cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter camping

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
First time winter camping. I have a heated water line but not sure if I hook up to fresh water inlet or on board tank . I have 2013 coachman class a. It has a heated under belly.
9 REPLIES 9

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replays.showers are way to short being hooked up to hydrant

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Odd, I full time and on my 2nd NH winter. Heated Hose works just fine connected to a winter faucet (Lift Type) thats heat taped.

Running rigid PVC to sewer connection.
Supplemental heat in wet bay
Never a problem last winter and expect the same this winter.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Fill up your fresh water tank disconnect and drain all hoses. Use the water pump for water.

I agree and have been doing it this way since 2010 full time. It is much easier than figuring out how to keep the water line or faucet from freezing. I leave my hose outside, disconnected from both ends on a slope so it drains. I can then fill my fresh water tank back up when needed even if it is still below freezing. Assuming the water faucet is the pull up handle type where the valve is underground.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Unless the hydrant is heated, it will freeze if a hose is connected.

Yep!
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
And the lift up handle "freeze-proof" faucets I see in many colder weather parks will freeze if a hose is left connected to them with the faucet handle lifted. Unless they're heat taped as well of course...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the hydrant is heated, it will freeze if a hose is connected.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a commercial heated water hose (assuming that's what you mean by water line) you likely don't need to disconnect the water line assuming you keep it plugged in but that will depend upon how the campground water system is setup. It's certainly not necessary to keep the hose hooked up but that's what that hose is designed for. Check with the campground and verify your plan and their setup so no one has issues.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I concur.
Fill the tank and drain the hose.
If you should leave water in the hose, you may end up with an X feet long iron bar to deal with. The even worse case is that you do manage to bend it and it breaks.

Matt We used to do a lot of cold weather camping.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fill up your fresh water tank disconnect and drain all hoses. Use the water pump for water.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper