make it from Miami to Mexico!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Y'all can have your mega ship cruises with thousands of your newest best friends. Here is my style of cruising. Big enough for 2 plus the dog & a cooler to survive the day.:)

Click For Full-Size Image.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
OP has picked his cruise, and I'm sure they will enjoy it.

One thing to consider in choosing a cruise line.If you look at the prices for the "Premium" lines (Viking, Seabourn, Oceania, Crystal, Azamara) and compare them to the "Mainline" lines (Princess, NCL, Royal, Celebrity, etc.) you might get sticker shock.
However, many are much more inclusive. Crystal is our favorite, and has gone all-inclusive now. Wine, drinks, tips, all in. And the service is unquestionably more attentive. So the price difference is significantly less.
We took Alaska in successive years, on Oceania then NCL. Same company, but night-and-day difference in service and food.

From less to more pricey, our favorites: Princess>>Viking>>Crystal>>Seabourn.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I was on a cruise for 3 years courtesy of the US Navy .

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
happy2rv wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:
We book the lowest price room, inside lower level. You will use the room for two purposes, sleeping and getting changed to go to dinner. Other than sleeping, we spend less than an hour a day in the room. Save the money for excursions!

This is not our experience. Many people share schlep's point of view, but we spend far more time in our room than this.

Some of the room choice is based on the type of cruise.
- Alaska cruises...it's all about watching the scenery pass by. Moving up to a balcony can make a lot of sense.
- Caribbean...they usually travel at night, so not nearly as much to gain.
- River...They often raft the ships 2-4 deep...if you are on the side adjacent to another ship, doesn't matter if you have a balcony, you still are looking at a window literally 2ft away, so not much point in getting a balcony.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
dodge guy wrote:
OK. Well my wife booked the cruise today! When she gets the bug to do something she follows through with it. Went with Royal Caribbean on the Symphony of the Seas 7 night cruise in early Feb. Booked an outside balcony room. Leaving from Miami, then Cozumel, Routan Honduras, Puerto Costa Maya Mexico, Perfect Day at a Cococay Bahamas and then back to Miami, there are 2 days at sea.

Thanks everyone for all the help and info. It was very helpful and insightful.

Roatan is one of the greatest places we've ever seen. If my lovely wife ever leaves me, the first place I'll look for her is Roatan.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Well my wife booked the cruise today! When she gets the bug to do something she follows through with it. Went with Royal Caribbean on the Symphony of the Seas 7 night cruise in early Feb. Booked an outside balcony room. Leaving from Miami, then Cozumel, Routan Honduras, Puerto Costa Maya Mexico, Perfect Day at a Cococay Bahamas and then back to Miami, there are 2 days at sea.

Thanks everyone for all the help and info. It was very helpful and insightful.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
After being on a few cruises, you will find that at times the ports of call will make little difference. I've taken Mexico cruises so many time, there are ports I don't get off the ship...( Advantage of living in So. Calif).

I also agree about your room, yes you can spend a small fortune on outside cabins, balcony room and suites...but this is totally up to you and your comfort level.

As stated before go to vacations to go website just to get an idea of discounted cruises...they have some outrageous deals. Have fun!!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

dedmiston
Tvov wrote:
We got a balcony room for our Disney / Alaska cruise, mostly because it was our first cruise and I figured we'd splurge.

It was great! We were out on the balcony every day for awhile.

Having said that... I can understand, after going on a few cruises, why people would want to save money by getting an inside cabin.

My wife probably isn't unique in the fact that she takes for-stinking-ever to get ready. Day or night, that balcony paid off in spades. I could sit out there and read a book while she got ready and I never got uptight.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230