cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgraded F150 tires to E

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably nothing to most of you... but i put new tires on the F150 and went with Michelin Defender LTX, which comes in both D & E, I chose the E. I don't recall what tire the truck had, somebody had suggested it was B range... but IDK.

I'm only towing a 5k trailer, but what a difference this tire upgrade made. Used to be if a semi blew past me at 10 over my speed, or a full size truck at 20 over my speed (65mph), I'd feel a little wiggle. NOTHING, NADA, now! There's also less bounce with and without the load leveling bars.

Without a trailer, the tires are slightly noisier, and slightly rougher ride.

We're doing a big trip soon, and while the old tires with 50k miles on them still had lots of wear left, I didn't want to tow the trailer a long distance and possibly in snow with those tires.
17 REPLIES 17

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Philh

Consider treating your new tires with 303. I purchase it by the gallon and use it on anything rubber/synthetic/etc.

DO NOT use it on your seat, you'll slide all over the place...even when seat belted

Even have my tire mechanic spray it on the insides and outsides of all new tires. Let them sit for a few days, then mount them

Great and been using it for decades after finding out how Armorall works (yuk) from the N Cal Michelin rep. Ditto warning from the Bridgestone rep. They won't warranty any tire that has had ArmorAll treatment. This back in the 90's...wonder if they still have that policy...

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/?fwp_applications=tire-care

https://www.amazon.com/303-30320-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B00L4TF32G/ref=asc_df_B00L4TF32G/?...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
One weighs more, costs more, has thicker cords, etc... why?

Nothing wrong with either and recommend following your OEM TV's information, recommendations....just note that going to a different spec, you are re-engineering and must do your own homework

Suggest reading the information on the below link that is written in non-techie language

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/311494/lt-or-p-metric-tires-for-light-trucksuv-applications
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Of course there will be naysayers for upgrading to LT tires from P or XL on a 1/2 ton.
Some reasons valid, like it's absolutely not necessary if you're hauling within the limits of the current tires.
Others pure conjecture, like ride quality. Stiffness of the tire and how it affects ride is about 99% the amount of pressure in the tire and 1% the load rating of the tire. Apples to apples size and tire model of course. Sure sidewalls are a bit stiffer, lower the psi a bit from what you were running in the light duty tires = same ride.
Loss of mileage is pure bs, apples to apples. If anything fuel mileage would go up a shade, but is likely indiscernable either way. Generally harder tread compound and that all encompassing "stiffer sidewall" makes for a tire that rolls easier. Regardless, tracking fuel mileage down to the penny and taking it for more than what it's worth, which is a good approximation only "if" you're tracking very accurately and attempting to account for every varied condition.
Example, been checking mileage and tracking on the odometer on one vehicle we have becasue the gas gauge is suspect. Been around 14-14.5mpg. Last tank, I filled, and checked was just over 15mpg. No surprise, except that the vehicle had slightly taller, slightly wider and considerably more aggressive tread than previously. And they're LT tires vs the Ps that were on it. Explanation? Nope. Seems it varies unless you're doing a carefully controlled test even though the vehicle was doing the same duty in general.
The advantage though, unless you're again, calculating $/mile of tire life down to the penny, is tire life. A lot of LT tires have greater tread depth than their P or XL rated versions of the same tire model and the tread compound is a little harder, which equals longer tire life.
Is it as much longer as the cost difference? Yes, no , maybe. Do you run your tires to exactly 3/32 and change them regardless of weather, driving conditions, Big O having a sale, etc? Probably not, but the fact that they last longer cannot be debated.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Most likely the same but get your truck weighed loaded and unloaded to get the best performance out of that great upgrade!

What am I looking for to set tire pressure?

Search your tire size and load range โ€œinflation chartโ€. Every one has one.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Find the tire load inflation table you like...or go with what someone says that you like our want to hear

Here are a few

https://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck_en_us/assets/pdf/load-and-inflation.pdf

http://www.yournexttire.com/trailer-load-inflation-chart/

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

These are just guides and applies to the center of the bell curve of users
-Ben Picture of my rig

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Most likely the same but get your truck weighed loaded and unloaded to get the best performance out of that great upgrade!

What am I looking for to set tire pressure?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
babock wrote:
philh wrote:
Currently at max tire sticker, 35 psi. I'll go ahead and boost before our long trip.
Your tire sticker only applies to the OEM tire.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've went with a D or E tires on a couple of 1/2 ton trucks....but always went back to P tires mainly because of higher costs and loss of mpgs. I never saw any better tow/hauling/handling advantages over the OEM P tires with a 44 psi or 51 psi ratings.
Now years ago passenger tires were rated up to 32 psi so a LT C was a good choice.

I use the wifes '16 1500 chevy 4wd crew cab short bed pulling a 10k car hauler (8820-9460 lbs on the trailers axles) with blue tractor/loader/BB with a cab.... 11' 10" tall. No issues at all with the 17" OEM P tires 31.2" diameter at 44 psi even in 35-38 mph side winds.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I went from "P"s to "E"s on y '12 F150. Big difference, they took all the squirm and wriggle out.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, My 2014 F-150 came with load range "C" LT tires. Door sticker says to run 40 lbs front and rear. Max cold pressure for these tires is 50 lbs. When towing my trailer I leave my front tires at 40 lbs. and raise my rear tires pressure to 50 lbs. Works perfect. No need to go to "E"s.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

babock
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Currently at max tire sticker, 35 psi. I'll go ahead and boost before our long trip.
Your tire sticker only applies to the OEM tire.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Donโ€™t be a bonehead and run full 80psi. Weigh loaded and unloaded. Use weight inflation chart for your tires. Add 5 psi to rear and 10 to fronts.

You will get best ride, tread wear and stopping.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Donโ€™t be a bonehead and run full 80psi. Weigh loaded and unloaded. Use weight inflation chart for your tires. Add 5 psi to rear and 10 to fronts.

You will get best ride, tread wear and stopping.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you noticed the difference

Not just weight carry rating, but stronger/stiffer/etc sidewall and the rest of the carcass

Only part of the reason class "P" tires used on trucks, RMA recommends (require) a min 9% de-rating of the sidewall molded ratings

The rest of the suspension also matters. Like wheel ratings...off-set, PSI & Weight. If course, the tire OEM recommended rim width range (bead to bead)

Finally, PSI requirements are different between these 2 classes if tires for equivalent weights

When going next class higher, also note that the tire PSI sensors may NOT be rated for the PSI's required
-Ben Picture of my rig