cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVND 7710 GPS No More Maps

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Well, got a rude surprise today. I have a 7 year old Rand McNally GPS model RVND 7710. Got a popup msg that my maps were out-of-date and realized I hadn't received a new map file in a couple years. I do have the "Lifetime Subscription" for maps that I paid extra for when I purchased the unit.

Talking to RM tech support I found the 7710 is no longer supported and there will be NO future map updates for the model.

Very irritating. Paid for "Lifetime" and unit is only 7 years old. Can almost see not getting any more OS updates, but how hard could it be to post map updates when (for now) they are still posting them for the later models?

Anyways, just FYI and a head's up on both the Rand McNally units and their idea of support.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly
12 REPLIES 12

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, RVND support is non existent. Had problems with mine losing the turn by turn instructions. After contacting RM several times, in many formats, I have given up. Spent nearly $400 and it seems RM just wants more. That is what they want me to do now, which is buy another unit. NOT GOING TO DO IT. I also reminded them, I will talk anyone considering one, out of buying one if I can, hopefully, you do the same.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

Bedlam
Garmin can use OpenStreetMap for updated maps. Perhaps your RVND can import these types of updates?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/about

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got the lifetime sub on my Garmin which covers any Garmin model I might have. So far, I'm still using my old Nuvi 265 that I don't know how old it is, but it's OLD... Battery does not hold a charge anymore, but it does what I need it to do when I need it.

If I get another Garmin, I can just "add new device" to my Garmin Express and it'll update under the same lifetime sub. Think I paid around $100 for it way back when.. I just updated it yesterday. Pretty cool deal.

I use Rand McNally road maps and Atlas for my backup and love them for that.

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your post. I am still getting updates regularly on my 12 year old Garmin and will be sure to not purchspase RM.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure I've got one of those pieces of junk around somewhere. After using it and using an app on my android phone, I can't figure out how they sell anything or even remain in business. The app on the phone is so much more intuitive, easy to use and less expensive it's no contest for me. And that's besides the fact the brightness of the screen on GPS keeps going back to completely washed out instead of the higher contrast setting I keep resetting it to.

In general, GPS makers need to get their act together if they're ever going to sell me another one.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Did you read the thousands of words of legalese before clicking that "I AGREE" button. You can be sure it's in there somewhere, it always is.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Any guarantee or warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it. Sad to hear that RM is like that. Thanks for the info, I wont be buying anything from them.

1 other thing- when a company stops honoring what they promised in long term service, it may be a clue that they are in financial trouble. I have seen this twice where the company went bankrupt within a year.

oh, and whatever you and I think a word means after the fact, the warranty/guarantee is a legal enforceable document and the words therein mean whatever the legal/common usage of the time is. It DOES NOT mean product lifetime unless it says product lifetime. You don't get to add words after the fact.
(and no im not suggesting this is worth pursuing in court like come crankster is going to post)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
In computer years that's like trying to get service on a 1949 Dodge.
It hurts but it is what it is.

Exactly. "Lifetime" means "until our newer tech is no longer backward compatible".
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
In computer years that's like trying to get service on a 1949 Dodge.
It hurts but it is what it is.

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Bud, I do still get the construction updates. However, my map database hasn't updated in a while. It's on version 4151031. Doing a "reset" makes no difference.

Here's what I got from Rand... info on the map update and how to get rid of the "out of date" message.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Rand McNally.

Unfortunately, we no longer support this unit and no map updates will be provided in the future.

Please complete the following steps to resolve the Maps Over a Year Old error on the device. You will need a computer, the device, and a cable with which to connect the device to the computer. If at any point you lose your way, or would like help, please don't hesitate to call us. You will need an internet connection when you call.

1. Plug in the TND device > close the Dock program
2. Open File Manager > TND Device > Navi > Bin
3. Locate the file named "navi.cfg" and right click on the file > Delete
4. Unplug the TND Device and use a paperclip/earring/etc to press the pinhole reset on the back of the unit.
5. Test for the issue after the unit restarts from the reset.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you pushed the "reset"?
Then download updates.
I have had good luck with my 7710. Do updates regularly.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's pretty normal, "Lifetime Guaranty" is usually for the life of the product, and guess who decides when the life of the product ends? Lifetime is rarely, very very rarely your lifetime.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"