cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bathroom vent cover repair

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
So I looked up from inside the bathroom in my Forest River Wildwood 27 RKSS and saw a crack in the plastic cover of the vent. It turns out the entire perimeter of the cover was disintegrated, and over the weekend it just fell off. The frame, raise and lower mechanism, and screen are intact.

Is there a replacement part that is just the plastic cover, or do I have to replace the entire mechanism, hinge, frame, and screen?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
11 REPLIES 11

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:

If you haven't done this before Here is a short video that will help you.

The work is done. The video was really helpful, thanks. The hardest part was knowing for sure which seal and which replacement cover to buy.

I can't believe how flimsy the stuff is. 25 cents more plastic would beef up the cross section and make the lid much more stable. Hard to believe cost cutting on the vent lid is that vital.

Great I am happy to help and am glad that it all worked out

The cheapness of the regular vent covers is the main reason I opted to buy the Polycarbonate Vent Lids They are beefier and a lot more tougher. Mine are 9 years old and still look like new.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

The work is done. The video was really helpful, thanks. The hardest part was knowing for sure which seal and which replacement cover to buy.

I can't believe how flimsy the stuff is. 25 cents more plastic would beef up the cross section and make the lid much more stable. Hard to believe cost cutting on the vent lid is that vital.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
i always use a vent cover over my roof vents. An insurance adjuster I talked to referred to them as a "hail guard". Makes sense to me.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your cargo trailer most likely has a Polycarbonate lid. The RV mfg put the cheapest ones on that they can.

I replaced all of mine with the Polycarbonate ones 9 years ago and they look like new. They have a limited lifetime guarantee.

But I also covered them with the Maxx Air vent covers,they have the longest warranty of all on the market today.
Buying A Rental Class C

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cargo trailer and the lid is solid, very old, and not deteriorating. My RV is 3 years old and the lid is like a potato chip - thin, fragile, and in multiple pieces.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
When I replaced an old broken vent cap about 10 years ago, I first painted the new plastic cap with a Krylon product which was supposed to prevent UV damage. I used several coats of it. The vent cap is still up there doing its job just fine.

Here's a link to the current Krylon product which sounds the most like what I used: https://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant-clear-coating/
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there are several types. Last time I did it, I bought one of each. Installed the right one and returned the others.
The Max air covers are the way to go, as you have found, the skylight go from being fine to disintegrating in short order.. Maxairs can save your bacon.

On my first TT, I replaced it with a metal one.
That will last forever, but it won't let any light in.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
first see what type vent lid you have using this

Most new ones have the Ventline

You may need a new seal that goes on the metal edge this will make it a tight seal This what you need

Replace like this
Buying A Rental Class C

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes:

E-Trailer vent selection
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. It's an easy repair. I believe there are two basic designs and you have to figure out which yours is before replacing. If you haven't already, that's a great reason for installing a maxxair fan cover. They don't break down from the elements like the vent covers do. It saved my bacon when my vent cover disintegrated in the middle of the winter one year. I can't imagine how much snow/water would have ended up in my trailer.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
removed