cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Uncomfortable Sofa

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK that has a 58" sofa in the rear living area that folds down into a bed. This sofa, which looks pretty good is not very comfortable to sit in. I thought about replacing it with a double reclining theater seat but I hate to give up the sleeper feature. If I go online, there are lots of sleeper sofas available but you never know how comfortable it is without actually sitting in it first. Does anyone out there have a sleeper sofa that they really like or suggestions on where to sample different sofas before buying one? Maybe I should go to RV dealers and see if I can find a sofa that I think is comfortable.
16 REPLIES 16

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Get a comfortable replacement couch that will fit the designated space. Maybe even get a love-seat style that reclines. Forget about finding one that folds out to a bed. NONE are comfortable. And I've slept on dozens and dozens of hide-a-bed's in homes and RV's. None!

Instead, just get an inflatable air mattress that has it's own built in air pump and put it on the floor when you need extra sleeping space. We used an inflatable mattress on the floor in our previous camper because the fold out bed was so horribly uncomfortable.

Our current 5er has 2 opposing slides in the front living room with hide-a-bed, tri-fold outs that almost touch each other in the middle. They are horribly uncomfortable to sleep on. Problem solved.... we got 2 matching air mattresses and put them on top of each fold out bed. With just a push of a button they inflate and deflate. They worked great, but they work even better on the floor, and take up the same space.

Well said and I agree.

Lakeside

jfak7670
Explorer
Explorer
It is hard to find a comfortable one without going to a furniture store. Take measurements in the store and buy it online, if it's cheaper this way. I did exactly like that with my recliner and I'm happy with my choice. I can sleep, nap, read or just watch TV with superior comfort.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sleeping in recliners doesn't work for me. How about a Futon couch to replace your sofa bed ?? I don't know, I'm just wondering.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I love sleeping in my recliner..... best sleep I ever get, while watching Bonanza or Gunsmoke.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
What? you never sleep in a recliner at home???

I despise sleeping in recliners. Hurts my back something fierce.

Though, I know lots of people do it. Maybe I'm the issue. :B
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
What? you never sleep in a recliner at home??? Threw out our fold out and never regretted it.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
We always thought that the purpose of a Sleeper Couch is to ensure that your company doesnโ€™t stay very long!
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

jeremy_kirby
Explorer
Explorer
Twice that steelhunter said. Plywood might help - gives the seat backs some slope/comfort.
As for sleeping, when we had a similar problem, I took a 2" foam pad and cut it to fit the top square of the bed. Meaning everything but the couch cushions. We then put a fitted sheet over it to hold the pad in place, and that made our sofa a better place to sleep, comfortable at least.

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I put a few strips of wood in the bottom of my rv sofa. I also used upgraded foam from an auto upholstery shop and what a difference.

All for just a few dollars....

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Interestingly, my 2004 Itasca's jack-knife sofa is surprisingly comfortable, both for sitting AND sleeping. And that has been verified by several different people who have slept on it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
A comfortable sofa bed is an oxymoron sort of like an honest politician or an honest used car salesman!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about the sleeper feature, I do some of my best sleeping in a recliner.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Get a comfortable replacement couch that will fit the designated space. Maybe even get a love-seat style that reclines. Forget about finding one that folds out to a bed. NONE are comfortable. And I've slept on dozens and dozens of hide-a-bed's in homes and RV's. None!

Instead, just get an inflatable air mattress that has it's own built in air pump and put it on the floor when you need extra sleeping space. We used an inflatable mattress on the floor in our previous camper because the fold out bed was so horribly uncomfortable.

Our current 5er has 2 opposing slides in the front living room with hide-a-bed, tri-fold outs that almost touch each other in the middle. They are horribly uncomfortable to sleep on. Problem solved.... we got 2 matching air mattresses and put them on top of each fold out bed. With just a push of a button they inflate and deflate. They worked great, but they work even better on the floor, and take up the same space.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
I'd look at a furniture store. Take your measurements along, and pick out what you like

This, 100% this.

We had to replace a set of recliners and we just shopped at normal furniture stores for replacements.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page