cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody else have trouble packing for camping

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
This has always affected me. I love camping, I would go full time if I could. But I always have trouble packing.

It's almost 9:30 am and I'm waiting for the kids to get out of school around 3. So far the extent of my prep is on Tuesday I put the sleeping bags in the popup and closed it all up before it rained. I haven't even considered food or shopping and no clothes are packed. Yes I'll get it done, but for some reason I always hate getting ready for the trip.

Does this happen to any of you?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
56 REPLIES 56

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Rereading, I see the Op's post was really about procrastination, not about technical difficulties in packing. Oops! But thanks for giving me an opportunity to think out loud about my own packing problems :-).

When I find myself regularly procrastinating about something in particular, I sit myself down and ask myself, What is really going on here? Do I not want to go in the trip? Am I annoyed that other people are not helping with the packing? Something else?

I find it helps to take a minute and just ask myself what is going on.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm posting because I have similar problems to the OP. Not everybody on this forum has got it all figured out yet :).

After 5 years living halftime in a very small van, I decided to get a bigger van. I haven't sold the small one, though. I felt that I need to spend a winter camping in the big one to make sure that I really do like it better. This is my first winter in it.

I got the bigger van because, frankly, I wanted to be able to bring more stuff. But I think I have kind of overshot that. Something I loved about living in the small van was that I knew exactly where everything was. In the big van, I spend a lot of time searching for things. Partly this is because it's a new setup and I have not yet found the right place to keep each item. I also haven't finished building cabinets. But it's also just because I have too much stuff with me.

I have a problem when doing the packing, too. I don't have any storage space at my S&B where I can keep the van stuff. And I can't keep it in the van if I'm building cabinets and all. I think I'm going to have to get a shed.

I also have allergies, so I can't just keep things in the van all year and then hitch up (metaphorically) and leave. I have to wash everything in the weeks before I go, or I will sneeze myself to death.

But I still think it would be easier if I had separate van stuff, kept it in the shed. Then I could just pull it all out and wash it and stick it in the van. Rather than what I have been doing, which is basically sifting through my entire S&B every fall, choosing which things to bring with me in the van. It's too time-consuming.

Edits: TYpos!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

jfak7670
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that I don't like about camping is packing. That's why I plan everything beforehand, make a list of things to bring along, just to be sure I'll take everything and won't be in panic in a last minute. It is convenient to go camping with friends, in a bunch of people, because you can share your meals and it's easier to buy food and other stuff. The best thing I've learned about camping is that every single thing that you can do to make everything smaller, more compact gives you more room and you carry less.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My travel trailer has it's own set of stuff. Old towels and bedding that still have some use. A pair of sneakers and flip flops. A sleeping bag. Toothbrush, hair brush, hair ties, and basic toiletries stay out there. Same with pots, pans, and melamine dishes. When I'm heading out, I just pack food and clothes, hitch, and go. I'll make a stop at Fred Meyer on the way out of town if I need anything.

Part of the point of having the trailer is that it stays basically ready to go. An hour and a half, and I'm on the road.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I've read the comments that everyone posted on here, and I think everyone who stresses over this part has really "missed the boat", sort-of-say, and I feel for you all.

I guess our approach to RVing, Camping, Glamping, whatever you call it, is much bigger than just getting to the campsite, chilling out, and having fun.

The "thrill" of the entire experience begins the moment we decided to get a camper (actually, back then, it was a tent).

Instead of being a dreaded chore, purchasing, learning, and equipping the RV was... well... really ... a lot of fun! It was exciting and the anticipation was great!

Packing for the trip should be just as much "fun" and exciting and venturing off on that new hiking trail. It's part of the experience. Rather than dreading it, "embrace" it. With each item of clothing, each item of food, plan the visualize in your mind what you will do with each item. Anticipate the happy looks from others in your party when think about them putting on clean clothing, or sinking their teeth into a juicy watermellon. Packing should not be dreaded, it should be embraced, have fun doing it. Don't make it a chore.

Same is true for the actual "journey" there. Hitching and driving / towing, actually are my favorite parts of the "adventure". I thoroughly enjoy driving and towing and seeing things along the route. Once at the destination, the "journey" is over.

Once we arrive, there is the challenge of getting into the campsite, navigating backwards, setting up and finally stepping inside with the satisfaction, "We made it! Safely too!"

Oh the dreaded job of dumping the black and grey tank. No... not dreaded... it's part of IT. Make the best of it, embrace it. It's only as bad as you make it in your mind. If you think positive about this part of the camping experience, you'll find the satisfaction doing this job too. Make it enjoyable. When waiting in line at the dump station, go say hello to the folks in the rig behind you. You'll be amazed how much people love to talk about themselves.

And once home, there's always the job of maintenance on our RV's. This also should not be a "chore" or a painful job. Actually, it should give each of us a lot of pleasure. Think of it this way, we HAVE an RV to wash and maintain. Think of all the jealous people who have green-eyed envy at us. They want one, but are not willing to invest the time, effort, or money to upkeep and maintain one. Be grateful you have a good brain and can figure out how to fix and repair things yourself, or remodel, or upgrade, or change, or swap out yourself. Not everyone can do that. But we do! Then, when the job is done, we can have a certain element of satisfaction ... "I did that!" and be proud of it. This also adds to the joy and fun of the overall experience.

So, that's my words of philosophy for the day. As the Good Book say, "In all things, be content." Don't stress over the packing process. Instead embrace it ... and ... if you forget something ... well ... we've all done that ... you simply learn how to compromise, use your head, and either do without or substitute a work around solution. And even that is an enjoyable experience?

Flat tire? It's probably going to happen to 99.9% of us sooner or later if it hasn't happened already. Don't panic, reach in the refrigerator (first) get a cool drink, relax, say to your self, this will all be over with soon and we'll be on our way. And think yourself out of the wet paper bag. But, rather than stress over it, might as well have fun in the process. This actually happened to us this year, and rather than stressing, we laughed and joked and talked and have more fun waiting on Roadside assistance than we did at the campground the entire week.
Best advice I have heard. Thanks for reminding us.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
pasusan wrote:
It's not that simple. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. Food is my biggest problem - sometimes forgetting something important. We hardly ever camp anywhere near a store and I don't want to spend my camping time shopping anyway.

Way back when the kids were with us -- I will never forget the time I forgot the marshmallows for the fire...

I do plan meals and make lists, but even with that, last time I forgot butter. I had all the makings for grilled cheese, but no butter. Surprisingly mayo worked - no change in taste. :C

See, I'm just the opposite. Meals for me can be quite simple. A couple of hot dogs over the fire and a potato baked in the coals will suffice. If all else fails I can heat a can of something up on my campers stove. I have friends like you that are into large complicated meals but, that's not for me.

To each their own but, maybe changing your diet/food habits to make them simpler will make getting ready for camping easier for you.

I forget the butter a lot. I stuck on note in the camper so that I remember. That helps me a lot.

I don't consider grilled cheese a large complicated meal.

:B No I don't either. I don't have very good communication skills and that is not what I was trying to say.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Leaving stuff in the RV is great but not in northwestern IL. Anything freezable would between Nov and Apr.

I just leave the canned food, and other stuff that would get wrecked by freezing, in a tote in the cabinet under the sink of the camper. I carry the tote into the house during my fall winterizing.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Leaving stuff in the RV is great but not in northwestern IL. Anything freezable would between Nov and Apr.

on the flip side, after each trip we will pack back in our house all our condiment stuff & similar during the peak summer as we don't want to expose it to the heat. We just leave the bags in the house and bring them back out for the next trip. Off season we leave the bags in the basement so they are ready for the next season. :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
This has always affected me. I love camping, I would go full time if I could. But I always have trouble packing.

It's almost 9:30 am and I'm waiting for the kids to get out of school around 3. So far the extent of my prep is on Tuesday I put the sleeping bags in the popup and closed it all up before it rained. I haven't even considered food or shopping and no clothes are packed. Yes I'll get it done, but for some reason I always hate getting ready for the trip.

Does this happen to any of you?

Years ago when the kids were very young and when we had our 1st popup, I would have a "master list" of things needed, I would go off that. Most of the stuff would go directly in the back of my truck which had a cap. DW would handle the kids clothes, I would handle everything else. I honestly can't remember how long It took to pack but I think it went quick, having boys for kids probably made it easier as they were just happy to get out! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years back, I had a working trip scheduled. I was driving my clipper and staying on site. A week before, my engine blew. I decided to rent a MH for the trip. As I started making a list of all the things I needed to pull out of the clipper, I realized how much work I save by keeping gear loaded and ready to go. The list was massive and I am certain I was still missing things.

Fortunately, the weather caused the trip to be delayed. I went a few months later in the clipper. And I had everything I needed right at hand and it only took about 10 minutes to load groceries, meds, camera gear, and animals.

I won't have a camper if I can't keep it loaded.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it would be easier to just hitch the house to the Rv!!
We can't get our RV up our logn drive and turn it around so we will be pakign at a facility several miles away.
Loading it was an ordeal and we still forgot the kitchen sink.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
No problem at all. TT years ago, then a 5er, now an A coach. The only thing that gets moved in/out is food and heavier/warmer outerwear if needed. Cost vs convenience we opt for the convenience of having the RV already loaded/packed to go.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Dont forget the butter!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold