cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do your dogs/cats watch TV

dturm
Ours usually react to some sounds, but today for the first time Sasha was just staring watching and following the action!!

It was a movie on Bravo with Jennifer Lopez (Sasha has good taste :)). But this was a first for her. Kaylee doesn't react at all.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV
24 REPLIES 24

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should I be concerned? The Cat in Training, who watches tv a lot, just took my debit card from me...

Have there been any "as seen on tv" cat stuff???
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
My cat watches wildlife programs; especially those with dogs/wolves, and cats, big & small. He sat next to me on the sofa and watched all of the PBS "Urban Racoon." My dad's cat always watched Roller Derby with him. The only program my dog ever watched was one showing a Labrador Retriever training in a field.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
It's almost as if it is "painful" for the doggies to hear whatever it is they hear...

Ed and I were laughing a couple of days ago - puppy Augie was frantically squeaking a dog toy - then let out a LOUD and long howl. We figured he was hurting his own ears? Duh!

Something I took as a good sign - they were showing the fireworks after a NASCAR race, and Augie ran to the TV to watch that - seemed fascinated. Crossing my fingers he's not afraid of them next year near the 4th of July - living on a lake means we are subjected to them for weeks....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Bat-dog used to howl with one specific song, Since I Met You Baby. Billie Swan sings and Boots Randolph llays the sax. Bat-dog would howl along with the sax. Something about the tone just spoke to her. She still pays attention to the song, but doesn't get into a full singalong - just more of a humming along.

Dog-bird calls for his flock daily. The dogs will spend 10-15 minutes howling back their response. Every day.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting Topic because just as I was turning on the computer our Mini Schnauzer, Humphrie" started his whine/bark at a particular commercial that was on TV.

We have discovered that certain ad's and certain Music causes this reaction....The Barnes Injury Attorney is one such commercial But most notably is the "My Pillow" commercial. If I don't remember to mute the TV during these commercials, I'm in store for about 90 seconds of howling....the worst thing is Humphrie is teaching Georgie the same tactic. It's almost as if it is "painful" for the doggies to hear whatever it is they hear...so I do make it a point to remember the triggers which causes the hysteria.:)
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Our two cats like golf. The moving ball seems fascinating to them.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Inga will glance at the TV once in awhile if there is some sort of animal scene. She pays MUCH more attention to the sounds rather than the images. There are three main sounds that she always responds to, which are:
  1. At a "ding dong doorbell" sound, she will bark
  2. Emergency vehicle sirens she will start howling like a wolf
  3. Heaven forbid she hears bagpipes playing, because then she really loses it, and starts REALLY howling and will NOT stop unless I mute the TV.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Augie, my Aussie puppy, will watch TV if there are children playing or animals involved.

But my previous Aussie Ike, was a veteran TV-watcher. Would actually bark at Ed if he was channel-surfing and passed Animal Planet and didn't stop....LOL! He completely understood what was happening, and we had to avoid high-drama shows because something like a child being abducted would make him growl and threaten to attack the bad man on TV. And he knew every commercial that had a dog in it: his favorite was a Jeep commercial that featured a family out 4-wheeling, and when they get home, the Jeep would "shake off the mud". Ike would shake off the "thrown mud" - and then wait for the 2-second shot of the family dog exiting the car...LOL! He could be sound asleep - and hear the first opening notes of the music, jump to his feet, and watch that commercial!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
With all the dogs and cats I had growing up and now, none have ever been interested in the TV.

I actually thought people were just joking me about pets watching TV, until I saw YouTube videos of it.

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our two dogs (both at the rainbow bridge now) watched TV. Bliss the GS waited until Wheel of Fortune was on to bother me. I caught Alice several times watching TV. Nothing special, just sitting on the carpet watching. Once she was totally engrossed in what was on i called her name a couple times and she totally ignored me.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Lucie our small fur baby not only watches TV, she knows the commercials that have dogs or cats in them by the sound of the commercial jingles. When we watched Alvin she watched the entire show while either barking at the chipmunks or low growling. Lucky our big fur baby could care less.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
None of mine have ever been interested. However, I am on several Scottish Terrier FB groups and there are a lot of dog owners there that talk about their dogs enjoying TV and even have favorite shows. They post pictures of them watching. They really are mesmerized by it, but I don't know what exactly they are seeing.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only had one of our herd watch TV. It was a cat, and all she was interested in was other cats, big or small didn't matter to her. Once that program or story ended, she left.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Cat in Training loves to watch tv. His favorite is Nature - he loves watching the big cats hunt. Then he practices what he learned on The Cat. He watches regular "people" shows too. He also plays with shadows and light beams.

The Cat will watch for a moment or two, but isn't really into it.

Bat-dog used to watch when she was young. Moose-dog has never watched.

My Dog used to love to watch Wishbone and Frasier - she had a thing for jack russells. She watched other shows too, but those were her favorites. She and Moose-dog watched Balto all the way through. Never had a dog watch a cartoon before.

Every one of my dogs is required to watch the vampire dog episode of Forever Knight. They need to understand the meaning of loyalty... ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a prior cat who loved to watch baby kittens on tv.