Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: WiFi Hot Spot App
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> WiFi Hot Spot App

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote here for FoxFi or PDAnet. I used it successfully for quite a long time on my Samsung S4. Now use the built in on my S8+ when travelling or up in the northern Michigan woods.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The old Galaxy SIII we just retired had native hotspot capability, so it may be a carrier restriction that requires you to use third party applications. If you are trying to keep your phone lean and clean, you may want to look if you can unlock it from the original carrier and get that native feature enabled.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didnt think Foxfi worked anymore - at least not for me. If I open the app it says 'This app was built for an older version of android - check for updates' and when I do there are no updates. I either use my hotpsot on the phone or Easy Tether Pro if hooking it to the laptop

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Foxfi and PDAnet won't work on my phone either, but I think if you're using an older phone that doesn't have the latest, greatest Android, you'd be good. It/they were awesome back in the day.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had very poor luck with Fox-Fi..
But my T-mobile pones Samsung s-3 5 and 7 all had hot spot apps.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Samsung S-5 with Verizon, and Foxfi works for me
I used it last night, when att was not so good
I still have an old unlimited data plan where he data is for the phone and not Wi-Fi, Hot spotting is an extra charge, so I need foxfi for this plan

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an S5 on T-Mobile for years, loved that phone. It had hotspot capability. Have you done a search in settings?.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes it has wifi hotspot

little mis-understanding here

its the vzw plan i have that forces me to use foxfi or to change my plan

i have an 'OLD' grandfathered Unlimited data plan, NO slow down, No GB limit, No prioritizing

but tethering & hot spotting were NEVER allowed on that plan, that plan is so old, wifi hotspot option did not exist then, only the ability to 'tether' with a USB cable, got that plan when i had a 'feature phone' (now they call them dumb phones, but they are not dumb} with basic mobile internet browser
{i'v been using mobile cellular internet since it was a dialup option that used 'minutes' not mega/giga bytes}
{i had 300 daytime minutes and unlimited nighttime and weekend minutes}

without foxfi, vzw would charge me for every megabyte of data used by my PC or tablet, using data connection from the phone

i would change my plan, but no one has convinced me i can equal use for less dollars per month

* This post was edited 12/03/19 10:54pm by MrWizard *

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. This phone does not have the tethering/hot spot icon. A year after I bought it, 4 years ago, I went looking for it and couldn't find it. Went back to Wal-Mart and was told that it was omitted by Straight Talk and the only way it might be restored is by doing a "factory restart". I just let it go. Now I'm planning an extended trip this Summer/Fall and the availability of a hot spot would be real handy. I might just have to buy a new phone and switch to one of the extended data plans Straight Talk, or another carrier offers. Get these holidays behind me and really zero in on this.

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e
Just right for the two of us!

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If doing a factory reset will restore it, I would just do that. Just back up your photos and anything else you have on the phone first.

Maybe make a list of your apps, because that phone might be old enough that it doesn't automatically restore your apps after a reset. You may have to go to Google Play and reinstall them individually by hand, the way you did when you first got them. I don't recall, from when I had the S5, whether it was automatic or not.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> WiFi Hot Spot App
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.