Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Step upgrade for my Arctic Fox
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Step upgrade for my Arctic Fox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The instructions explicitly state that the pins be mounted to the third step.

Since someone brought up the age of the video: Now I know why it looked so familiar! It was the one I watched before installing our Stow 'n go. I found it very useful - Thank You!

For installation or repair assembly/disassembly jobs, youtube videos have become a great tool.

Our installation is a bit different than yours. The bracket is mounted below the door and held by the lower rear wall wood beam. I did not really trust the wood to carry the weight, so we added some reinforcement angle aluminum in the back. It was a (relaxed) full day job for my wife and myself.

In the first step, we used 3M double sided adhesive tape to secure the bracket against the back of the camper. Then drilled holes etc. The tape also serves as a sealant between the Stow 'n go and the camper back.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on my third set of GlowSteps and always reminisce how it feels like playing with an Erector Set from my youth. The fact that all the pieces are bolted together and can be reconfigured make them easy to fit different applications.

[image]

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, Erector set is a good analogy. They do lend themselves to re-configuring to your specific needs/wants. There are a few threads on installs.
Ours are also tread mounted flush to bumper instead of from arms. That does require moving the pin that goes into 'Stow N Go' bracket below the 3rd tread.

[image]
Ours the bottom tread can open/hang down a bit. Shown is max, cant really hang any further. If that inch could cause problems simple lanyard from top/bottom tread at the side. I had more issue with how far the landing gear leg hung down in stored position so reworked so they rotate up and do not hang down below steps.

Stock location, forces snubber see are fairly static, only pulling step into bracket. The snubber could be remounted above bracket slot, move pin it goes over to bottom tread. That would help pull/keep treads together-however snubber would see some additional load, resisting treads opening, going down the road? Don't know if that possible movement would be enough to fatigue rubber.

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

Ours are also tread mounted flush to bumper instead of from arms.

I originally tried mounting the 4 step to the top, flush with the bumper. It worked, but I had the top step partially overlapping the second step, so that was no good. I didn't remove/arrange all the arms correctly to get it like yours, when I added the step to the top, in place of the mounting arms.

Seeing your photo make me want to reattempt the flush mount. Sounds like a good winter project.

I really would like a mini-porch for better footing, instead of stepping out of the camper and having to turn sideways with my foot/ankle as I step down, so my entire foot is on the bumper.

Thanks for all the usefully tips and pics from all the positive replies.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

I had more issue with how far the landing gear leg hung down in stored position so reworked so they rotate up and do not hang down below steps.

I remounted my feet like yours too. With the feet mounted in front of the steps, I kept catching my foot on the square vertical tube when exiting the steps, since I step off them at an angle since I always have a trailer hooked up.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if the Stow 'N Go can have additional steps mounted above the top hinge to span the basement height with one or two more steps when expanded ... just a thought. I preferred to have the step off the threshold rather than that transistion.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys have some pretty fancy steps.

I'm using a milk crate. LOL

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

I wonder if the Stow 'N Go can have additional steps mounted above the top hinge to span the basement height with one or two more steps when expanded ... just a thought. I preferred to have the step off the threshold rather than that transistion.

Interesting- Mechanically you could, steps would fold. Could only go one step above Stow 'N Go pivot due to available depth..So 1/2 step height shy of being flush to threshold or where your at now (unless bumper to threshold= step rise, unlikely). Probably need to play with mounting pivots but the issue would be top step would need support somehow, at least I think, a few ways that could be done easily though.
[image]

We use T/Ls basement step but having that transition step part of the scissor steps in one unit, sounds like a marketable product.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've also been thinking about how to use the stairs (when not mounted) as a standalone step stool that could be moved anywhere around the truck or camper.

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Get a Torklift Basement Camper Step - A7510.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Step upgrade for my Arctic Fox
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.