cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jump starting the generator

cwenger
Explorer
Explorer
I stored my 2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador in Florida for 6 months while at home in Maryland. Needless to say, with the generator not having run for 6 months, neither the generator nor the engine would crank. After considerable hassle jump starting the chassis batteries, I finally got the engine started.

Next time after 6 months storage, I am wondering if I could jump start the generator instead of the engine. Could I keep both the house and chassis battery disconnect switches off and jump start the generator? Then if, and after, the generator is running, switch the disconnect switches on without screwing up anything?
13 REPLIES 13

cwenger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I plan to replace the chassis batteries and then trickle charge the new batteries with a solar charger while in storage.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my coach, the generator is powered by the house batteries but if they are low, I can use the chassis batteries, via the "boost" switch, to start the generator. Naturally this means that the chassis batteries must have enough left in them to power the boost relay.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
cwenger wrote:
I am wondering if I could jump start the generator instead of the engine.

Done it. Now your millage may vary

On my ONAN there is a big red capped bolt that says +12 on the left side "Front" .. That's where the Red lead goes from the jump pack.

The black lead goes to the chassis

Now do the start thing.. keep the battery connected for at least one minute after VAROOM (The fuel pump is a 12 volt device)

Turn off everything inside, if you have not already. first.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
If you have access to 120 voltage I would connect the batteries to a battery trickle charger/ maintainer. If you don't the solar panel chargers sound good. If you don't do either then by all means unhook the negative terminal. If the batteries have been in an uncharged state for any length of time they are probably shot and w need to be replaced.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

MrWizard
Disconnect batteries negative cables for storage

Start generator first

Use portable battery charger on weak chassis battery , power it from RV outlet powered by generator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
The batteries have loads that cannot be switched off which kills the batteries over time. Fully charge the batteries then remove the negative battery cables when storing. Mark and take pictures first. In 6 months the batteries should start the engine or gen w/o a issue.

I'd start the gen first and let it run for a hour assuming the charger charges both banks.

Also, the gen may not direct charge and trickle charge will not charge a depleted battery. With gen running it will still take up to 30 minute, with the boost/crossover switch engaged, to bring the chassis up to a state that it will start your engine.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have the batteries load tested as they may be very weak.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The batteries have loads that cannot be switched off which kills the batteries over time. Fully charge the batteries then remove the negative battery cables when storing. Mark and take pictures first. In 6 months the batteries should start the engine or gen w/o a issue.

I'd start the gen first and let it run for a hour assuming the charger charges both banks.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

cwenger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the solar panel suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The generator takes a LOT less amps to start than the main engine.

BUT, by allowing your batteries to go dead, you are materially shortening their life.

Consider a couple of solar panels if stored outdoors or shore power if indoors (with smart charger or "work around" if just a "not smart" converter.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

cwenger
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not sure my generator gets its cranking power from the chassis battery. With the house battery disconnect switch off and the chassis battery disconnect switch on, there is no power to the generator.

The reason for having the disconnect switches off, is that it took about ยฝ hour to jump charge the chassis batteries before the engine would start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why donโ€™t you maintain your batteries with a small solar system? Are your batteries toast?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Could you have started the genny first and then the engine? Would that have been any easier? They both draw from the same chassis battery so jumping would be the same. Don't know why switches are involved in the jumping process.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.