Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommedations

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
After Thankgiving we will begin our trek from Florida to Arizona. What I'd like to know is if anyone has any places between the 2 or in Arizona that are things "not to miss". Sights to see, places to stay, nice campground, and also places to stay away from. This part of the country is fairly new for us so any opinions are welcome.
9 REPLIES 9

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Natchez ,Mississippi . Free three day stay at visitor center with water,elec.and dump ! The price is right , I wonder if ya can get a senior discount ?

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all, I will write all these suggestions down.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Caverns of Sonora near I-10 close to the town of Sonora. It is on a private ranch and has a small RV park. It is nothing fancy, but handy for seeing the caverns. They contain some pretty spectacular formations.

I would recommend Balmorhea State Park off I-10 in West Texas, but it is closed until Spring 2020 for renovation. It is the world's largest artesian spring fed swimming pool & open year round. Maybe on a later trip?

Also a short stop at the Texas Canyon Rest Area on I-10 near Willcox, AZ is worthwhile. You may already know about this. When we stopped there a couple of years ago, some folks in a small Class A were so excited about getting out and checking out the view that they forgot to set the parking brake in the rig. It rolled down the entrance ramp back to the highway and crashed into the ditch. They were being pulled out by a big wrecker and had a smashed windshield at a minimum.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
You didnโ€™t say where in FL youโ€™re starting, but the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, Gulf Shores, AL, New Orleans, Texas was mentioned but Iโ€™d add the Tx Hill Country, Carlsbad Caverns in NM, Bisbee, Az mine, Tombstone, AZ, Kitt Peak observatory outside Tucson, as well as Old Tucson western town.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Certainly the Space Center in Houston. On the assumption you are just making an I-10 run there will also be a whole lot of nothing!
Pensacola and the Destin area are spectacular.
New Orleans.
The Alamo
Kerrville, TX - Buckhorn RV resort if that stop works with your travels.
El Paso (NOT! Great place to bypass)
White Sands would not be much of a detour.
The Very Large (Antenna) Array in Socorro, NM is interesting if you like learning and you happen upon the right weekend.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Get off the Interstate Highways and travel the side roads whenever possible.
I like to use Roadside America when traveling. Maybe you can find something interesting along your route.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Big Bend National Park, if you haven't already. Wouldn't do Palo Duro after Thanksgiving, in fact you want to stay I-10 or south of it.

Coast Bend area (Corpus Christi), Goose Island State Park in Rockport. From there, get on US 50 and head west to Marathon, then dip south to Big Bend.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alamo in San Antonio TX for a historical stop and you will be surprised when you get a look at the place.

Palo Duro State Park south of Amarillo TX. Stay a couple nights and watch the dinner theater. This is on the I20 route.

Not a lot along I10 in TX, FT Stockton has an old cavalry fort that worth a couple hours.

New Mexico is loaded with National Parks along whichever interstate you take. On the I20 route there are a number of Indian Pueblos you can visit, the Taos Pueblo is quite interesting

Along I10 is Carlsbad Caverns an absolute must stop, it is the most spectacular cave in the National system.
Also White Sands is worth a few hours, it's best seen in the early morning or around sunset.
Gila Cliff Dwelling is something of a diversion north of the Interstate north west of Deming. Near Silver City is the City of Rocks State Park worth an over night stop.

We don't know where you are going in AZ so it's hard to make suggestions. Like NM it is loaded with interesting stops.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I found the Vicksberg National Military Park interesting. Visited twice over the years. Each state seems to have built a marble structure honoring their soldiers. Illinoisโ€™ was the largest as I recall.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad