Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Maryland to Washington State -- best routes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Maryland to Washington State -- best routes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
bigdon68

Churchville, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are beginning to plan a WEST Coast trip for 2020 to see our son and daughter-in-law in Washington State.

We are in Maryland and would like to take the NORTHERN Route out to Washington State and then return via the Southern Route.

If anyone has any ideas about routes, time of the year (weather), your help would be appreciated.

bigdon68

2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2016 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If weather is a concern, then go west in the Spring using the southern route and return in the summer using the northern rout. It is **** hot in the south in the summer and snows in the Rocky mountains in the north in the Spring.

Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea. I first made that drive in 1969 in a 1957 Chevy. I would take the PA turnpike to Chicago. Take interstates until you get to South Dakota. Then you can start wandering on smaller highways.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a hurry or plenty of time? You don't say. If in a hurry let the GPS figure it out. Got time? Go up the MI. LP & take Hwy #2 all the way. Nice ride. Not much traffic & changing scenery. Coming back slow? Get on hwy 50 & follow it all the way back to Ocean City if you want to. Finding your way onto hwy 36, The Pony Express, is another good highway of mostly not much traffic & mostly good road.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigdon68 wrote:

We are beginning to plan a WEST Coast trip for 2020 to see our son and daughter-in-law in Washington State.

We are in Maryland and would like to take the NORTHERN Route out to Washington State and then return via the Southern Route.

If anyone has any ideas about routes, time of the year (weather), your help would be appreciated.

bigdon68

Well you have a pretty Opened ended question here!

How Long? When - winter - spring - summer - fall????

Would you be touring on the way out?

How far do you normally drive each Day?

Have you been to the Rockies and the SouthWest before?

What do you enjoy?

Are you Boondockers or FHU only?

Give us some ideas so we are not just shooting into the Dark.

JMHO,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to know what your time frame is, when are you leaving east coast and how long you are planning for the trip.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just follow Google map direction and stop on the national, state and country campsites along the way (assuming you are traveling using your RV and that's the reason you are asking that here).

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would take I 70 to I-74 then pick up Rt 36 through Missouri. Then I-29 to Rt 6 into Nebraska. Then I-80 to I-25 to I-90.Been on all the roads and they are all good.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avoid Chicago. Unless there's something you want to see or you really enjoy sitting in traffic, don't go near the city.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were headed that way 2 summers ago. We went up to the UP of Michigan and took US2 across. The plan was to get to Puget Sound but we ran out of time and shortened the goal to Glacier NP. Then that caught fire and we gave up and headed south.

We left August 1st because we were warned to be out of the Rockies after September (weather). This last summer, that same route at the same time would have put us in snow. Go figger.

US2 is good double two road lane most of the way, with the worse section being in Michigan. It's not interstate so the road goes through towns where the speed limit drops to 35-50 mph, but the open sections are 65 and 70. The larger cities are spaced well for refueling, but the major truck stop chains (Pilot/Flying J/Loves) are not that prevalent. If you're used to using these chains to get propane, you'll need to plan out where you can get some if you take US2.

Places to consider stopping at - Pictured Rocks SP in Michigan, the ship channel in Diluth (stay at Burlington Bay CG in Two Harbors), one of the geographic centers of the US in Rugby ND, Glacier NP and Grand Coulee Dam.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Maryland to Washington State -- best routes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.