cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adj. water pressure regulators

dtgunner7
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone found a good adj. regulator. Looked at reviews on several makes me wonder if any are worth the extra money??
23 REPLIES 23

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Finding it interesting that many campgrounds have high water pressure. I'm used to them being woefully low pressure.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
I just use this on the hose end and shut the water off when we aren't there or are sleeping.

But not sure if that's the kind you are all talking about as I see some are hard plumbed into the rv.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Watts N55B years ago from either Lowes or Home Depot and still works fine, but is no longer made. It had both internal 3/4 inch pipe threads as well as external very sharp union threads. I added pipe nipples and tees with gages on both the inlet and outlet so I could monitor both the incoming and outgoing pressures.

I also added male and female garden hose adapters. I added j hooks to the trailer I beams so I could hang it and the water filter under the trailer and out of the sun. I also can connect into the near by cold water low point drain instead of the city water connection so there is no hose hanging on the side of the trailer.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:
We are "fill the tank and use the pump" people too. Back when we would live in the RV for months in one spot we used the city connection and a regulator but now it's more trouble than it's worth.

But the OP asked about adjustable regulators and I was wondering why people would adjust their regulators and not just leave it set at say 50 psi. And if you don't adjust it why not use a fixed one? My fixed one served me for many years.

Dave

The reason I like the adjustable is.> Well the one I have has the VOLUME to let me shower if I wish to shower indoors.

But when you buy a pre-set what is it set for.> I suspect 45 PSI. and add the word "About" With the adjustable I hit 50. period.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:

But the OP asked about adjustable regulators and I was wondering why people would adjust their regulators and not just leave it set at say 50 psi. And if you don't adjust it why not use a fixed one? My fixed one served me for many years.

You are correct, there should be no reason to adjust, the problem is that nearly all of the cylindrical fixed regulators are of poor quality and have poor performance.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok adjustable regulators fall into 3 groups I can rate 2 of them and pass on others comments on the 3rd

1: cylinders about 3/4 inch with hose fitting the male is part of the body the female is likely as well.. JUNK.. though they do work at LOW flow rates (I use one on a mister 1/2 gallon per hour) no good at all if you shower.

2: Valterra Adjustable I have heard good things

Watts or Zurin.. The link is NOT the one you want but the design is the same, Mine are 3/4 inch with threaded fittings and a hose adapter on each. NEW they are a "Solid 10" on a scale of 10. ZERO flow to Shower and toilet and the needle on a pressure gauge looks to be painted in place (Mine is set to 50 PSI)

As they age it's kind of like the old joke about Bo. Derek9-8-7-6 ) but you can get rebuild kits and replace the worn parts to put it back up to 10.

Alas my link to a Watts valve did not work.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We are "fill the tank and use the pump" people too. Back when we would live in the RV for months in one spot we used the city connection and a regulator but now it's more trouble than it's worth.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
When using the FW tank the pump can be turned off when not in use. Good idea and easier than going out and turning city water supply off.
I am one who has drank the "kool aid" and gone with the Watts 263A with oil filled meter. One of the best improvements we have made.
I still turn the city water supply off when we leave the campsite for the day.
We drank the "kool aid" too. And then we graduated to only using the tank and pump. Much easier to turn the pump off when leaving rather than remembering to turn the water supply spigot off.

One time our cat turned on the bathroom faucet accidentally while hooked up to the spigot. Could have been a disaster if we weren't there and turned it off. We have a sign over the door that says "WATER OFF!" to remember to switch off the pump when we leave.

When we got our Watts I don't remember the choice of an oil filled gauge. Ours came with a regular gauge and it did freeze up and break one winter. Got a new gauge - set the pressure - removed the gauge and installed a plug.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use one called Renator M11. Great quality brass with oil filled gauge. Got it on Amazon.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
263A here. I rebuild and clean mine with CLR every couple of years. Bad lime buildup on my home base site. Full time use since 2010 and still works great.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am told the valterra adjustable is good
I used a Watts 3/4 Inch adjustable for some time It now needs a rebuld
I also have a ZURIN.. 3/4" they are nearly identical in design with a bell shaped upper housing . the bolt that would mount a bell to the yoke (or handle on a hand bell) is the pressure adjustment.

Testing on the new zurin I set it to 50 PSI. Static. then turned on the shower full flow and the needle on the pressure gauge.... Did not even wiggle.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
When using the FW tank the pump can be turned off when not in use. Good idea and easier than going out and turning city water supply off.
I am one who has drank the "kool aid" and gone with the Watts 263A with oil filled meter. One of the best improvements we have made.
I still turn the city water supply off when we leave the campsite for the day.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
Safer to fill the fresh water tank and use the pump.

Interested in the theory behind this..... and if freshwater hookups are inherently risky, why theyโ€™ve been a feature on millions of RVs for decades.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ependydad wrote:
Another Watts user, bought from http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com.

Same here, QUALITY lifetime product. Most of the others are simply Chinese junk!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD