Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anybody else have trouble packing for camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anybody else have trouble packing for camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

None! I’m so excited about the upcoming trip.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only problem is moving it when my wife gets it loaded.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The more you camp the easier it gets. We leave most items in the camper. Each family member has a box for their clothing that they pack. Started when they were really young. I pack food and fire wood and go. All the kids help set up and clean up after camping. This is how we have always done it. Takes less than an hour. Sure we have forgotten things. Most importantly take a sense of humor and adventure

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was like that. Not only was getting it ready to go stressful, but unpacking when we got home was just as bad.

So we went fulltime. Everything is with me all the time now, so no stress there.

But we have 2 motorhomes. We bought a little one to take to Alaska and kept her. I have always outfitted my camping unit with EVERYTHING, including clothes. So all I have to put in at the last minute is food. This is all about to change as we have purchased a home where we can live year round. Still intend to travel, about 8 months out of the year. But the motorhomes will sit right outside my door, so at least it will be easy to access them.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

hondapro

Central Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

I've read the comments that everyone posted on here, and I think everyone who stresses over this part has really "missed the boat", sort-of-say, and I feel for you all.

I guess our approach to RVing, Camping, Glamping, whatever you call it, is much bigger than just getting to the campsite, chilling out, and having fun.

The "thrill" of the entire experience begins the moment we decided to get a camper (actually, back then, it was a tent).

Instead of being a dreaded chore, purchasing, learning, and equipping the RV was... well... really ... a lot of fun! It was exciting and the anticipation was great!

Packing for the trip should be just as much "fun" and exciting and venturing off on that new hiking trail. It's part of the experience. Rather than dreading it, "embrace" it. With each item of clothing, each item of food, plan the visualize in your mind what you will do with each item. Anticipate the happy looks from others in your party when think about them putting on clean clothing, or sinking their teeth into a juicy watermellon. Packing should not be dreaded, it should be embraced, have fun doing it. Don't make it a chore.

Same is true for the actual "journey" there. Hitching and driving / towing, actually are my favorite parts of the "adventure". I thoroughly enjoy driving and towing and seeing things along the route. Once at the destination, the "journey" is over.

Once we arrive, there is the challenge of getting into the campsite, navigating backwards, setting up and finally stepping inside with the satisfaction, "We made it! Safely too!"

Oh the dreaded job of dumping the black and grey tank. No... not dreaded... it's part of IT. Make the best of it, embrace it. It's only as bad as you make it in your mind. If you think positive about this part of the camping experience, you'll find the satisfaction doing this job too. Make it enjoyable. When waiting in line at the dump station, go say hello to the folks in the rig behind you. You'll be amazed how much people love to talk about themselves.

And once home, there's always the job of maintenance on our RV's. This also should not be a "chore" or a painful job. Actually, it should give each of us a lot of pleasure. Think of it this way, we HAVE an RV to wash and maintain. Think of all the jealous people who have green-eyed envy at us. They want one, but are not willing to invest the time, effort, or money to upkeep and maintain one. Be grateful you have a good brain and can figure out how to fix and repair things yourself, or remodel, or upgrade, or change, or swap out yourself. Not everyone can do that. But we do! Then, when the job is done, we can have a certain element of satisfaction ... "I did that!" and be proud of it. This also adds to the joy and fun of the overall experience.

So, that's my words of philosophy for the day. As the Good Book say, "In all things, be content." Don't stress over the packing process. Instead embrace it ... and ... if you forget something ... well ... we've all done that ... you simply learn how to compromise, use your head, and either do without or substitute a work around solution. And even that is an enjoyable experience?

Flat tire? It's probably going to happen to 99.9% of us sooner or later if it hasn't happened already. Don't panic, reach in the refrigerator (first) get a cool drink, relax, say to your self, this will all be over with soon and we'll be on our way. And think yourself out of the wet paper bag. But, rather than stress over it, might as well have fun in the process. This actually happened to us this year, and rather than stressing, we laughed and joked and talked and have more fun waiting on Roadside assistance than we did at the campground the entire week.

Great post Dutch
I sometimes stress over things that sometimes make parts of the trip not so enjoyable.
In the future I am going to try and follow your advice.

Steve
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel
2015 Springdale 311RE

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we don't need it at home, it stays in the camper, except food. I have 3 totes, 2 with dividers that work as shelves when standing in camper. Home from trip, any non-perishable that is open is put in home kitchen, and replaced with new sealed box. These totes are stored in the area of basement where we take cover from tornadoes. (Along with other camping gear that might be handy if the house left) When cleaning the pop-up before come home, we put on clean sheets. After laundry, they are stored in cooler.
I have no issue packing cloths, but wife just stuffs everything in a couple of bags.
The next trip will be a little harder to pack. Need to remember to load 5 dutch ovens out of garage to go with the 3 that stay in the camper.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always have a list, taped to the inside of a kitchen cabinet. It includes things to bring along; and also things to do to the house before we leave (depending on the length of the trip) So getting ready really doesn't require much thought anymore - just a matter of checking items off a list. And for the most part (if we forgot something) - it's not like we don't encounter WalMarts along the way.

brant_c

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an awesome wife and three wonderful girls.

It doesn't matter how much I prep. I could prep a month out and there is still four hours of $%^& to put in the [email protected]#$%^& camper the day of the trip!

2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. I do not make many lists. I just grab some stuff and go.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brant_c wrote:

I have an awesome wife and three wonderful girls.

It doesn't matter how much I prep. I could prep a month out and there is still four hours of $%^& to put in the [email protected]#$%^& camper the day of the trip!

Haha, preach it bro!
My definition of "make sure we are 100% ready to leave when I get home from work" is definitely different than my wife's although it's getting better. This applies to any trip, not just camping, lol. And yes there's typically 6 hands and 3 brains that should be available for the task!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anybody else have trouble packing for camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.