cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin GPS

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My gps is several years old now and I would like to get a new one. I would like a 7" screen with internal wifi for automatic map updates. I would also like one with visual and voice commands that state the correct lane to be in when turning or exiting.

I prefer Garmin and have read many reviews, but most units have mixed reviews.I'm hoping for recommendations on which one a lot you RVers have and how well you like them.
I don't need one with a dash cam but I wouldn't mind having a unit with one if all the other functions are good. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
46 REPLIES 46

Adiabatman
Explorer
Explorer
Pops wrote:
Don't mean to hijack, but while talking GPS, notice the info on campgrounds list Nat, State, and Private campgrounds. Does the info on the 770 or 780 on campgrounds near your route also include Nat Forest, COE, or/and BLM campgrounds?

The 780 (and the Overlander) includes the Ultimate Public Campgrounds database which provides info on all federal, state, county and municipal campgrounds.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotpepperkid wrote:
Weldon wrote:
Use your phone for best directions.

That only works if you have phone service

This is completely incorrect. It's been debunked hundreds of times. Even if you don't download the maps ahead of time as recommended, you will still have perfect turn-by-turn directions unless you are without cellular service for hundreds of miles. The mapping service downloads your upcoming course as it becomes available and rarely (ever?) are you going to be without cellular service for extended periods of time.
No, you won't get live traffic updates if you are without cell service (phone service) but the point to point directions will still be perfect. GPS does not require ANY kind of cellular (phone) service.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
Weldon wrote:

Or you can download everything before you start, then you'll still have it when you lose cell service.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Weldon wrote:

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
I'm a old school, paper map kind of guy. I do use google maps to plan my route, but like it was on paper. And I like my Garmin to basically read signs before I can see them. But one thing I hate is when I want to compare the route I have picked to the one Garmin wants to use is Garmin always lists the local street name, not the state or federal highway highway numbers?

Google frequently does the same thing with street names. It's annoying.

I too keep my map books handy for when the GPS either loses touch with the mothership, or just screws up.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
With Here WeGo + Google Maps you can do away witn your Garmin, for free.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a old school, paper map kind of guy. I do use google maps to plan my route, but like it was on paper. And I like my Garmin to basically read signs before I can see them. But one thing I hate is when I want to compare the route I have picked to the one Garmin wants to use is Garmin always lists the local street name, not the state or federal highway highway numbers?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Jennifer Koper wrote:
I have had a Garmin for at least around 10 decades.

Now that's funny! So I guess I've been using my Google Maps for at least around 1000 years! My 7" Garmin lives under the couch as it can't compete with Google and WAZE.

I use both neither are 100% foolproof.They are both capable of being lost. I have experienced both malfunctioning.
Google is generally more efficient and more up to date. However that efficiency can lead me down some pretty narrow streets or around some tight turns Not an issue for most but as RV'ers going down tight and narrow roads can be problematic.
Garmin may take you the longer way there however it will keep you on the main roads and larger streets which is generally preferable when towing a large RV.
I prefer the Garmin when pulling the RV. I understand its routing may not be the most efficient,but I prefer wider roads vs. a more direct path on smaller/narrower roads
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jennifer Koper wrote:
I have had a Garmin for at least around 10 decades.

Now that's funny! So I guess I've been using my Google Maps for at least around 1000 years! My 7" Garmin lives under the couch as it can't compete with Google and WAZE.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
WAFlowers wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
WAFlowers wrote:
And what would you suggest for people that frequently go where there is no cell reception or other internet connection which Google Maps requires?

Um, Google Maps.
If you know you will have poor reception, it will let you download the area you will be traveling through. Kind of like updating a gps.

Yes, I'm aware of that and have a number of downloaded maps. That will show me the roads and where I am but without any internet connection you can't start a routing or re-route.

I really like Google Maps but it isn't a complete solution.

I know it will let you plan and start a route without any data connection, but I do not know about rerouting. I like the Garmin feature of showing the lane you need to be in, but Maps will tell you which lane to be in.

I need to look at some of the new units that have been mentioned here. I do like buying new gps units. ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
WAFlowers wrote:
And what would you suggest for people that frequently go where there is no cell reception or other internet connection which Google Maps requires?

Um, Google Maps.
If you know you will have poor reception, it will let you download the area you will be traveling through. Kind of like updating a gps.

Yes, I'm aware of that and have a number of downloaded maps. That will show me the roads and where I am but without any internet connection you can't start a routing or re-route.

I really like Google Maps but it isn't a complete solution.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Garmin for at least around 10 decades. I got my second one regarding a year and a half ago. I had a difficulty with the newer unit. The socket piece for the ball & socket joint of the windshield mount broke and didn't hold the unit strongly. I estimated to have to buy a new one, and searched the Garmin website. I couldn't find it!

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
I just updated to a Garmin DriveSmart 61 and was amazed at how much better it is than Google maps. The interface is more intuitive, the directions given are better - "turn left at the next light", it tells you which lane to be in and there's often a picture of what the next turn looks like. Google maps works, but it's not even close to how slick and useful the Garmin is.
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
WAFlowers wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
That's why I suggest that those who want a large display buy a 7" - 10" tablet and use that with Google Maps.

Um, Google Maps.

I like Garmin products very much, and have a gps in both our vehicles, two for hiking, as well as one on my wrist. That being said, while traveling, Google Maps has always been up to date. It has even asked me if I want to download maps in a poor coverage area.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L