Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Step upgrade for my Arctic Fox
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Step upgrade for my Arctic Fox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A while back I decided it was time to upgrade to some "real" steps for my 2010 AF 811.

I was using a little fold up step, plus the single OEM step that hangs below the bumper. I still remember slipping and falling, then landing on my back at Stovepipe Wells in April of 2011 and slicing open my knee.

My first upgrade was to remove the original step and attach a set of Torklift Glow steps the the original step brackets on the bumper.
That worked good, but I needed to remove the steps when traveling since there was no way to secure them in place.

Glowstep Installation

A few months later I discovered the Stow-n-go bracket, so I installed it.

Stow-n-Go bracket installation

A while after the bracket upgrade, then I added another step.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx for the video DB. I enjoy seeing other peoples exploits into the DIY arena of RV ownership.
This forum would be boring without content like this.

Scott

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

swines

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/19 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your video is extremely useful. I added TorkLift Glowsteps to my 20 year old Bigfoot after installing a rear platform in place of the original bumper. Nice to see a different approach to adding camper steps. Thanks for the video.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We installed the Stow'n go and Landing Gear this summer on our Northstar. Night and day difference.

@Deltabravo: In your video, it looks like your glowsteps need a lot of force to extend. If you have not done that before, you might try some oil or WD40 or something at _all_ the joints (I know, they are many). It makes the stairs much easier to retract and extend.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife prefers that kind of step and I like the flip down step that came attached to my Lance bumper..We will see who wins out on steps..

Good video!

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper8251 wrote:

DB thanks for the great video and write up!

Just noticed you have on ORV 23DBS. How long have you had it?
I've been ORV shopping for a while now.

PS.. Since this is my thread, I will proceed to derail it further off the tracks [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 12:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just watched both videos. Nicely done, very informative. I have similar steps but don't use them due to interference issues with my slide out deck. The videos are both a year old, have you made any refinements to the original installation? Take care.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

have you made any refinements to the original installation? Take care.

I haven't refined it since the original installation other than adding a 4th step. The drawback to having 4 steps is the bottom step hangs kind of low when stowed, which is a concern with always towing trailer. The 4th step also doesn't get secured with the rubber snubbers. The snubbers are on the 3rd step.

Most of the time I totally pull the steps off when traveling, but a few times this year I left them on and used a bungee to keep the 4th step tight against the others. I wrapped the bungee around all the steps.

I haven't looked to see if I could move the pins that the snubber attach to from the third step to the 4th.... until right now as I am typing this, I hadn't considered it before.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although the pins can mounted to any of the stairs, ideally they should be the stair closet to the snubber. With the stairs collasped and snubbed, there is no way for steps bellow the pin to droop, so there is no reason to move the pin to the lowest step. BTW: The Stow N' Go can be used for 3-6 steps, so your application using four steps should work at long as you clear your hitch.

[image]

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Than again, why support publicity stunt for poor design, when good designs are already on the forum.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Step upgrade for my Arctic Fox
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.