Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Will any portable compressor handle 95 psi?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

 > Will any portable compressor handle 95 psi?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
PastorCharlie

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 11/24/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

Have had the 400prv for almost ten years. Still works great. Tops off 22.5" MH tires quickly. Light weight and easy to store. Can be kept in the trunk of you car

Our 400P-RV Automatic powerful portable tire inflator kit will inflate 275/80/22.5 tires from 80 to 90 psi in just 30 seconds. While the unit is intended for RV use, it can be used for virtually any tire since it comes with accessories for more varied inflating situations than any other portable compressor kit on the market today.

Portable compressors with automatic shutoff come into play when moving from tire to tire, and when checking tire pressure in the middle of a tire fill. A typical portable compressor must be turned off between tire fills, and anytime you want to check tire pressure. If you aren’t near the compressor, this can turn into running laps back and forth to the portable compressor to turn the unit on and off. Automatic portables do not work in this fashion and will save you time & effort to get tires inflated quickly.

Want to learn more about our RV Portable Tire Inflators?

Click Here

Please Note: The air hose supplied with this kit may become brittle from prolonged exposure to UV/sunlight. – Stow when not in use. Never allow the hose to come into contact with the head of the compressor during use (melting hazard). The use of the included air hose is not recommended in sub zero or freezing conditions. The 400P-RV does not work with Presta bicycle valves, unless used with a Presta Valve Adapter.

FEATURES
– Thermal Overload Protector
– Automatic Shut-Off Function
– Primary & Extension Air Hoses
– Vibration-Resistant Diamond-Plate Sand Tray
– Heat Shielded Quick Connect Coupling
– Gas Station-Style Tire Inflation Gun with 160 PSI Gauge
– Heavy Duty Dual Battery Clamps with Inline Fuse
– 45-Degree Extended Reach Chuck (For Dual Rear Wheels)
– 90-Degree Twist-On Chuck
– Heavy Duty Deluxe Carry Bag
– 3 pc. Inflation Tips Kit
SPECIFICATIONS
– 12-Volt
– Permanent Magnetic Motor
– Duty Cycle: 33% @ 100 PSI
– Max. Working Pressure: 150 PSI
– Max. Amp Draw: 30 Amps
– Ingress Protection Rating: IP54
– Dimensions: 10.87?L x 5.83?W x 7.48?H
– Net Weight: 10.75 lbs.
– Power Cord Length: 8 ft.
– Primary Air Hose Length: 30 ft.
– Extension Air Hose Length: 30 ft.
PERFORMANCE DATA
PSI CFM A BAR LPM A
0 2.30 17 0 65.1 17
10 2.13 19 1.0 58.4 20
20 1.98 21 2.0 53.0 23
30 1.86 23 3.0 48.5 24
40 1.75 24 4.0 44.2 26
50 1.64 25 5.0 40.2 27
60 1.54 26 6.0 37.0 28
70 1.44 27 7.0 33.3 29
80 1.37 27 8.0 30.1 28
90 1.28 28 9.0 27.0 28
100 1.19 29 10.0 22.1 27
110 1.11 29
120 1.04 28
130 0.95 28
140 0.85 27
150 0.71 27
* Supply Voltage: 13.8 Volts

FILL RATES
31? X 10.5? FILL RATE
0 to 30 PSI 3 min. 00 sec. (± 10 sec.)
15 to 30 PSI 1 min. 35 sec. (± 05 sec.)
33? X 12.5? FILL RATE
0 to 30 PSI 4 min. 20 sec. (± 10 sec.)
15 to 30 PSI 2 min. 05 sec. (± 05 sec.)
35? X 12.5? FILL RATE
0 to 30 PSI 5 min. 20 sec. (± 15 sec.)
15 to 30 PSI 2 min. 45 sec. (± 05 sec.)
RV TIRES 275/80R22.5 FILL RATE
80 to 90 PSI 30 sec. (± 05 sec.)
90 to 110 PSI 3 min. 50 sec. (± 10 sec.)
110 to 130 PSI 4 min. 37 sec. (± 10 sec.)



According to your figures your compressor only supplies 1.8 CFM @ 90 PSI. I never purchase anything with that low CFM. To inflate a 22.5 tire to 100 PSI would require a considerable amount of time as the CFM drops to 1.19 @ 100 PSI and 1.11 @ 110 PSI.

MrWizard

Traveling

Moderator

Joined: 06/27/2004

View Profile



Posted: 11/24/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Imo the plastic coil house with all the visit viair , master flow, etc portables is junk

Soon after I got the compressor

I tossed the hose in the round file, removed the fitting from the compressor head

Tapped the hole, to asme air fitting
And the been using normal regular design
American air hoses and fitting ever since

Is The auto feature on the viair rv, in the air chuck/fill gun at the end of the hose,

Should be able to put one on any air hose from any compressor

Or is there a pressure control on the compressor

* This post was edited 11/27/19 05:44am by MrWizard *


Radiate The Happy
....

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s


et2

MI.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/31/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/24/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

et2 wrote:

Have had the 400prv for almost ten years. Still works great. Tops off 22.5" MH tires quickly. Light weight and easy to store. Can be kept in the trunk of you car

Our 400P-RV Automatic powerful portable tire inflator kit will inflate 275/80/22.5 tires from 80 to 90 psi in just 30 seconds. While the unit is intended for RV use, it can be used for virtually any tire since it comes with accessories for more varied inflating situations than any other portable compressor kit on the market today.

Portable compressors with automatic shutoff come into play when moving from tire to tire, and when checking tire pressure in the middle of a tire fill. A typical portable compressor must be turned off between tire fills, and anytime you want to check tire pressure. If you aren’t near the compressor, this can turn into running laps back and forth to the portable compressor to turn the unit on and off. Automatic portables do not work in this fashion and will save you time & effort to get tires inflated quickly.

Want to learn more about our RV Portable Tire Inflators?

Click Here

Please Note: The air hose supplied with this kit may become brittle from prolonged exposure to UV/sunlight. – Stow when not in use. Never allow the hose to come into contact with the head of the compressor during use (melting hazard). The use of the included air hose is not recommended in sub zero or freezing conditions. The 400P-RV does not work with Presta bicycle valves, unless used with a Presta Valve Adapter.

FEATURES
– Thermal Overload Protector
– Automatic Shut-Off Function
– Primary & Extension Air Hoses
– Vibration-Resistant Diamond-Plate Sand Tray
– Heat Shielded Quick Connect Coupling
– Gas Station-Style Tire Inflation Gun with 160 PSI Gauge
– Heavy Duty Dual Battery Clamps with Inline Fuse
– 45-Degree Extended Reach Chuck (For Dual Rear Wheels)
– 90-Degree Twist-On Chuck
– Heavy Duty Deluxe Carry Bag
– 3 pc. Inflation Tips Kit
SPECIFICATIONS
– 12-Volt
– Permanent Magnetic Motor
– Duty Cycle: 33% @ 100 PSI
– Max. Working Pressure: 150 PSI
– Max. Amp Draw: 30 Amps
– Ingress Protection Rating: IP54
– Dimensions: 10.87?L x 5.83?W x 7.48?H
– Net Weight: 10.75 lbs.
– Power Cord Length: 8 ft.
– Primary Air Hose Length: 30 ft.
– Extension Air Hose Length: 30 ft.
PERFORMANCE DATA
PSI CFM A BAR LPM A
0 2.30 17 0 65.1 17
10 2.13 19 1.0 58.4 20
20 1.98 21 2.0 53.0 23
30 1.86 23 3.0 48.5 24
40 1.75 24 4.0 44.2 26
50 1.64 25 5.0 40.2 27
60 1.54 26 6.0 37.0 28
70 1.44 27 7.0 33.3 29
80 1.37 27 8.0 30.1 28
90 1.28 28 9.0 27.0 28
100 1.19 29 10.0 22.1 27
110 1.11 29
120 1.04 28
130 0.95 28
140 0.85 27
150 0.71 27
* Supply Voltage: 13.8 Volts

FILL RATES
31? X 10.5? FILL RATE
0 to 30 PSI 3 min. 00 sec. (± 10 sec.)
15 to 30 PSI 1 min. 35 sec. (± 05 sec.)
33? X 12.5? FILL RATE
0 to 30 PSI 4 min. 20 sec. (± 10 sec.)
15 to 30 PSI 2 min. 05 sec. (± 05 sec.)
35? X 12.5? FILL RATE
0 to 30 PSI 5 min. 20 sec. (± 15 sec.)
15 to 30 PSI 2 min. 45 sec. (± 05 sec.)
RV TIRES 275/80R22.5 FILL RATE
80 to 90 PSI 30 sec. (± 05 sec.)
90 to 110 PSI 3 min. 50 sec. (± 10 sec.)
110 to 130 PSI 4 min. 37 sec. (± 10 sec.)



According to your figures your compressor only supplies 1.8 CFM @ 90 PSI. I never purchase anything with that low CFM. To inflate a 22.5 tire to 100 PSI would require a considerable amount of time as the CFM drops to 1.19 @ 100 PSI and 1.11 @ 110 PSI.


Not my figures - manufactures. 99.99 % of people most likely aren't filling a 22.5 tire. They're topping it off. Its a Matter of about 1 minute or less. I've never adjusted more than 5 lbs.

It never has nor never will be used to fill a tire from empty. That's what road service is for if it's that bad. But ... If needed to ... It would do it.

The top off times are noted above as well for 10-20lbs. My tires are never that far off.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

Moderator

Joined: 06/01/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/24/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

MrWizard wrote:

That you, always nice to learn something helpful

I've been using a 12v master flow tsunami 1050 for almost 10 yrs and three RV's, it did well with my gasser for topping up, but was not the right tool for the 22.5 tires on the DP
Some day I will replace it with a 120v portable


PastorCharlie wrote:

MrWizard wrote:

2.5 CFM at 90# seems to me more like a shop compressor
Than a portable unit, that is the size to carry in an RV

Going to need about 2hp to produce that flow rate at 90#

Please post any links to this compressor



https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-3-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor/1000258241


CLICKY for kobalt at lowes


I'm concerned about that Kobalt - we already have enough scams. [emoticon] From the description;

class leading 2.8 scam at 90psi

As far as the $40.00 one from Harbor Freight, I bought one of those for my Mom, if you have all day it might be OK but its pretty darn slow even for a car tire.


I have been carrying one for years in my coach and it does find for my 22.5 tires and my air tools, etc. Never had a problem with it and am currently using it to operate my nail gun shooting 3" nails without any problems. Without a good CFM plan to spend all day to air up large tires...volume is what is needed not just PSI.


You obviously missed the scarcaism. Go back and read the bold, found in the description.

And yes, SCFM is key. Pressure without SCFM is pretty useless, like the $40.00 Harbor Freight compressor mentioned. Ok for a car tire, useless for an RV tire. BTW part of my real job happens to be selling air compressors. [emoticon]


There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910


Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/17/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/25/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything small & portable would be a good RV compressor as long as it has a high enough PSI rating. Most of us will never have to find out how long it might take to fill a 22.5" from flat.


Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 2014 Ford Edge
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone



Bruce Brown

Northern NY

Moderator

Joined: 06/01/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/26/19 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a DP normally there is an air fitting or manifold space to add one within the on-board air system. I added a fitting to ours, fortunately I've never needed to use it...yet.

* This post was edited 11/26/19 07:12am by Bruce Brown *

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/28/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the purpose of a portable compressor used just to top off tire pressure from time to time? Is it to be used to fix a flat on the side if the road? For me I would rather top of the tires at a Flying J when I get gas if I ever needed to. That was once in 15 years before I got a home compressor. Once in 15 years and 100k miles of travel I picked up a large screw when crossing back into the US from Canada. I could have called road service but had a cheap plug kit and 12v compressor from HF the $5.99 version not the $40 one. I removed the screw plugged the hole, inflated the tire to 60 psi drove 5 miles to a gas station then topped the tire off to 90 psi. Yes the 12v compressor got hot and died several years later and the plug repair lasted several years before replacing all 6 tires. I know everyone thinks differently but for me I never saw a need to carry a pancake compressor in my travels.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Online
Posted: 11/28/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Is the purpose of a portable compressor used just to top off tire pressure from time to time? Is it to be used to fix a flat on the side if the road? For me I would rather top of the tires at a Flying J when I get gas if I ever needed to. That was once in 15 years before I got a home compressor. Once in 15 years and 100k miles of travel I picked up a large screw when crossing back into the US from Canada. I could have called road service but had a cheap plug kit and 12v compressor from HF the $5.99 version not the $40 one. I removed the screw plugged the hole, inflated the tire to 60 psi drove 5 miles to a gas station then topped the tire off to 90 psi. Yes the 12v compressor got hot and died several years later and the plug repair lasted several years before replacing all 6 tires. I know everyone thinks differently but for me I never saw a need to carry a pancake compressor in my travels.


It sounds to me like you did have the need for one! Even once in 15 years it would've paid for itself.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/28/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Viair is good and if you want the big boy look at Oasis air compressors.
aircompressors.oasismfg.com


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/29/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Gjac wrote:

Is the purpose of a portable compressor used just to top off tire pressure from time to time? Is it to be used to fix a flat on the side if the road? For me I would rather top of the tires at a Flying J when I get gas if I ever needed to. That was once in 15 years before I got a home compressor. Once in 15 years and 100k miles of travel I picked up a large screw when crossing back into the US from Canada. I could have called road service but had a cheap plug kit and 12v compressor from HF the $5.99 version not the $40 one. I removed the screw plugged the hole, inflated the tire to 60 psi drove 5 miles to a gas station then topped the tire off to 90 psi. Yes the 12v compressor got hot and died several years later and the plug repair lasted several years before replacing all 6 tires. I know everyone thinks differently but for me I never saw a need to carry a pancake compressor in my travels.


It sounds to me like you did have the need for one! Even once in 15 years it would've paid for itself.
What I tried to describe is alternative ways to add air to your tires while on the road that worked for me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

 > Will any portable compressor handle 95 psi?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.