cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Major storm predicted for OR/CA border area

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
High winds through out the area, heavy rain on the coast, snow in the mountains (such as the I5 pass) - Tues and Wed Nov 26-27

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/11/a-bomb-cyclone-will-hit-southern-oregon.html

https wrote:
An even stronger storm is expected to develop over the eastern Pacific and
reach the West Coast by Tuesday night. This low pressure system will
likely undergo bombogenesis (pressure drop of at least 24mb in 24 hours)
from Monday night to Tuesday night, at which point it could become a 980
mb low with hurricane force winds offshore! It should reach land near the
California/Oregon border early Tuesday night and then begin to gradually
weaken as it moves inland. The mountains of southern Oregon and northern
California are likely to get hammered with blizzard conditions, and
battering surf and high winds for coastal areas. Winter storm watches and
warnings are already in effect for many of these areas, and the cold
nature of the event will result in lower than usual snow levels.
Pre-Thanksgiving travel in this region could be severely affected, and
local forecast offices have additional information pertaining to this.
16 REPLIES 16

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
StarkNaked wrote:
Latest weather report from Brookings,OR - 40 MPH winds, gusting to 65 MPH.

Snowing hard on I-5 Pass in the Siskiyous.

Fun, fun, fun!

Cape Blanco near Port Orford Oregon had a 106 mph wind gust Tuesday.
J herb

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the road cam at the Oregeon Siskiyous chainup area is a truck parking lot.

In Washington, a lot of the lower eastern passes are snowy, and US97/Blewett Summit is closed with stuck trucks and snow clearing operations.

For the same period, Minnesota got up to 10 inches, with some 600 crashes or spinouts.

Reminds me of one post-Thanksgiving years ago, when I skated across Wisconsin, when returning to Chicago from Mpls. The car was a simple SUV, Trooper II, with lots of tread on the tires. But for the icy conditions it was more a matter of driving slow and steady with a gentle touch on the gas (and even more so on the brakes).

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
StarkNaked wrote:

Fun, fun, fun!

Well I5 is now closed between Ashland,OR and Yreka,CA
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.khq.com/news/all-lanes-of-i--reopen-following-crashes-involving-/article_e58af494-109b-1...

Multiple spin outs and crashes on I90 just west of Spokane this afternoon (50-100 vehicles). It's blamed on sudden snow (not deep) producing slick conditions.

https wrote:
More than half an inch of snow fell within 25 minutes, causing very slick conditions Tuesday in parts of Spokane, the National Weather Service office in Spokane said.

More on that band of snow that caused the Spokane bedlam.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-spokane-megacar-crash-up-snow-and.html

He warns of a potentially similar situation Sunday in the Portland area.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II

Fun, fun, fun!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
mockturtle wrote:
Got to love when they call for snowmagedon and it doesn't happen! I was in NYC about four years ago when they predicted a snowmagedon event. The mayor shut down the city and maybe an inch or two fell!

Lived in Seattle most of my life and 'an inch or two' on the Seattle freeways means havoc for the commute. Trust me.

Oh yeah, 2" of snow in Seattle will have people abandoning their cars in the middle of the roads and cleaning out grocery stores.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Weather guys in Portland are saying that the mountain passes are going to get snow today and it's likely that snow may hit valley floors in Eugene and south. If your traveling through the passes make sure you have chains and if your traveling through Southern Oregon then allow additional time. Have safe Happy Thanksgiving!
Kevin

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Three feet plus predicted for the Sierra.
Bad time to travel.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Got to love when they call for snowmagedon and it doesn't happen! I was in NYC about four years ago when they predicted a snowmagedon event. The mayor shut down the city and maybe an inch or two fell!

Lived in Seattle most of my life and 'an inch or two' on the Seattle freeways means havoc for the commute. Trust me.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Just saw one on King that said snow level "0 feet" on weds but they don't think there will be much accumulation.
Those are the ones that end up being snowmagedon.

I am sure in the weather room at the local news stations, they use darts or dice to decide what to report and just hope it is right!

Got to love when they call for snowmagedon and it doesn't happen! I was in NYC about four years ago when they predicted a snowmagedon event. The mayor shut down the city and maybe an inch or two fell! :S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, interesting, storm predicted for the California/Oregon state line area and all the chatter is from people in Northern Washington.;)

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, just heard thunder and hail; a couple of weeks ago there was a brief but intense storm on the convergence zone along the King/Snohomish county line. Thunder is rare in Seattle, but twice in November?

Topography has a big effect on weather, especially precipitation, around Seattle. Not just how high you are, but whether there are mountains up or down wind from you.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just saw one on King that said snow level "0 feet" on weds but they don't think there will be much accumulation.
Those are the ones that end up being snowmagedon.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
While previous forecasts had a chance of rain/snow midweek, the current one looks clearer. Cool but no precip until Sunday. Puget Sound snow needs the right mix of cold and moisture. Without the moisture it will just be cold. With the moisture it could be either, depending how just where and high the freezing line is.

I just got back from a short bike ride in a chance of showers. I misread the movement of the dark clouds.