cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about downsizing to a B

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been watching you tube videos and reading lots of forums and here is my list of things I’d like in a B. Older model with low mileage, dry bath, shorter in length like the Pursuit, no slide, not on a Ford chassis. I’m so confused so i decided to ask you experts! Does the Sprinter MB meet these requirements?

We currently have a 2006 32 ft. Gulfstream Ultra towing a Jeep (shown below) which we will keep for longer trips when we will camp somewhere for a month or two. There are many times I’d like to have a no hassle, jump in and go kind of short trip and hubby won’t go because of the hassle. If I can find what I’m looking for, I can go by myself. Can anyone help a girl out???
David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.
25 REPLIES 25

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!!! I will check them out.

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Our first Class B (2006) was made by Sportsmobile in Texas. They allow you to design a floor plan based on a wide variety of units that they routinely make so you can get whatever you need that fits in the available space. Their prices were also quite reasonable so you might want to check them out.
Advanced RV Sprinter

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, the hunt continues.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought I would jump in here and mention that I have always found NADA to be almost completely useless at pricing Class B units. LTV units especially are known for keeping their value because of the quality construction.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thank you all for the responses and awesome information. It’s exactly what I was hoping to find out. Patience isn’t a problem for me as we already have our 32 ft RV to use now and for as long as we need to as we search for our B.

karlstream
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2015 LTV SS about 18 months ago from a private party for a tad over $81k. We had to travel from the Pacific NW to northern California to get it. I also found when looking that most prices for the SS were around the $95k to $100k range and dealers especially were reluctant to lower their price. I did notice that occasionally one would appear, usually a 2013 around $83 to $85k, but not very often. My main point is, you'll probably do better dealing with a private party and you have to be patient. And you may have to travel to find the right deal.

As you are aware, the LTV SS was built only three years so there aren't that many around. I've noticed the Winnebago Era 70C series with the slide seems to be more available and sells at a more competitive price. But it's built on the longer 24 foot chassis and I wanted the shorter mid size chassis, and in my opinion, the Era doesn't have the build quality of the Leisure Travel.

The 2015 has some nice upgrades over the earlier models, like a bigger fridge, 6 volt golf cart batteries and additional storage over the driving cabin. I think it's the most desirable model. But again, it's just my opinion.

I think the SS is a good choice for those looking for a lot of big rig features built into the foot print of a van. We've used our SS quite a bit since we acquired it and it has worked out well for us.

Good luck in your search.

karl

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rvtrader.com/Leisure-Travel-Free-Spirit/rvs-for-sale?make=Leisure%20Travel%7C2280884&mod...

Here are 7 including several 2013's one of which is probably the one you looked at. They all seem to be high.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
David and Deb wrote:
I’m still looking and recently found a 2013 Leisure Van Freespirit ss for sale that has everything I want, including low mileage and a dry bath. BUT it’s priced at $90+K !! So I looked it up on NADA and it appears that is the new price? I’m not sure how to find out what the used price should be? Help!!

The Freespirit isn't made anymore, so they're rare. But still, that price is a bit to high. I think the original sticker price back in 2013 would have been around $120K. RV's aren't like houses that appreciate, or like cars that depreciate at a fairly slow rate. In general, after about 5 years an RV is only worth about 1/2 of what it cost new if it's in really good shape. My rule of thumb is to use depreciation figures of 15%, 10%, 10%, 5%, 5% for the first 5 years.

But as a Leisure Travel RV owner myself I can tell you most owners really prize them and most that I've seen offered for sale used are overpriced. Nice if the seller can get it though.

I'd suggest calling the PPL Motorhomes people in Houston and see if they can find you one or tell you what the going price for one of that age would sell for. They move a lot of RVs on consignment so they have a good idea of prices, and they're fair. At least I thought they were when I sold my previous RV thru them.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I see what you are saying. I looked up my Wrangler and the gave me the typical range of prices based on condition plus an allowance for low mileage. When I punched in my RV they gave me list price, low retail and average retail. The list price is what Winnebago had it listed for three years ago. I guess the low retail and average retail are the current price estimates, but I'm not sure.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
As I mentioned my question isn’t about the economics or supply and demand, it is literally how the NADA works. For example, I looked up my car, a 2006 Toyota Solara and it gave me the new price when it originally sold and the price is should be now that it is several years old. I know that’s an estimate and if everyone wants a Solara, the price will be higher. My question is, when I looked at the NADA for the Freespirit SS it only gave me the new price I think, but I’m not sure because it wasn’t structured lthe same as when I looked up my car. Is it different for RVs in that it doesn’t mention a 10-year old Winnebago cost $60,000 new and now 10 years later it should cost $30,000 for example?

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Given the current market where Class B units are in such abnormally high demand, I’m not at all sure that NADA prices can be relied upon to reflect the actual prices people are willing to pay. If being able to rely on NADA, as opposed to paying a price that fulfills your needs, is important to you, it might be advisable to step out of the market for a while until prices settle down and a third party opinion of worth is once again meaningful.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently learned about the Freespirit SS and found one the same week. My question about price is not the economics of supply and demand. I’m asking if the way he is looking at the NADA price is accurate. I apparently don’t understand the pricing there.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've been looking for 11 months and found one. That indicates the seller can ask what they want for it and probably get close to it at some point.

From reading the thread the dry bath is severely reducing the number of choices, perhaps consider a wet bath in a B or a truck camper w dry bath.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
I’m still looking and recently found a 2013 Leisure Van Freespirit ss for sale that has everything I want, including low mileage and a dry bath. BUT it’s priced at $90+K !! So I looked it up on NADA and it appears that is the new price? I’m not sure how to find out what the used price should be? Help!!