cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water fill line leaking how do I access it?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Coach is a 2005 Fleetwood expedition 34H. I am in the process of winterizing and I was starting to fill the fresh water tank with RV antifreeze it is running out as fast as I put it in. The tank had water in it before I started with no leaks I can't tell where it is leaking it is above the frame and leaking down. How do you access the top of the water tank? Yes the drain valve is closed it is not coming from there.

I did this last year with no problem. I usually fill the fresh water tank with the fresh water hose in the bypass mode when I am using the coach normal operation. I am trying to put the antifreeze in with the fresh water port.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
17 REPLIES 17

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I am glad to have it fixed and winterized.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that you got it fixed, thanks for the update!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gundog,

Glad to hear it was a minor problem after all--and not a cracked tank!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Update I found where the hose came off, the fill port is on the drivers side but the hose runs all the way across to the other side there was access through one of the bins and sure enough the fill line was off of the tank.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't get to put much time in it yesterday but I did a few tests to confirm the leak was not coming from somewhere else. I connected my city water port to the hose and charged the system and got no leaks, I then bypassed the city water to fill the tank again no leaks I ran water for a few minutes filling the tank and then drained it.

I have confirmed the leak is from the port in the side of the RV. For now I am going to winterize it by disconnecting the inlet side of the pump and installing a hose from the suction side of the pump to the jug of RV antifreeze. This will get me winterized but I need to fix this issue I am afraid the fresh water tank may become contaminated driving down the road with this obvious leak in that hose.

I think I may have created this issue by filling the tank through the city water connection and leaving the other fill port cap on. When the tank filled the pressure may have blown the hose off or split the hose. When I fill the tank through the city water port I did it last without a regulator and I am on a well with pretty good pressure. I didn't think it would be a problem since I was just filling the tank but now I can see this may have caused this issue.

I am hoping I can figure out how to access the fitting to the tank without cutting a hole in my floor. I have been wanting to replace my floor but not for this reason.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I just always drained my FWT. then blow out the lines. worked for me about 14 years.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to look for my water pump today I think access to it is under the bed if I have easy access to it I will buy one of those valves for winterizing thanks for pointing that out I have owned many RV's over the years and never knew they had that product. This is why I like this site I learn new cool stuff all the time.

I learned about the battery watering kit on here and put that on man does that save time this product also looks like another big time saver.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
1st, why are you putting antifreeze in the FW tank? If the tank was full the antifreeze is running out the overflow/vent tube. Stop filling! If you don't have a pump winterizing kit buy one. $15.00. It's a t fitting, a valve and a 2' hose. it allows you to suck antifreeze out of the jug straight into the piping system using your water pump. It goes between the pump and the FW tank. should not take more than 3 gals.

I would buy that kit. My Winnebago came with that set up and it works great. No need to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. I actually winterized mine with 1 gallon this year but I ran another gallon through just to be safe.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Google Amazon Rv pump winterizing kit.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
Gundog wrote:
cavie wrote:
1st, why are you putting antifreeze in the FW tank? If the tank was full the antifreeze is running out the overflow/vent tube. Stop filling! If you don't have a pump winterizing kit buy one. $15.00. It's a t fitting, a valve and a 2' hose. it allows you to suck antifreeze out of the jug straight into the piping system using your water pump. It goes between the pump and the FW tank. should not take more than 3 gals.

My manual says to do it that way it worked last year. I have not heard of the kit you are talking about but I will look into it.

You don't fill the whole tank with antifreeze it has me drain the fresh water tank and the water heater then put 5 gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank the problem is the fill port is leaking somehow and it is leaking rather than going into the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P23506LFVP-Lead-Free-Converter/dp/B00HSNYWTW/ref=asc_df_B00HSNYWTW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111914138&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5275806065998520167&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1015178&hvtargid=pla-570111855509&psc=1
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
do you have a valve you turn from fill to city water? if so make sure you have it turned right

MrWizard
Are you sure the water tank is empty
If it was drained
The only way for the fill tube/hose to leak is for it to be clogged up, mud daubers or paper wasps or have a hole in it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Can you access the fresh water tank from inside the RV?

I am not sure I am going to look more tomorrow the tank sits between the frame rails I don't think there is any access short of cutting a hole in the floor. There is an access panel behind the toilet and I can see the flex tube where it comes through the outside wall but then it disappears into the area under the floor and it is not leaking in the section I can see.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can you access the fresh water tank from inside the RV?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.