Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Jump starting the generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Jump starting the generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
cwenger

Arnold, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stored my 2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador in Florida for 6 months while at home in Maryland. Needless to say, with the generator not having run for 6 months, neither the generator nor the engine would crank. After considerable hassle jump starting the chassis batteries, I finally got the engine started.

Next time after 6 months storage, I am wondering if I could jump start the generator instead of the engine. Could I keep both the house and chassis battery disconnect switches off and jump start the generator? Then if, and after, the generator is running, switch the disconnect switches on without screwing up anything?

rockylarson

Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you have started the genny first and then the engine? Would that have been any easier? They both draw from the same chassis battery so jumping would be the same. Don't know why switches are involved in the jumping process.

Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 25 refuges with 8000 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don’t you maintain your batteries with a small solar system? Are your batteries toast?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

cwenger

Arnold, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not sure my generator gets its cranking power from the chassis battery. With the house battery disconnect switch off and the chassis battery disconnect switch on, there is no power to the generator.

The reason for having the disconnect switches off, is that it took about ½ hour to jump charge the chassis batteries before the engine would start.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The generator takes a LOT less amps to start than the main engine.

BUT, by allowing your batteries to go dead, you are materially shortening their life.

Consider a couple of solar panels if stored outdoors or shore power if indoors (with smart charger or "work around" if just a "not smart" converter.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

cwenger

Arnold, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the solar panel suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The batteries have loads that cannot be switched off which kills the batteries over time. Fully charge the batteries then remove the negative battery cables when storing. Mark and take pictures first. In 6 months the batteries should start the engine or gen w/o a issue.

I'd start the gen first and let it run for a hour assuming the charger charges both banks.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have the batteries load tested as they may be very weak.

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

The batteries have loads that cannot be switched off which kills the batteries over time. Fully charge the batteries then remove the negative battery cables when storing. Mark and take pictures first. In 6 months the batteries should start the engine or gen w/o a issue.

I'd start the gen first and let it run for a hour assuming the charger charges both banks.

Also, the gen may not direct charge and trickle charge will not charge a depleted battery. With gen running it will still take up to 30 minute, with the boost/crossover switch engaged, to bring the chassis up to a state that it will start your engine.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnect batteries negative cables for storage

Start generator first

Use portable battery charger on weak chassis battery , power it from RV outlet powered by generator

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Jump starting the generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.