Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Garmin GPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Garmin GPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's why I suggest that those who want a large display buy a 7" - 10" tablet and use that with Google Maps.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Pops

Boone, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks,vermilye

2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

WAFlowers

Clearwater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

That's why I suggest that those who want a large display buy a 7" - 10" tablet and use that with Google Maps.

And what would you suggest for people that frequently go where there is no cell reception or other internet connection which Google Maps requires?

Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WAFlowers wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

And what would you suggest for people that frequently go where there is no cell reception or other internet connection which Google Maps requires?

Um, Google Maps.
If you know you will have poor reception, it will let you download the area you will be traveling through. Kind of like updating a gps.

I like Garmin products very much, and have a gps in both our vehicles, two for hiking, as well as one on my wrist. That being said, while traveling, Google Maps has always been up to date. It has even asked me if I want to download maps in a poor coverage area.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

bdosborn

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just updated to a Garmin DriveSmart 61 and was amazed at how much better it is than Google maps. The interface is more intuitive, the directions given are better - "turn left at the next light", it tells you which lane to be in and there's often a picture of what the next turn looks like. Google maps works, but it's not even close to how slick and useful the Garmin is.

2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

Jennifer Koper

494 Norman Street

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a Garmin for at least around 10 decades. I got my second one regarding a year and a half ago. I had a difficulty with the newer unit. The socket piece for the ball & socket joint of the windshield mount broke and didn't hold the unit strongly. I estimated to have to buy a new one, and searched the Garmin website. I couldn't find it!

WAFlowers

Clearwater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

WAFlowers wrote:

Um, Google Maps.
If you know you will have poor reception, it will let you download the area you will be traveling through. Kind of like updating a gps.

Yes, I'm aware of that and have a number of downloaded maps. That will show me the roads and where I am but without any internet connection you can't start a routing or re-route.

I really like Google Maps but it isn't a complete solution.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WAFlowers wrote:

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

WAFlowers wrote:

Um, Google Maps.

Yes, I'm aware of that and have a number of downloaded maps. That will show me the roads and where I am but without any internet connection you can't start a routing or re-route.

I really like Google Maps but it isn't a complete solution.

I know it will let you plan and start a route without any data connection, but I do not know about rerouting. I like the Garmin feature of showing the lane you need to be in, but Maps will tell you which lane to be in.

I need to look at some of the new units that have been mentioned here. I do like buying new gps units. [emoticon]

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jennifer Koper wrote:

I have had a Garmin for at least around 10 decades.

Now that's funny! So I guess I've been using my Google Maps for at least around 1000 years! My 7" Garmin lives under the couch as it can't compete with Google and WAZE.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Jennifer Koper wrote:

I have had a Garmin for at least around 10 decades.

Now that's funny! So I guess I've been using my Google Maps for at least around 1000 years! My 7" Garmin lives under the couch as it can't compete with Google and WAZE.

I use both neither are 100% foolproof.They are both capable of being lost. I have experienced both malfunctioning.
Google is generally more efficient and more up to date. However that efficiency can lead me down some pretty narrow streets or around some tight turns Not an issue for most but as RV'ers going down tight and narrow roads can be problematic.
Garmin may take you the longer way there however it will keep you on the main roads and larger streets which is generally preferable when towing a large RV.
I prefer the Garmin when pulling the RV. I understand its routing may not be the most efficient,but I prefer wider roads vs. a more direct path on smaller/narrower roads

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Garmin GPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.